Introduction, Hi!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Stuka

Introduction, Hi!

Post by Stuka »

I just received my Native 5 in Rex45 earlier this week and thought I'd take the time to register and say hello. I have three other Spyderco knives. A second Native 5 in Cruwear, a Dragonfly 2 in VG10, and a PM2 in S110V. I carry the Dragonfly most often. It's a really handy knife for its size that just disappears when carrying it and the bright orange keeps it easy to find if I set it down outdoors. Since I live in a jurisdiction with 3" blade limits, the Native 5 is the largest knife I can carry regularly, but I feel like the PM2 has the best ergonomics for me so I'll take that with me when I head out camping. Comparing the two Native 5's, the Rex45 has a smoother opening motion, so I am wondering if that is something I can adjust on the Cruwear knife? I've noticed the wear on the cam surface isn't quite even and maybe the profile is causing it to drag more. Another observation between the two knives, which are both G10 scales, is that the smooth G10 on the Cruwear doesn't feel quite as confidence inspiring as the textured G10 on the Rex45. I still really like the Cruwear steel, but the Rex45 knife definitely makes me appreciate the Native 5 design more.
curlyhairedboy

Re: Introduction, Hi!

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Welcome to the community! Maybe try adjusting the pivot screw on the cruwear native?
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Welcome to the forum!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JMM

Post by JMM »

Welcome!
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Welcome aboard!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

All my natives have varying levels of smoothness. My cruwear is actually pretty smooth. You can try adjusting the screw. You can also try oiling the pivot. You can also do nothing. The knife will probably break in over time.

The difference between smooth g10 and peel ply g10 is exactly that, the texture.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Welcome to the forum! :)

Quite an impressive selection of steels for such a rather small (in the context of this forum that is :rolleyes: ) collection! Nice!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Hello!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Stuka,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Welcome Stuka.. great start at your collection! I love the Native 5 too! :)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Welcome. Some fine knives you’ve got there, especially the Dragonfly and Native. Stick around.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Welcome Stuka.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Welcome Stuka!
Some nice Spydies you've got there :)
foofie

Post by foofie »

Welcome.
If you need to stay under 3 inch, and you like the ergos on the pm2 - consider the Para3. Especially considering you can find it in rex45 right now.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Welcome and thanks for sharing. The Para3 LW is an incredible knife you should try if you have medium size hands (it's a little constricting compared to the PM2 or Native5).
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Welcome to the forum!

You should try the Baby Horn. That is a sweet knife, in a sweet size.

Take the clip off and bask in it's glory! ;)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Hey Stuka,

Welcome top the forum!

Like abbazaba said, if you like knives in the Native size range and you like the PM2 ergos you'll love the Para 3. The G-10 Para 3 is my most-carried knife, although the LW hasn't really left my pocket since I got it last week.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

abbazaba wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:18 pm
Welcome and thanks for sharing. The Para3 LW is an incredible knife you should try if you have medium size hands (it's a little constricting compared to the PM2 or Native5).

OP, If you actually do find the Para 3 LW constricting for the hand (I can´t know that of course), maybe the Sage 5 LW is an alternative to consider... looks to have a longer actual grip area (I could be wrong though, just saw pics of the Sage!)

The Sage 5 LW would be my small comp.lock knife choice anyway for other reasons too.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)