Copy Cat compression lock.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cletus

Copy Cat compression lock.

Post by Cletus »

There is a copy of the compression lock new on the market. From China. I don't know if it is patented, but figure y'all should know. It's basically a copy of the Smock.
Guts

Re: Copy Cat compression lock.

Post by Guts »

The patent on the compression lock ran out 2-3 years ago iirc, so probably going to be seeing a lot more copycat designs.
:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
araneae

Post by araneae »

It's not really a copycat, being it's open for use now by the knife world. That's the way patents work. Also, it isn't really new on the market, Vosteed has been doing them since this time last year.

The real question is what should the non-Spydie version be called? I believe compression lock is trademarked as a name. Just as crossbar lock has come to be pretty accepted as a generic term for the Axis style lock. Glesser compression style lock doesn't roll off the tongue, maybe CTL- compressing tab lock/CT lock.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
jdw

Post by jdw »

It’s such a popular style of lock it’s surprising to me that the market isn’t flooded with knockoffs.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

That may have to do with cost and ease of manufacture.
Last edited by jwbnyc on Sat May 04, 2024 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

I was concerned, because I thought that Spyderco still had the patent. I suppose that we will now see many more variations of Sal's lock out and about. It really is an excellent design.
James Y

Post by James Y »

One of the big considerations for me about a compression-style lock from another company would be: Have they put enough attention into the details that make the lock as good as it is? Meaning materials, tolerances, etc., etc., in the same way that Spyderco does. I'm not saying they can't; I'm simply asking, would they, or could they?

Jim
phaust

Post by phaust »

James Y wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 10:08 am
One of the big considerations for me about a compression-style lock from another company would be: Have they put enough attention into the details that make the lock as good as it is? Meaning materials, tolerances, etc., etc., in the same way that Spyderco does. I'm not saying they can't; I'm simply asking, would they, or could they?

Jim
If the market options with the "cross bar" lock post patent expiration are representative, I'd say the answer is a big yes. Much better versions of that lock came out after the patent expired.

--
It seems the market isn't flooded with comp locks like it became post patent with "cross bar" ones because it isn't that popular. That shows how special designs like the PM2 are to be so popular despite the lock.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

phaust wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 11:11 am
James Y wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 10:08 am
If the market options with the "cross bar" lock post patent expiration are representative, I'd say the answer is a big yes. Much better versions of that lock came out after the patent expired.

--
It seems the market isn't flooded with comp locks like it became post patent with "cross bar" ones because it isn't that popular. That shows how special designs like the PM2 are to be so popular despite the lock.

I figure overall crossbar-lock-style folders have going for them the total ambidextrous nature of the lock and the potentially better ergos (no cutout at the top of the handle).

I do prefer a Spyderco comp.lock over a Benchmade axxis lock, but only because on the latter (in my particular knife) the omega springs broke on me and the knife came open in pocket twice and cut me.
If there are more durable crossbar-style locks with better/stronger closing bias, I´d take that over a comp. lock personally.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

jwbnyc wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 8:44 am
That may have to do with cost and ease of manufacture.
I don't think it's easy to manufacture. IIRC, Sal himself said that the tolerances for the compression lock is much higher and tighter than other locks.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet