Roadie Ti. Hear me out.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Roadie Ti. Hear me out.

Post by Doc Dan »

The McBee is a cool knife but it is too small. However, the materials are first rate. The Roadie is a cool knife of just the right size, but it is too thick behind the edge. Suppose there were a Roadie with a Titanium handle, steel upgrade, and ground much thinner behind the edge. I could envision a high hollow grind or thin full flat grind. I think it would be a great pocket knife. No clip.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mushroom

Re: Roadie Ti. Hear me out.

Post by Mushroom »

I have to disagree on the McBee, it may be small but it's not "too small." It's a fairly capable little knife.

I do like the idea of a Ti Roadie but I think it would technically be a "new" model and would require new tooling to be created. Still, I would love to see an upgraded Roadie, whether thats titanium scales or something else. Glow in the Dark FRN and a new steel could be cool.
- Nick :bug-red
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Yes, that would be neat. Thinner stock, of course.
- best wishes, Jazz.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

What steel would you like to see, Doc?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I like 20CV, M390, XHP all for different reasons. S90V is okay,too (so far I don’t care fir S110v for some reason).
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

I'm with you Doc. I'd buy a Ti Roadie for sure. I'd love a steel upgrade to go along with the Ti as well. I'd like LC200N with Ti for a totally corrosion free Roadie, or since it's such a small blade go full pocket razor with Maxamet with Ti. But frankly, I'd buy a Ti roadie no matter what steel they used.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

LC200N and Ti would get my money.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
jayhawker

Post by jayhawker »

You had me at Roadie Ti, full stop. I actually just pulled my Roadie out the other day to sell it. But couldn't bring myself to do it. It'll probably go back in the drawer. I like nice things too much to carry knives with FRN scales, call me a snob, that's cool. But the design of the Roadie is just so spot on. Please make this happen.
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:12 am
LC200N and Ti would get my money.
And we have a Winner!!!

Perfect!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd buy it.

I think it needs an upgraded steel to sell at the price point that the Ti would require. I'd prefer s110v, personally. But I'd take M390. Some high end stainless, anyway.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Xplorer wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:06 am
...go full pocket razor with Maxamet with Ti.
I'd definitely buy that, but I'm curious if the market would support it.
JMM

Post by JMM »

I use my FRN Chaparral quite frequently as my 2nd EDC - usually my primary is a Manix2 or Shaman...

Now granted I do not own a Roadie, and I like the Ti handle/Steel Upgrade idea on the face of it, but I just don't see how that's going to be useful for much of anything that a FRN Chaparral is useful for? Especially given the request for thinner blade stock.... Help me out, what am I missing?
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

How is a Chaparral a Roadie? Not remotely close.
- best wishes, Jazz.
JMM

Post by JMM »

Jazz wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:57 pm
That's not what I was saying, what I was driving at was more along the lines of: I have a lightweight, slim stock knife with good steel with me most of the time (in a FRN Chaparral) -- what is the appeal/benefit of the proposed knife over that... As I said, I don't own a Roadie, so I was hoping someone could articulate the benefits, or pros/cons.... that's all.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

The a Roadie is small, but not so tiny as the Ladybug. You can get more of your fingers on it. Also it is about the size of a standard number 2 pencil stub.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Honestly, everytime I consider a Roadie, the Baby Horn is there as an alternative.

I looked at the Roadie again last night, now I have another Baby Horn on the way, haha.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

JMM wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:52 pm
Jazz wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:57 pm
That's not what I was saying, what I was driving at was more along the lines of: I have a lightweight, slim stock knife with good steel with me most of the time (in a FRN Chaparral) -- what is the appeal/benefit of the proposed knife over that... As I said, I don't own a Roadie, so I was hoping someone could articulate the benefits, or pros/cons.... that's all.
Non-locking knives can be better travel knives, and the Roadie is super non-threatening. I love the Chap, but there is still a place for the Roadie. Roadie is more of a "slip in the watch pocket" type knife you can have (and use) anywhere.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

If Ti is not feasible, contoured polished ivory white G10 would do nicely.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I like the idea of ivory white G10, Ti would be a distant second. I also do not support the use of Gucci steels in tiny knives as it only serves to drive the cost up and you'll rarely get to see the steel perform at its best in such a tiny package.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:14 am
I like the idea of ivory white G10, Ti would be a distant second. I also do not support the use of Gucci steels in tiny knives as it only serves to drive the cost up and you'll rarely get to see the steel perform at its best in such a tiny package.

I actually quite agree with you for this model. Just a normal steel like it already has, and ivory or white handles sound awesome. FRN or G10. If G10, I could scrimshaw on it.
- best wishes, Jazz.