Massad Ayoob II Model Maybe?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mushroom

Re: Massad Ayoob II Model Maybe?

Post by Mushroom »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:25 am
Mushroom wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:37 am
StuntZombie wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:58 am
How about some fresh designs rather than just rehashes or reworks of the same models over and over again?
This.

Meanwhile Spyderco are doing the exact opposite bringing out a Military 2 and are going to make a fortune doing it. Their top selling knives are the Delica and Endura which are just new versions of past designs. I want new stuff too but rehashing and updating successful designs is a big part of what Spyderco does.

Right. I wasn’t suggesting they stop doing any of that, I would just like to see more new designs.

- Nick :bug-red
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:41 pm
I apologize if you’re just looking for an echo chamber but I was so let down and disappointed by the C-60 Ayoob after how much it was hyped up on here. It’s just very niche and far from the do-it-all blade it was propped up as. I’d still be interested to see a new design from Massad Ayoob and Spyderco because I really want to see more new designs from Spyderco but my preferences would be for something that departs from the Ayoob design.
Agree completely, though we may not be the majority.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

benben wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:36 pm
StuntZombie wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:58 am
How about some fresh designs rather than just rehashes or reworks of the same models over and over again?
Wore my Ayoob to church this morning and was thinking about this thread….love the handle shape and size, love the gray G-10, LOVE this serrated Cru-Wear!

But, was wondering how a slight leaf shaped blade profile (not quite as broad as a Manix) would work with this same existing handle shape?

So, same handle with a serrated, leaf shaped high hollow grind in Cru-Wear? JD’s head will probably explode if he reads this!
No I'm not going to explode. But do consider that every aspect of Massad Ayoob's design of the C-60 had a reason based on ergonomics and overall efficiency. Myself I like the original streamlined blade. I've found that a streamlined blade has a few distinct advantages. I really love that blade for field dressing deer and other wild game and it also lends to the overall ergonomic aspect of the C-60 model. Not to mention that several people that like it as a self defense knife also find advantages with that blade style.

I'm hoping that he will consider tweaking the original design enough to qualify it is a distinctly different model all together. Sal said in so many words that Mr. Ayoob's reputation is solid with the Spyderco company. So some of the major hurdles have already been cleared it seems. What the heck Spyderco tweaks many of their own classic models from time to time. And as far as collaborations go look how many different variants we had of the Chinook model.

It's all going to depend if Mr. Ayoob can be persuaded to take on this project. I'm hoping that with several enthusiastic fans (many of them on this Forum) that he will consider the possibility. Because I feel it was a great design from the get-go.
R100

Post by R100 »

I'm one of those who loves the Ayoob sprint. It is an amazing cutter and has been beautifully executed by Moki. Some don't like the thinness but that is one of it's best attributes to me. I carry in the right rear pocket and spend lots of field time in a vehicle. A 3 week field trip can be 8000km (5000m). A thick knife is very uncomfortable to sit on but I hardly notice the Ayoob.

I would like an Ayoob 2 and the improvements I'd like to see are a taller blade with a full height hollow grind, forest green G10 scales and a reduction in weight if that is possible. I'd like to keep the Cruwear but Magnacut would probably be OK too. I think it needs a high toughness steel run hard enough for good edge stability. Extra corrosion resistance is always good but I haven't had any problems with Cruwear.

Dan
Danke

Post by Danke »

The handle and blade shape are near perfect. For me the back lock is a let down. Too slow to open.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

I don't know if Mr Ayoob still works with Spyderco. Iirc Massad later designed other knives with other makers. So i might not be that easy asking Mr Ayoob to design a new knife. I would welcome it because i'm a huge fan of "practical tactical " stuff but knife designs seems to be a sensitive subject.
CDEP

Post by CDEP »

The Ayoob is perfect, and I can't imagine a way to improve it. A full hollow might be cool, but it may not mesh with the SD component of the design.

If Mas were interested in designing a new, more EDC oriented folder that veers away from the SD world I'd buy it sight unseen, and I suspect such a knife would have a better chance of a regular production run. I use SD designed knives like the Ayoob and the Yo2 as EDC blades rather than for SD, as I am not trained properly. But, I think there is a larger potential market for non-SD knives that are a bit smaller and more pocket friendly.

Bottom line: If Sal etches Mas' name on a blade I'm buying it...
Brian
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

A bit smaller, lighter, please do a wire clip.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think the best possible (and maybe even only hope) might be for a Salt version. Many people who are into self defense have said they want more rust proof options, particularly those who carry in their wasteband. It sounds like the maker struggled with this so hard that it may never happen though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Captain Quartz

Post by Captain Quartz »

I've taken class from him, back in the day. I did find a blog about this knife at http://knifesearch.blogspot.com/2022/08 ... ayoob.html

Theres a few phots and a skeleton taking a knife to the ribs. I don't know....
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:43 am
I think the best possible (and maybe even only hope) might be for a Salt version. Many people who are into self defense have said they want more rust proof options, particularly those who carry in their wasteband. It sounds like the maker struggled with this so hard that it may never happen though.
On many occasions I've told several people that I thought the C-60 Ayoob would make an excellent Salt Series blade. But I wouldn't limit it to only the one application because that knife has so many viable uses.

A Salt version with a Titanium handle and a corrosion proof blade would be most interesting>> but for sure in both edge types.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Captain Quartz,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:34 am
Evil D wrote:
On many occasions I've told several people that I thought the C-60 Ayoob would make an excellent Salt Series blade. But I wouldn't limit it to only the one application because that knife has so many viable uses.

A Salt version with a Titanium handle and a corrosion proof blade would be most interesting>> but for sure in both edge types.

Well being a Salt doesn't really limit it to working on a fishing boat, it just means you don't have to worry about corrosion anymore. It still functions just as good for EDC or stabbing bad guys, you just don't have to worry about the blood staining the blade :winking-tongue
~David
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:53 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Well being a Salt doesn't really limit it to working on a fishing boat, it just means you don't have to worry about corrosion anymore. It still functions just as good for EDC or stabbing bad guys, you just don't have to worry about the blood staining the blade :winking-tongue

I think the Salt bright yellow would limit its tactical applications, although the Salt bright green would place it straight into the anti-zombie category! Win-win ',:-|
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:02 am
Evil D wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:53 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Evil D wrote:

I think the Salt bright yellow would limit its tactical applications, although the Salt bright green would place it straight into the anti-zombie category! Win-win ',:-|

They make all blacked out DLC Salts, which come to think of it a blacked out DLC Ayoob makes so much sense.
~David
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:45 am

They make all blacked out DLC Salts, which come to think of it a blacked out DLC Ayoob makes so much sense.
That’s a fair point! A blacked-out dlc Ayoob really would be awesome.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:45 pm
Evil D wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:45 am

That’s a fair point! A blacked-out dlc Ayoob really would be awesome.
I would have no problem with that scenario. However I think for a Salt Series model that the serrated model and the plain edged model should have different handle colors ( Yellow/Black maybe) like they used to do once upon a time. When the Spyderhawk was first released the serrated model was black and the plain edged model was blue. Most folks liked it that way.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed hoping that Mr, Ayoob is willing to explore the possibilites.
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

I've been a fan of Massad Ayoob for longer than I've known what a Spyderco is. I'd rather see him design an entirely new model than tweak his existing design, but I'd buy whatever he'd come up with. The recent sprint run is an amazing knife. I'm sure in the years since designing that model, he's had a few ideas about what would make a better knife. Men like that are always questioning what they know and learning new things.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Frozenspyder wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:17 pm
I've been a fan of Massad Ayoob for longer than I've known what a Spyderco is. I'd rather see him design an entirely new model than tweak his existing design, but I'd buy whatever he'd come up with. The recent sprint run is an amazing knife. I'm sure in the years since designing that model, he's had a few ideas about what would make a better knife. Men like that are always questioning what they know and learning new things.
He most certainly has a huge fanbase in the "firearms" community. And I would have to believe that many of Mr. Ayoob's fans in that sector would also be interested in any blade creation that he would come up with.

Before I got my first C-60 Spyderco Ayoob model I had read several of Mr. Ayoob's articles for a magazine that I used to subscribe to. That being the "BackWoodsHome" publication. And he had a huge following in the publication going all the way back to the mid 90s.

He is the real deal and would know what would be desired with cutlery.
ovgcguy

Post by ovgcguy »

Blacked out Ayoob Salt in serrated Magnacut would be perfection