Martial Arts Experiences Discussion Thread

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
James Y

Re: Martial Arts Experiences Discussion Thread

Post by James Y »

Stuff the "Masters" Won't Tell You

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:39 pm
James Y wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:59 am
Naperville wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:40 pm
James Y wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:53 pm

I would say I'm in decent shape. Especially compared to back when I was a training junkie. I still have a 6-pack, but it's hidden under a little bit of flab, even though I'm approaching my ideal weight again. I look pretty good in a shirt, though...

😄

One of my former training partners was about 5' 6", and he told me over the phone that he had ballooned up to 240 pounds, and it wasn't muscle weight. He had been at a lighter weight than I was, back when I was between 160 to 165 lbs.

Over the years, I noticed that many martial artists become pear-shaped, or even obese, when they hit middle age and old age. A few notable exceptions include Bill Wallace, Chuck Norris, and Benny Urquidez. Of course, both Wallace and Urquidez are still active professional martial arts teachers; but I've seen a ton (no pun intended) of obese professional martial arts instructors.

Jim
I can see a 4-Pack. If I want to see a 6-Pack I have to open the refrigerator! :winking-tongue

Just joking. I only drink 1 to 2 times a year and right now this house is dry. Drinking will not help me when I am cutting calories. I'll celebrate when I hit 170lbs!

You will reach your goal, I'm sure of it.

I'm very careful about the using the word "old" when referring to myself. I'm turning 61 in a few days, and I don't consider myself old, but I know that I am old(er). Most people have a subconscious association between the words "old" and "feeble." IMO, this creates a situation in which every time we think of, or refer to ourselves as "old," we are subconsciously creating the conditions in our reality that reflect our beliefs. This might sound "woo-woo" to many or most people, but I don't care. There's a lot of examples I know of that support it.

Of course, when you're in your 20s, you think EVERYONE who's past their 20s is old. Being 50 is considered ancient. Then when you're 60, you think 50 is young.

To anyone who considers turning 40 as really old, I give you this caveat: It's gonna come and go so fast your head will spin. Then you'll be the one pointing your finger at the young "whippersnappers" and snarling through clenched teeth, "Get off my lawn!" in a Clint Eastwood voice. Not referring to you, Naperville, but a collective "You."

😅

Jim
Well, don't stand there Jim. Get off my lawn!!! You're the young whipper-snapper in this conversation!

:squinting-tongue

I agree with everything you said 100%!

To say that I will hit 170 is an understatement. Ozempic is weird. I realized this morning that on the small mg starter shot that I will be taking for the first month that my appetite is almost completely gone. What popped into my head is that one may eat for pleasure, because they are hungry, or because they have been eating for X+ years and eating is just something that everyone is expected to do 2 to 3 times a day.....SO GET EATING! As I am trying to lose weight my dilemma is, what is the amount that I should be eating not to collapse!!!

I am not light headed and there are no signs at the moment that I need or want anything to eat.

It is 2:30PM here and I've only had a cup of tea and I am not hungry at all. I'll be giving myself the maximum strength shots in ~30 days. I assume my appetite will be non existent at that point and I'll be force feeding to avoid death. I ate food and drank a can of pop yesterday and afterward realized I was not hungry and it was something that I did (consume food/beverage) because I always do it!

I've heard that some people had to stop taking this drug because they could not stop losing weight! For me that would be if I dropped below 160lbs.

I am thinking also that soon I will have to be exercising to lose the loose skin and tighten everything up.

Just be very careful that you're not starving your body.

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

James Y wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 7:24 pm
Stuff the "Masters" Won't Tell You

Jim
I don't know that I ever called it the bounce, maybe the tap. It's advanced. It is used a lot in knife arts while sparring with rattan, which in reality is a machete. Machetes and knives are too dangerous so those training work with wood, aluminum, or plastic trainers.

There are a lot of advanced movements in escrima, arnis and kali and you do not have to train with 2 blades at once to be advanced.

Whenever I see anyone grabbed when they have a knife, I hold my breath and wait to see if they know how to use a blade. It is very tricky to deal with anyone who has anything sharp and pointy on them.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

James Y wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 10:40 pm
Naperville wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:39 pm
James Y wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:59 am
Naperville wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:40 pm

I can see a 4-Pack. If I want to see a 6-Pack I have to open the refrigerator! :winking-tongue

Just joking. I only drink 1 to 2 times a year and right now this house is dry. Drinking will not help me when I am cutting calories. I'll celebrate when I hit 170lbs!

You will reach your goal, I'm sure of it.

I'm very careful about the using the word "old" when referring to myself. I'm turning 61 in a few days, and I don't consider myself old, but I know that I am old(er). Most people have a subconscious association between the words "old" and "feeble." IMO, this creates a situation in which every time we think of, or refer to ourselves as "old," we are subconsciously creating the conditions in our reality that reflect our beliefs. This might sound "woo-woo" to many or most people, but I don't care. There's a lot of examples I know of that support it.

Of course, when you're in your 20s, you think EVERYONE who's past their 20s is old. Being 50 is considered ancient. Then when you're 60, you think 50 is young.

To anyone who considers turning 40 as really old, I give you this caveat: It's gonna come and go so fast your head will spin. Then you'll be the one pointing your finger at the young "whippersnappers" and snarling through clenched teeth, "Get off my lawn!" in a Clint Eastwood voice. Not referring to you, Naperville, but a collective "You."

😅

Jim
Well, don't stand there Jim. Get off my lawn!!! You're the young whipper-snapper in this conversation!

:squinting-tongue

I agree with everything you said 100%!

To say that I will hit 170 is an understatement. Ozempic is weird. I realized this morning that on the small mg starter shot that I will be taking for the first month that my appetite is almost completely gone. What popped into my head is that one may eat for pleasure, because they are hungry, or because they have been eating for X+ years and eating is just something that everyone is expected to do 2 to 3 times a day.....SO GET EATING! As I am trying to lose weight my dilemma is, what is the amount that I should be eating not to collapse!!!

I am not light headed and there are no signs at the moment that I need or want anything to eat.

It is 2:30PM here and I've only had a cup of tea and I am not hungry at all. I'll be giving myself the maximum strength shots in ~30 days. I assume my appetite will be non existent at that point and I'll be force feeding to avoid death. I ate food and drank a can of pop yesterday and afterward realized I was not hungry and it was something that I did (consume food/beverage) because I always do it!

I've heard that some people had to stop taking this drug because they could not stop losing weight! For me that would be if I dropped below 160lbs.

I am thinking also that soon I will have to be exercising to lose the loose skin and tighten everything up.

Just be very careful that you're not starving your body.

Jim
I blew it today, ate 3 small meals and felt stuffed. My stomach is shrinking. I need to cut it down to 1 small meal or skip eating every other day. I'm built like a polar bear with a layer of fat all over my body. I have to force autophagy to burn the fat, some of which is very deep.

I found a chart from the Cleveland Clinic that said I have to get down to 160lbs to not be considered overweight for my height. It cannot be done quickly or I'll definitely have problems.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
James Y

Post by James Y »

'What Would You Do in this Scenario?'

*Video below*

The question is rhetorical. There is no real answer, because no one knows, unless or until it happens to them. And even then, every situation, and the people involved, are different.

I'm willing to bet that a large percentage of the guys who always post online that "If someone tries to attack me, I'll just run away," or "One inch of shoe sole rubber beats 5 inches of steel for self-defense" probably wouldn't fare much better than this gentleman did. As you can see, he clearly isn't dressed to run away. Even if he was dressed in running shoes, I'm pretty sure the attacker could have easily caught up to him. Not to mention he wasn't alone, but was with a wife or girlfriend. Now take into consideration the effects of surprise/sudden aggression of the attacker, adrenaline, environmental factors (including objects that might trip you up, like that bench), etc.

This is not to blame the victim. He had every right to enjoy a night out with his wife/GF without getting attacked by some violent, entitled thug. But many people out there who think they know all about SD solely through watching YouTube videos and MMA fights, tend to be very smug when it comes to the concept of being attacked on the street. If/when it ever does actually happen to them, it would no longer only be a theoretical concept; it would be an immediate, ugly reality.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

'Invisible Elbow -- the Perfect Technique'

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Deadly Muay Thai Elbow KO

Set up perfectly. Short and sweet, right on the chin.

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

If and when the bullets run out there will be the martial arts of escrima, arnis and kali.