Military 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hopweaver

Re: Military 2

Post by Hopweaver »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:05 pm
At this stage I am not planning to buy the new model unless it seduces me with a sexy new steel.

I already have 5 and they are just fine.
Same here. I already have 4 and they are perfect. But sexy new steel gets me everytime!
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

The Magna-Millie 2 is happening...
So it goes.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I sure hope so!
applejuice54

Post by applejuice54 »

Does anyone know if blades will be swapable between Millie and Millie 2?

Eric said something like the Millie 2 has “the same great blade” or something that sounded like the blades were the same, which gives me hope for swapping.

And how soon will blade hq take to order the jade m4 dlc version? Of course a magnacut at 63+HRC would also be welcomed. I’ve held off new knives waiting for the Millie 2.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

applejuice54 wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:05 pm
Does anyone know if blades will be swapable between Millie and Millie 2?

Eric said something like the Millie 2 has “the same great blade” or something that sounded like the blades were the same, which gives me hope for swapping.

And how soon will blade hq take to order the jade m4 dlc version? Of course a magnacut at 63+HRC would also be welcomed. I’ve held off new knives waiting for the Millie 2.
They will have different locks, so the blades will not be swappable.
- Nick :bug-red
applejuice54

Post by applejuice54 »

Hey how about that bushing pivot? I assume it is based on the kapara and I’d call that a winner Monday thru Saturday. Sunday carry is delica or sage sized.

Bushing pivot should make the action addictive, as if it isn’t already. I’d guess the pivot hole in the blade is adjusted to accommodate the bushing. Anyone have more knowledge of this?

The kapara handle is a little narrow for optimum compression use, hopefully the military is not narrowed to that extent.

Fanboy here wants one in k390, coated m4, magnacut HRC 63 PLUS, and well treated m390 family HRC 62-64. Nothing wrong with S30V just a little plain Jane in black. Oh and the inevitable S90V in carbon fiber. Is that too much to ask for? Forgot the cruwear micarta, oh and the fluted full titanium.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Applejuice,

Welcome to our forum.

FYI, the only parts of the Military 2 that are the same as the Military 1 are the screws. Ever other part is different.

sal
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Gsg9 wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:39 am
Military is their best overall knife, why mess with it

Their problem is that price-wise they brought it up there where it doesn't sell anymore, so they have to make a change to get the bison to buy it.

Now Military 2
This will be expensive as well so it might quickly go the way of G10 Police 4.

To get the bison to buy it Spyderco is probably targeting a cheapweight/crapweight Military 2 and the G10 version might be just an intermediary/demo product. And once they get there then colors and steels.

Spyderco will not reduce their margins and will not cut MAP, to cut costs they will eventually downgrade the product/materials.

That's why they probably chose the compression lock, cheapweights/crapweights are compression locks or back locks, is there any liner lock?

They didn't event bother offering it in an exotic steel like they did for G10 Police 4 K390 to make it more attractive, they saw it didn't work for G10 Police 4 so why bother.

Having a few G10/Titanium/CF Military I will probably stick to what I have, good ol'times really good stuff.
Whoever likes the Military it's probably a good time to get one if you can find one, despite what they say don't believe will be available for much longer.

If this was BladeForums or some other place, I’d not bother to comment.

But this forum is Spyderco’s own. Your accusations—of they this and they that—cannot but step all over our hosts.

Is it your intention to do so?
-Marc (pocketing a Cruwear Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
makawakaroni

Post by makawakaroni »

applejuice54 wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:17 pm
Hey how about that bushing pivot? I assume it is based on the kapara and I’d call that a winner Monday thru Saturday. Sunday carry is delica or sage sized.

Bushing pivot should make the action addictive, as if it isn’t already. I’d guess the pivot hole in the blade is adjusted to accommodate the bushing. Anyone have more knowledge of this?
There is a Knifecenter video on youtube with Eric discussing the features of the Military 2. If I remember correctly he mentions that it has a pivot bushing.
applejuice54

Post by applejuice54 »

sal wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:07 pm
Hi Applejuice,

Welcome to our forum.

FYI, the only parts of the Military 2 that are the same as the Military 1 are the screws. Ever other part is different.

sal
Thanks Sal figured it would be mostly new, and better. Just hoping to stimulate discussion and info flow. I assume the variants “sprints or dealer exclusives “ are mostly initiated by the dealers and thus limit numbers and have a built in time delay from order to delivery. Thing is I’m getting older and delayed gratification is harder to justify.
T-1000

Post by T-1000 »

Hey Sal, will the M2 be offered in spyderedge upon initial release?
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Eric also mentions that they hope to be able to sell it cheaper than the Military...
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I wonder if a Military 3 could be made which was a multi lock?

I’d love to see a new Military which has a liner lock, a compression lock, axis lock, cbl lock and back lock.

The knife I envision would have a dial or multi position switch discreetly incorporated into the scales allowing toggling between locks.

Perhaps Mr Glesser or one of the more experienced knife makers here could chime in? :cheap-sunglasses
Last edited by Bloke on Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Matus

Post by Matus »

Bloke, I can do that bit for ya. Yeah, one would incorporate a clickable button at the place of lanyard hole to toggle between the locks. There would be a little switch on the other side to lock/unlock this toggle button while this is held half-pressed (to avoid jamming the mechanism). It is a lovely two-hand operation, but easier to do if someone can hold the knife for you tip down. Locks can only be toggled through when the blade is opened.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Matus wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:59 am
Bloke, I can do that bit for ya. …
Thanks Mat, I was pretty sure it was doable just couldn’t quite work it out myself. :winking-tongue
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:37 pm
If this was BladeForums or some other place, I’d not bother to comment.

But this forum is Spyderco’s own. Your accusations—of they this and they that—cannot but step all over our hosts.

Is it your intention to do so?
That is one of the reasons I put that user on ignore.

I for one can't wait for the millie 2. All I wanted was a military I could run tip up. Liner lock is fine! Now though, I'm perfectly happy with a comp lock and tip up.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

sal wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:07 pm

sal
Just wow. That wholesale change can only add to the allure if you’re inclined to be curious like me.

But I must add (as a guy owned by Cairn terriers): “Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kanasas anymore."
-Marc (pocketing a Cruwear Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
resonanzmacher

Post by resonanzmacher »

I am SO stoked to get one of these. Massive props to the team. And you guys are even keeping the classic in stock for the folks who think it's already perfect.

No one else pays this much attention, no one else takes these chances to please their fans. With all the drama in the larger knife community over the last couple of weeks it's pretty refreshing.

Boss moves, y'all.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Just let me get a Military 1 in PE and SE MagnaCut and give it a proper send-off. Peel ply carbon fiber is fine, and if you really wanna get fancy with a real salute to the greatest you can give it a palladium bug in the handle like the Centofante has (and like a previous Forum Military got). While there are still several other steels I'd like to see in a Military, this would at least be a fond fair well.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I would settle for a BBS K390 Ranger Green Military at this point...
So it goes.