Spymyto is hot!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Giygas

Re: Spymyto is hot!

Post by Giygas »

[I accidentally posted this in the "What did you use your Spyderco for last" thread earlier, but I meant to post it here so I guess I will now]

The factory edge came hair whittling sharp, but the overall geometry made this a frustrating experience:

Random shot of it compared to the LionSpy:

Blade geometry aside, this is an incredibly well made knife.

Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
18 Spydies, 15 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

What about the blade geometry made it a frustrating experience? The blade thickness?
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Last edited by Buddafucco on Tue May 07, 2024 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
•• Beau
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

gimibala wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 7:25 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 2:50 pm
SSD_777 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 1:26 pm
https://www.knivesplus.com/spyderco-spy ... anium.html

Edit: Out of stock
I just clicked your link for KnivesPlus and they had them in stock. I went ahead and ordered one. They're still showing in stock

I had decided I didn't want one of these but you enablers caught me at a weak moment. Now there's one on the way. I figure, if nothing else, it'll be a nice one for my collection

EDIT: Now it says out of stock. We'll see if I actually get one
Sharp Guy,
Did you receive confirmation from Knivesplus that the transaction went through?
If “yes” that means you got the knife.
Anyway it looks like the Spymyto is selling very fast.
Yes I received an OC shortly after I posted. So I knew the order went through. I've done this at least a couple hundred times now lol. I also received a shipping notification this morning. So all is good

I know you were trying to be helpful. Thank you for that.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
MaxxdOut

Post by MaxxdOut »

Spyderwebs wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 1:17 pm
Spymyto mixed in with the current SotC.

With only 12 hours on it, I really really like this knife. The flipper is kinda worthless - I tried it but prefer the spydie flick over the flipper. Cool feature, but removed. The relief around the flipper is kinda sharp, and does not feel nice if you mash your finger into it. For a successful flick I found it better to flip straight down, parallel with the handle, and no force into the handle.

Action is great. Smooth, no grit. Flicks and locks up very nicely. Lock has no stick. Engagement is mid-way so perfect locking all around. Buttery smooth with a little silicone lube, even before a proper break in.

The rounded spine and hole are great. I could get behind this on more models. Or I might try it myself on a rubber-silicone carbide deburring wheel on my Centrofante 3 or maybe Endela.

I like the clip more than I thought I would. I have deep carry on everything, and this one scratches that itch nicely.

The Micarta is nice - it feels slightly more 'filled' than the CruCarta did initially. Out of the box its almost gray-green. Not very 'OD green', but I like it. I see with a little wetting (from water) it darkens and becomes more greenish. It will age nicely with some hand oils.

The lines on this knife are really great. The rounded spine blends nicely with the pivot side contours. Very compact compared to a lot of Spyders with taller, triangular blades. Reminds me of a shorter Native Chief almost.

The edge came pull-cut sharp but not the sharpest one out of the box I have seen. Bevel is has minor centering mismatch, like 60/40, but not bad.

The only things Im not a huge fan of - Frame locks are less fidget-y than Comp or Back lock. The frame lock is growing on me, but in terms of a fidget thingy, frame locks are inherently less so. Not a big deal as the action, lock, and unlock is very nice, and I needed to try a frame lock. 2nd, the 4mm blade stock is a wedge. 4mm is overly thick for this type of knife. 3mm would have been ideal IMO.

The soft case was a very nice feature. Much better than the standard box. Fit an finish of everything is excellent.

If you are on the fence, your FOMO should be growing bigly.
Awesome feedback! Thanks for sharing. Gotta admit I'm disappointed on your feedback concerning the flipper. I was hopeful it was going to be a nice addition.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Wright.88 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 2:15 pm
What about the blade geometry made it a frustrating experience? The blade thickness?
I'm wondering too. Something's wrong if it's peeling cardboard like that. We had a recliner delivered the other day and it came in two large boxes made of really thick card board. I used a SPY27 Manix 2 LW and K390 Endela to break them down. Both knives did great but as the edges started to break down they started shredding the cardboard like in those pictures. My Sharpmaker was nearby and a quick touch up and they were back to slicing the cardboard nicely again.

I've also used my Paysan to break down cardboard. Blade stock doesn't get much thicker than that and it does nicely

I'll be sure to test my Spymyto when it gets here
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Giygas wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 1:51 pm
[I accidentally posted this in the "What did you use your Spyderco for last" thread earlier, but I meant to post it here so I guess I will now]

The factory edge came hair whittling sharp, but the overall geometry made this a frustrating experience:

Random shot of it compared to the LionSpy:

Blade geometry aside, this is an incredibly well made knife.

That's my fear since it's flat ground and not to an acute angle. I guess I'll see how mine cuts !
Dropping the angle down might help
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 2:33 pm
Wright.88 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 2:15 pm
I'm wondering too. Something's wrong if it's peeling cardboard like that. We had a recliner delivered the other day and it came in two large boxes made of really thick card board. I used a SPY27 Manix 2 LW and K390 Endela to break them down. Both knives did great but as the edges started to break down they started shredding the cardboard like in those pictures. My Sharpmaker was nearby and a quick touch up and they were back to slicing the cardboard nicely again.

I've also used my Paysan to break down cardboard. Blade stock doesn't get much thicker than that and it does nicely

I'll be sure to test my Spymyto when it gets here
It's a combination of edge angle and thickness. The factory edge looks similar to a CRK factory edge, ~23dps. The thinnest BTE measurement I could get was .025", but that was only for about 7mm of the blade. It's .028" BTE for most of the flat, gradually transitioning to .035" at the tip.

I'm sure dropping the edge angle is gonna help, but based on my experience sharpening the .012" BTE m398 I've been testing, I'm really not looking forward to reprofiling this.

Edit: just for clarity, I'm not bashing the knife at all. I really like it. I think its probably one of the best deals currently available.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
18 Spydies, 15 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Last edited by Buddafucco on Tue May 07, 2024 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
•• Beau
Appler

Post by Appler »

I'll say it again: Buddafucco is a national treasure.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

SpyMyto is selling for about $100 more on eBay already.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
gimibala

Post by gimibala »

RamZar wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 4:11 pm
SpyMyto is selling for about $100 more on eBay already.
It’s not worth to buy the knife at $230 and sell on eBay for $330

eBay, PayPal takes fees and in the end you might make around $40

If that would be me I would list it for sale at $500-$600
ramblinwreck

Post by ramblinwreck »

I wonder if the secondary market prices keep climbing after all the dealers are out? $231 seems like a great buy for this knife.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

ramblinwreck wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 4:31 pm
$231 seems like a great buy for this knife.

I think $231 is a very good price for the Spyderco SpyMyto with M398 & Canvas Micarta considering the LionSteel Myto with M390 & Canvas Micarta is $210. The SpyMyto is also limited edition.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
gimibala

Post by gimibala »

ramblinwreck wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 4:31 pm
I wonder if the secondary market prices keep climbing after all the dealers are out? $231 seems like a great buy for this knife.
Since this Spymyto is a “flash batch “ at 2000 pieces worldwide and each piece has a number on it I believe it will be a high collectible knife and the price by the end of the year will be $400 for sure.
infinkc

Post by infinkc »

MaxxdOut wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 2:31 pm
Spyderwebs wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 1:17 pm
Spymyto mixed in with the current SotC.

With only 12 hours on it, I really really like this knife. The flipper is kinda worthless - I tried it but prefer the spydie flick over the flipper. Cool feature, but removed. The relief around the flipper is kinda sharp, and does not feel nice if you mash your finger into it. For a successful flick I found it better to flip straight down, parallel with the handle, and no force into the handle.

Action is great. Smooth, no grit. Flicks and locks up very nicely. Lock has no stick. Engagement is mid-way so perfect locking all around. Buttery smooth with a little silicone lube, even before a proper break in.

The rounded spine and hole are great. I could get behind this on more models. Or I might try it myself on a rubber-silicone carbide deburring wheel on my Centrofante 3 or maybe Endela.

I like the clip more than I thought I would. I have deep carry on everything, and this one scratches that itch nicely.

The Micarta is nice - it feels slightly more 'filled' than the CruCarta did initially. Out of the box its almost gray-green. Not very 'OD green', but I like it. I see with a little wetting (from water) it darkens and becomes more greenish. It will age nicely with some hand oils.

The lines on this knife are really great. The rounded spine blends nicely with the pivot side contours. Very compact compared to a lot of Spyders with taller, triangular blades. Reminds me of a shorter Native Chief almost.

The edge came pull-cut sharp but not the sharpest one out of the box I have seen. Bevel is has minor centering mismatch, like 60/40, but not bad.

The only things Im not a huge fan of - Frame locks are less fidget-y than Comp or Back lock. The frame lock is growing on me, but in terms of a fidget thingy, frame locks are inherently less so. Not a big deal as the action, lock, and unlock is very nice, and I needed to try a frame lock. 2nd, the 4mm blade stock is a wedge. 4mm is overly thick for this type of knife. 3mm would have been ideal IMO.

The soft case was a very nice feature. Much better than the standard box. Fit an finish of everything is excellent.

If you are on the fence, your FOMO should be growing bigly.
Awesome feedback! Thanks for sharing. Gotta admit I'm disappointed on your feedback concerning the flipper. I was hopeful it was going to be a nice addition.
Interesting that most are removing the flipper, but that is how the knife was originally designed as the Myto. Seems the spydie hole is superior once again.
Spyderwebs

Post by Spyderwebs »

MaxxdOut wrote:
Take it with a grain of salt - I only own spyderco folders as i deem the spydie hole as the only acceptable way to open a folding knife.

Never been tempted by a folder without a thumb hole.

If you like flippers then you will like the Spymyto flipper too. It worked a lot better with my middle finger than my pointer.
MaxxdOut

Post by MaxxdOut »

Spyderwebs wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 5:32 pm
MaxxdOut wrote:
Take it with a grain of salt - I only own spyderco folders as i deem the spydie hole as the only acceptable way to open a folding knife.

Never been tempted by a folder without a thumb hole.

If you like flippers then you will like the Spymyto flipper too. It worked a lot better with my middle finger than my pointer.
Thanks, I primarily have Spyderco’s in my collection. This is my first hole and flipper folder. I’m looking forward to trying it out.
BAX229

Post by BAX229 »

BAX229 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 7:54 am
The FOMO is strong with this one.
The FOMO has ended :cheap-sunglasses
:usflag :respect
MaxxdOut

Post by MaxxdOut »

BAX229 wrote: