Anyone Else Up For a Resilience in CPM-M4?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
weeping minora

Anyone Else Up For a Resilience in CPM-M4?

Post by weeping minora »

Curious to hear if anyone else is up for a Resilience in CPM-M4?

I'm up for at least a pair. The M4 Tenacious has a wonderfully thin grind behind-the-edge, and has been a joy to use, without having to modify. M4 is a killer steel, to boot, and surely benefits from such geometry. The heat-treatment is well done, as the knives have been performing very well, so much so that the larger sibling getting this same treatment would be hugely welcomed by me!

At the expected price-point, the only real ask for improvement is that they have more consistency in fitment and finish from knife-to-knife (more consistent detent and overall detail in finishing). Out of the two examples that I've experienced, one had a bit of wonkyness to the primary grind near the edge, leading to a bit of a wavy edge, as well as the other having a bit weaker detent. They are both fine otherwise, and where it most counts; surely noticeably better than the 8Cr Resilience that I have. Further progress and improvement in refinement and consistency will only lead to better outcomes for these models at their respective price-points, I think. Kudos to the maker(s) for the notable improvements, as they are on the right track.

I don't expect much of a hype train behind this one, but what say y'all?
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
kerrcobra

Re: Anyone Else Up For a Resilience in CPM-M4?

Post by kerrcobra »

No thanks. I'm probably not the target audience, because I've no interest in purchasing Chinese made knives.
--Jeremy
horzuff

Post by horzuff »

I've been holding off on the Tenacious with this exact in mind! I hope the Resilience get's the same treatment, would be a joy to have that huge blade in M4!
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

horzuff wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:07 am
I've been holding off on the Tenacious with this exact in mind! I hope the Resilience get's the same treatment, would be a joy to have that huge blade in M4!
Absolutely!

I picked up the Tenacious over the recent sale and that sealed the deal! The Tenacious is on the absolute edge of being too small for my hands, though is still ergonomically comfortable. The Resilience would rectify that issue, whilst packing an extra wallop of that M4 goodness!
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Definitely. The S35VN Resilience is one of my go-to knives. I would love it in M4.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Double
Urkilnmesmalls

Post by Urkilnmesmalls »

I would buy one instantly. Been kinda wanting to try a spyderco in m4 and the Resilience is one of my all time favorite users
toomanyquestions

Post by toomanyquestions »

A Resilience in M4 would be a little interesting (I generally try to avoid Chinese items when I can summon the discipline).

I would seriously consider an Emphasis in M4.
Drubieg

Post by Drubieg »

The s35vn resilience has been hard to resist, since I also have a bias against Chinese made things when I can help it. M4 resilience would be even harder to resist. Maybe if I can be convinced that my bias can have an exception since it’s Spyderco….
capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

Yep, i askedfor this as soon as the tenacious came out. You can’t find a knife with so much blade in the handle anywhere else
Erich

Post by Erich »

The China knives are very good. The g10 Tenacious is a nimble tank with an acute, shearing blade that still has a lot of strength despite how thin it is behind the edge. My m4 came very sharp from the factory.
Fastidiotus

Post by Fastidiotus »

I really lost my appreciation for the tenacious family after I tried to take both an 8cr and a s35vn model apart. After 3 hours of searching, reading, attempting, neither went back together. Taken dozens and dozens of knives, cheap and expensive, apart and never had an issue. The M4 Tenacious was what I was most excited for last year but after realizing the build quality makes them unserviceable I lost my love for the knife. Spyderco makes a lot of truly great knives but the budget Chinese line is something I'm personally never touching again.
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Fastidiotus wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:14 pm
I really lost my appreciation for the tenacious family after I tried to take both an 8cr and a s35vn model apart. After 3 hours of searching, reading, attempting, neither went back together. Taken dozens and dozens of knives, cheap and expensive, apart and never had an issue. The M4 Tenacious was what I was most excited for last year but after realizing the build quality makes them unserviceable I lost my love for the knife. Spyderco makes a lot of truly great knives but the budget Chinese line is something I'm personally never touching again.
In what way was reassembly an issue for you?

I took down two M4 Tenacious' and had zero issues getting them back together. Now, the Delica family is another story... but this is the first time hearing of the Tenacious family being an issue :thinking?
olywa

Post by olywa »

Hmmm ... I tore my S35 Resilience down and re-scaled it in micarta. It's been a little while, but I don't remember having any difficulties taking it apart or reassembling it.
Fastidiotus

Post by Fastidiotus »

I didn't have any issues taking them apart. Both knives had a thick white-ish loctite that resembled dried toothpaste but it didn't require a soldering iron or anything to remove the screws, they came out easily. The threaded standoffs or barrels running along the back of the handle were the problem in reassembly. On both knives 2 of the 3 barrels appeared to have galled threads on one side of the barrel. You can start the screws but one of the screws won't seat fully. Flipping the barrel around changes the side of the knife the screw won't tighten on. Cleaned the screws of loctite, cleaned the barrels of loctite. Between the 2 knives 4 of the barrels had the same issue, tried all the screws in the 2 good barrels and all would run in fully without issue. Gave up, moved on, have a Tenacious with a standoff missing and another tenacious in a ziplock bag.
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

That would be amazing…the resilience is my favorite model among the Chinese liner locks and M4 is one of my favorite tool steels.

The resilience is highly under-appreciated (probably because of its size). It has this bullet proof, “beat me up” kind of attitude…and that click when you open it, holy moley…
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

A clear yes.

Always for more mid to high end linerlock - (as alternatives or instead of comp.lock - ) Spydies and also for more models with a good amount of cutting edge to closed size ratio!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

To me, the price point is the primary attraction with Chinese value line. That difference becomes less obvious with the higher end steels.
Sure the designs are good as well, and if you prefer your edge all the way up to the handle, there's not a whole lot of options in the Spyderco lineup.
It's still a hard pick for me, and I'd probably dig a little deeper in my pocket and opt for a Military Model (2) if I want a knife of that size in a premium steel. It's mostly a weight issue, I think. As I seem to remember from my brief acquaintance with a MM1, it's more nimble in hand and less of an anchor in pocket. To me that could be the difference between carrying a knife or leaving it in a drawer to dust.
Funnily enough I say that owning a Tenacious and a Resilience, but no Military Model (atm).
I got the 8Cr Tenacious LW SE ridiculously cheap (in European terms) so it was intended as a beater knife and low risk introduction to the Tenacious family. As it turns out, I don't really have much need for a beater folding knife, but if I was working in construction or similar trade, or even my old position as a field engineer, where hard use and loosing tools is commonplace - I'd definitively see the attraction of this knife in this budget option.

The Resilience is too big for me as a work knife, but for those who require this size, either for the blade length or the handle size, it's a Tenacious option for giants. I did end up getting mine in S35VN, but it was a tough decision. I wanted a large CE folding knife as a stash-/backup knife for my 4WD. And even though the S35VN CE was on disco sale, so was the 8Cr, so the price difference was still significant. It probably wont see a lot of use and mostly just light food prep tasks on longer road trips, but it is a backup knife so if I loose or forget my primary folding knife I decided want both the stain resistance and edge retention of S35. At double the price of very little, it was still quite affordable.
Pacu0420

Post by Pacu0420 »

Yes, absolutely! I've got the S35VN version and love it! I didn't really like the blue, so I dyed the scales black. But it's great for when I feel like carrying a larger folder.

And I love M4. I've got the GB2 folder and that is fantastic steel. And if they did it in micarta or G10 instead of FRN it would be that much better.
Top 6 EDC Spydies: 15V Shaman, S45VN Para3 (Flytanium Scales), S90V DLT PM2, MagnaCut Native5, Crucarta PM2, Maxamet Manix2
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

aicolainen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:38 am
To me, the price point is the primary attraction with Chinese value line. That difference becomes less obvious with the higher end steels.
Sure the designs are good as well, and if you prefer your edge all the way up to the handle, there's not a whole lot of options in the Spyderco lineup.
It's still a hard pick for me, and I'd probably dig a little deeper in my pocket and opt for a Military Model (2) if I want a knife of that size in a premium steel. It's mostly a weight issue, I think. As I seem to remember from my brief acquaintance with a MM1, it's more nimble in hand and less of an anchor in pocket. To me that could be the difference between carrying a knife or leaving it in a drawer to dust.
Actually the Resilience LW has a better "weight to edge length" ratio than both Milli 1 and Millie 2:

All three weight exactly the same (4.4 oz, in grams the Millie has 1 less (124 grams vs 125...), but the Resilience LW gives you 108 mm/4.25" of cutting edge vs "just" 93 mm / 3.65" on the Millie. To me a substantial difference!

Also, the Resilience is shorter when closed (133mm vs 140 mm Millie) plus has an a bit slimmer handle end, that "blocks" the pocket less and lets the hand slide by better.

So I think the Resilience LW is actually a BETTER carry than the Millie and less "of an anchor" in pocket
(and the thinner blade, better ergos, grippy FRN and linerlock make it a win for me over the Millie 2 anyway)

The G10 Resilience though is heavier indeed (143 grams / 5.1 oz)!

/ From real, extensive experience I can only compare the "family members" one step smaller, so Tenacious LW vs PM2 - and for me the Tenacious LW (in S35VN) beats the PM 2 in pretty much every aspect (and all points should be true for Resilience LW vs Millie 2 too):
Same weight, but shorter carry with a lot more edge (like an Endura), better ergos, grippy FRN, thinner blade, linerlock...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)