Stretch in k390

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TenGrainBread

Re: Stretch in k390

Post by TenGrainBread »

sal wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:39 pm
TenGrainBread wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:20 pm
Looks great. Anyone still holding out hope for a Stretch XL eventually?
Funny you should mention it, I'm testing an early prototype.

sal
Looking forward to it :D
The question is will it kick my Manix XL out of the pocket.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I am so excited over this XL I am about to pee in my pants, so to speak. It will likely replace Manix and Military. Can't wait! I really like the straight spine on the Stretch.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Looked it up today, still in the oven cooking eh? I’m hungry for a Stretch and K390.

My Endela K390 refuses to be anything but scalpel sharp, factory edge. Just stropping and one Sharpmaker touchup after a year (or more?) of standard use. Stretch and Endela are so perfect for me, I don’t know how it can be bettered especially with this steel.
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

Having a stretch 2 in v-toku2 EDC , I am excited about the k390 version, I really prefer the drop tip over straight spine , but I am happy with any stretch 2
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

sal wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:39 pm
TenGrainBread wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:20 pm
Looks great. Anyone still holding out hope for a Stretch XL eventually?
Funny you should mention it, I'm testing an early prototype.

sal
Sal, would this XL be straight-spine or drop-point? I thought I could love my SSS, but felt disloyal to my DPs and sold it, well-made though it was.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Grizzly

Post by Grizzly »

Will the sss take up more room in a pocket than a PM2 or less? Forget that it is a tad shorter in oal. I'm wondering if it is as thick and as wide as the PM2 which I recently lost.

I have to wonder if having more metal near the tip of the 1 would ever make a real difference during use over the 2. Any thoughts? I have to admit I very much prefer the sss only for looks.

The only blade I ever broke or remember breaking was a Katz where they drilled a hole down the top of the spine and used a screw for a little piece of plastic that sat on the spine to aid opening.
I used it to pry open the window of my Astro Van years ago when I locked my keys in it. Snap. Right along those threads which probably acted the same way glass does when scored. I can't believe my eyes when I see another famous well known knife maker still using that method.
Grizzly

Post by Grizzly »

I guess this advertising video pretty much answers my question. Can anyone tell me if the Stretch feels any smaller and takes up any less space in jean pockets than a PM2?

https://youtu.be/6iDGWmPobOw&t=52s
Last edited by Grizzly on Fri May 21, 2021 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

My straight spline stretch is pretty much a frn PM2. Other than the rounded heal on the stretch they are identical. I really liked the beefer tip on the normal stretch 2 and feel that was the defining feature separating it from the PM2.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I'm getting very anticipatory about this one, although I don't have the same response Doc Dan mentioned above (though he was talking about the SSSS). I usually just sit on the edge of my chair with bated breath ;) Anybody heard any news about it? I know the new Covid wave in Japan has slowed things down some, but Seki is in the Gifu Prefecture, which hasn't been hit as hard as some of the more populated areas. But I guess knife manufacture is complicated enough that it can be affected by things going on in other places.

I've got some burlap micarta scales coming from Lithuania for mine, and it looks like they're going to beat it here -- nothing against the FRN or color of the series, just a little variety.

Strangely, my interest in the SSS is making me like my original blade shape Stretch 1 & 2 better--nothing like a little variety to spice things up, and that's one thing Spyderco supplies in amazing abundance.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Matus wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:32 am
Thanks guys! I am one of those that find the straight spine boring though, like a Delica/Endura/Endela clone. But it’s just a matter of taste. And I like the looks of Gayle Bradley and SpyOpera.
+1

I would like the Stretch to look like a Stretch. I like curves more than straight lines, looks more natural..
A SSS is like a PM2 and I already have two of those.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Grizzly wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 8:36 pm
I guess this advertising video pretty much answers my question. Can anyone tell me if the Stretch feels any smaller and takes up any less space in jean pockets than a PM2?

https://youtu.be/6iDGWmPobOw&t=52s

The Stretch 1 (diso´ed) clearly does, but also the Stretch 2 to al lesser degree:
- It is a bit shorter than the PM2 when closed
- And, more importantly: The differently shaped handle end ("sloping") takes less space of the upper part of the pocket and makes it easier to slide things by it.
- I think the Stretch is also a bit thinner
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Just for good measure, I will repeat my interest in a drop point K390 Stretch 2! :cool: :spyder: