If you know anything about the Mule Team

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
cckw

Post by cckw »

I am really digging the Cobalt Mule, but without any experience. Just based on the limited tech info and appearance of it. I don't have an S90V, but do have 2 M4's, 2 S35vn, 2 Damascus, 1 Chinese, & 2 Blue). But right now and I am looking forward to trying the Cobalt more then any other.

I'm going to put nice wood handles on some of these when it warms up.
VeraX_Knives

Re: If you know anything about the Mule Team

Post by VeraX_Knives »

Sorry for the bringing up the dead but YES I have searched this forum very briefly but what exactly is "cobalt special"? Is that something that is knowable elementally and.. how's it actually made? I gathered it's a laminated construction which.. makes absolutely no sense to me. I can't just stick cobalt on iron. Halp 😩
You say E = mc² × I argue E² = m²c⁴ + p²c²
Jason Ward shockey01@gmail.com +1 412-726-8610 My Discord
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

VeraX_Knives wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 10:31 am
Sorry for the bringing up the dead but YES I have searched this forum very briefly but what exactly is "cobalt special"? Is that something that is knowable elementally and.. how's it actually made? I gathered it's a laminated construction which.. makes absolutely no sense to me. I can't just stick cobalt on iron. Halp 😩
Coming from someone of your stature, I'm puzzled that you don't have any knowledge regarding the existence of this steel :thinking?

Cobalt Special is an ingot steel made by Takefu in Japan; which is also known as and marketed as CoS, or CoS-3. I believe it has been around for about 15 years. It looks like the aim was to be a potential upgrade to VG-10, though I have never found a source exclaiming this as true. Many folks seem to really like the steel and note that it is an upgrade in performance when compared to VG-10, nonetheless. Spyderco has released a Mule in the steel, and Fallkniven uses it quite a bit in their line-up, although it is quite a bit more costly when compared to their VG-10 counterparts/offerings.

https://zknives.com/knives/steels/steel ... al%2Cvg-10

As a side note, I'd like to see Spyderco run more models in CoS, but I believe the cost-per-performance when compared to VG-10 was the ultimate factor in not pursuing the steel any further.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
VeraX_Knives

Post by VeraX_Knives »

weeping minora wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 3:55 pm
VeraX_Knives wrote:
Coming from someone of your stature, I'm puzzled that you don't have any knowledge regarding the existence of this steel :thinking?

Cobalt Special is an ingot steel made by Takefu in Japan; which is also known as and marketed as CoS, or CoS-3. I believe it has been around for about 15 years. It looks like the aim was to be a potential upgrade to VG-10, though I have never found a source exclaiming this as true. Many folks seem to really like the steel and note that it is an upgrade in performance when compared to VG-10, nonetheless. Spyderco has released a Mule in the steel, and Fallkniven uses it quite a bit in their line-up, although it is quite a bit more costly when compared to their VG-10 counterparts/offerings.

As a side note, I'd like to see Spyderco run more models in CoS, but I believe the cost-per-performance when compared to VG-10 was the ultimate factor in not pursuing the steel any further.
I didn't exactly think to look up cobalt special on zknives - ya I would think I'd know of it also frankly lmao but I didn't that's life I'm not Jesus. There's a lot of alloys in metals alone obviously and I specifically do high alloy high carbide alloys(aside from aluminum ones for engines and.. basic stuff), PM ones for kitchen knives and get people off of the JIS "JDM cliche" as I call it, thinking about it now I actually do believe that I have heard of it, but thank you much for the clarification mate, seriously. "Cobalt Special" doesn't read as an alloy to me. That was the disconnect. To me, I'm sorry but I'll just say it this is a marketing experiment not .. science lol. And I'm not saying anything negative about it because it's not a bad idea just we all know that what I'm interested in happens long before it hits a forum or the public. I just don't belong here in this specific forum anymore I'm aware of this don't worry lol 😆

-Jas
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

VeraX_Knives wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 6:48 am
weeping minora wrote:
VeraX_Knives wrote:

I didn't exactly think to look up cobalt special on zknives - ya I would think I'd know of it also frankly lmao but I didn't that's life I'm not Jesus. There's a lot of alloys in metals alone obviously and I specifically do high alloy high carbide alloys(aside from aluminum ones for engines and.. basic stuff), PM ones for kitchen knives and get people off of the JIS "JDM cliche" as I call it, thinking about it now I actually do believe that I have heard of it, but thank you much for the clarification mate, seriously. "Cobalt Special" doesn't read as an alloy to me. That was the disconnect. To me, I'm sorry but I'll just say it this is a marketing experiment not .. science lol. And I'm not saying anything negative about it because it's not a bad idea just we all know that what I'm interested in happens long before it hits a forum or the public. I just don't belong here in this specific forum anymore I'm aware of this don't worry lol 😆

-Jas
Let's do a little math. The alloy in question has been available for about 15 years. The Mule Team run was made 13 years ago. So the steel had only been around for a couple of years at that time. Fun fact, it takes one to two years to get a batch of steel and turn it into a Mule Team run, which makes me think Sal ordered steel when it was announced.

As for it being a marketing experiment rather than science, you are more or less correct. The Mule Team has always been about real world testing, which often yields very different results from what science says to expect.
VeraX_Knives

Post by VeraX_Knives »

That's not science that's people who think they know what science is and why the USA is long behind China. We forgot how to do real science a long time ago. I still do it however the world doesn't. Oh no it's going to effect emotions! That's not science lol that's psychology.

I can defend mengele for this. I don't necessarily agree but I can not say that oh. Ya that's not a real thing lmao 🤣
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

VeraX_Knives wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 6:48 am
weeping minora wrote:
VeraX_Knives wrote:

-Jas
I just don't belong here in this specific forum anymore I'm aware of this don't worry lol 😆

Hey Jas!

Just my opinion, but everyone belongs here, everyone that is keen about knives and Spyderco. The challenge is... How do we fit in? Take some time.

I have read this thing about Quantum Mechanics and how the Observer is fundamentally evolved in the equation. I mostly work in Health Care and there have been moves to accept the Patients' anecdotal experience as evidence in experiments. Turns out how we perceive the treatment is important too.

The Mule Team, in my opinion is the only Quantum specific knife science experiment. The individuals real world experience is a valid data point.

More opinions, for you Jason, yes... you have learned allot. Here, if you slow down you can learn more. Accepting corrections as people being willing to help, will help too.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, Catcherman, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
VeraX_Knives

Post by VeraX_Knives »

It's marketing mate. I don't do marketing or money lol sorry but that's exactly why the US is how it is and why I am how I am. I just don't care to enhance another companies marketing bullshit that isn't scientific. It's monetary. That's not real science lol henceforth why the US keeps the military side way ahead of other countries (as much as it does not seem it), and everything else just falls to pieces. Republicans and Democrats, people who run this country - people - are suspect to emotions - I ain't when I'm doing thinking stuff. Doesn't mean that I live in a country who's.. non-defense science exists in any world where I can actually learn something that isn't known lol.
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

VeraX_Knives wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 4:34 pm
That's not science that's people who think they know what science is and why the USA is long behind China. We forgot how to do real science a long time ago. I still do it however the world doesn't. Oh no it's going to effect emotions! That's not science lol that's psychology.

I can defend mengele for this. I don't necessarily agree but I can not say that oh. Ya that's not a real thing lmao 🤣
Wow! I do not want to encourage you but... Brain Science is real. It is science. It feels like you are afraid of the effort it takes to balance your emotions, so you dismiss them.

But, that is off topic.

If you know anything about the Mule Team, you will find joy in putting your own handle on a Mule, you will find joy in using your Mule. You may even find joy in designing your own test and posting feed back. You may find joy in hiding your Mule in a safe and protecting your investment for the future.

If you know anything about the Mule Team....
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, Catcherman, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
VeraX_Knives

Post by VeraX_Knives »

Na I honestly just don't care about it on the internet - which this is.
VeraX_Knives

Post by VeraX_Knives »

Time and place.

Period.
VeraX_Knives

Post by VeraX_Knives »

Brain science lmao. Please sir, how could we know the organ that controls.. how we think about science lmao. Ya no not scientific. Not in my life.
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

VeraX_Knives wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 4:45 pm
It's marketing mate. I don't do marketing or money lol sorry but that's exactly why the US is how it is and why I am how I am. I just don't care to enhance another companies marketing bullshit that isn't scientific. It's monetary. That's not real science lol henceforth why the US keeps the military side way ahead of other countries (as much as it does not seem it), and everything else just falls to pieces. Republicans and Democrats, people who run this country - people - are suspect to emotions - I ain't when I'm doing thinking stuff. Doesn't mean that I live in a country who's.. non-defense science exists in any world where I can actually learn something that isn't known lol.

Yeah... Knowitalls are no fun. Do you find joy using your knives? If not please explain why Quantum Mechanics is wrong. But do it in the Off Topic Section
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

VeraX_Knives wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 4:50 pm
Brain science lmao. Please sir, how could we know the organ that controls.. how we think about science lmao. Ya no not scientific. Not in my life.

And, there you are correct. We barely know the organ that controls how we think about science. That goes for your brain. Ergo your science is not science. The problem is not that the Mule Team is not science. It is that no science is science. It is all a matter of what people choose to create and how we collectively choose to believe.

People fit in here better when they start with a choice to be happy. Sure, we present negative opinions about product but we can do that in a mature and responsible way.
VeraX_Knives

Post by VeraX_Knives »

Do I find joy using my knives? Uh no I don't they're a tool. I've never thought to myself ah that cut of tomato was.. satisfying lmao. I enjoy making em cause it's something to do nothing more or less. I've been the one saying that science is BS since I have joined here and I can kinda say that with the schooling I have. I know what it is and isn't I'm not discounting anything that anyone here says or anything like that, just I will actually say it where everyone else just "accepts" it which has CHANGED* the entire Western world. It's just different there's good or bad depending on as you said the brain, so let me help you out a bit. My wife's a psychotherapist and I started a dating advice website at age 13. I had .. my first car was a 07 WRX STI - I've owned 3 and daily drive a WRX because they the next "sti" is going to be electric. Nothing wrong with being electric I should add just not my personal thing and I cannot argue with the physics there nor will try to. All I will say is that it requires integrated circuits, complex ones, so I would never personally buy one. I have to modify every car I buy electronically to disable ABS as fuse pulling works based on the car. Some literally cannot be shut off. That's just called I don't care to adjust to life in post-2020. It's rather stupid and I just honestly don't care enough to deal with other people on the internet I'm married that's done and whatnot lmfao so yes, this is a real choice of mine. I'm aware it's very uncommon and hated by the internet. This ain't my first rodeo.
VeraX_Knives

Post by VeraX_Knives »

I should add that my daily driver has partial anti lag(just retarded timing), full novek fire suppression system, sequential straight cut (enjoy the noise) gearbox w act street clutch cause the stock ones are garbage, but everything else is stock. Injectors fuel pump turbo intake exhaust - all stock. The frame of the VB chassis WRX is surprisingly good torsionally and if I cage it then helmets become necessary. I'm not your ordinary person at all lol. I started life early and.. the baseline of.. what I have done in 33 years is just different than most people. So that results in an expectation, that just is entirely different with me as a person. I've been there done that, so yes I find normal things boring. I am not normal, that is why I mentioned that my wife's a psychotherapist not.. Because I'm not crazy but because I literally am. 🤣🥲

Definition dependent 😉🙃

Edit: and unfortunately I don't exactly subscribe to the "let's drug people to the to the point where assisted suicide is something that has become legalized in certain countries", so we're all doomed! Even I grew up in a world where science was bullshit. The time and things that I did to get my master's in mat sci just proved.. literally everything that I had suspected because I learned psychology at a really young age and apparently understand it rather well. I'm well aware of how I come off over the internet, I can't say that I honestly care because of that very statement - it's the internet. Like everyone else I'm a bit more complicated in reality if you know me. Text is a very poor medium to even try to understand me because you never will one sentence I can be 110% serious the next one completely sarcastic and you can't tell - if it's difficult to in person it's impossible over this stuff. I never.. take anything personally or anything like that on the internet. I use it as a business opportunity with videogames cheats and meeting point for people that don't live beat me. I do NOT use it as a place to make friends or get information from. Share information with people who just have not had the opportunities that I have, yeah that's about all that I can really contribute to effectively and unfortunately I am not looking for attention or friendship or any of the normal psychological deals, I just have an immense hatred towards marketing and sociology. I moved here from the UK, I'm technically a dual citizen and my family has run from one country to another for a while (Hungarian-welsh) enough to know what causes the downfall of a country which is it's manufacturing bases. And I ain't going to China unfortunately because I just don't care about money enough to betray my **** country or principles, so no I don't fit in with anything I do really, or this forum which is marketing.. but thanks for being nice I suppose?. 🙃