Partially Serrated CombinationEdge FRN Police Please? Anyone Else Want One??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Knife Knut

Partially Serrated CombinationEdge FRN Police Please? Anyone Else Want One??

Post by Knife Knut »

Is there anyone else pining for a CombinationEdge FRN Police?

Once again I am asking for a CombinationEdge Partially Serrated Police in a handle besides Stainless Steel.

Last time I asked was long before the FRN Police, and during the era where there was the G-10 Police was for those who did not want the weight and slipperiness of the solid Stainless Steel handles.

Now with the increased demand for Spyderco knives, the demand for and plethora of newly CombinationEdge Spyderco and Byrd models, and a FRN Police, I ask again.

Long blades work best with partial serrations, and the Police has always been among the longest edges of all folding Spyderco. (Keep in mind the original design was an exercise in fitting as long a blade as possible into the handle.)

In fact, If I remember correctly, the Police is the only longrunning main line model that has not seen a partially serrated edge in G-10 and/or FRN.

I have looked at all the current other CE models, and the serrated sections extend too far into the belly of the blade leaving no nonserrated edge that is parallel to the handle axis.

60/40 Flat Ground like the CombinationEdge Military Would be my personal preference, but the Police 4 has enough edge length and and belly that even a 50/50 would still leave some edge nearly aligned with the grip. 60/40 would also better differentiate it from the Stainless 50/50

So Is anyone else desiring one?
phaust

Re: Partially Serrated CombinationEdge FRN Police Please? Anyone Else Want One??

Post by phaust »

If the half with serrations is the tip side, I'd be in
yablanowitz

Re: Partially Serrated CombinationEdge FRN Police Please? Anyone Else Want One??

Post by yablanowitz »

I have over 50 Police models and not a single one is combo edge, so no, thank you.
Drubieg

Post by Drubieg »

yablanowitz wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 3:50 pm
I have over 50 Police models and not a single one is combo edge, so no, thank you.
So you don’t like combo edges in general? Or for this particular model?

I would enjoy a police frn combo edge
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I don't much care for combo edges at all. Plain or serrated, one or the other.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

It's been quite a few years ago that I had 2 of the combo edged Police models. And I believe they were both from the ATS-55 era if my memory is correct. I do happen to be sort of a fan of Spyderco's combo edged models. And especially with the bigger models like the Police, Endura and even the older RENEGADE model that I EDCed for almost a year.

Spyderco's combo edged models on the bigger folders really seem to perform well for everyday tasks. The ones I've owned and used over the years have been really good in a pinch. I'm not all that big on FRN handles but they do have their place in the main line up. Sure bring it on!!
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I’ve been able to hold off on getting a Police for the longest time, but if Spyderco were to bring about a FFG CE Police LW, that could be the nail in the coffin for my abstinence.

It’s highly unlikely we’ll see a Police Salt, at least in the short term, but if they could bring out a CE LW that is on the more stain resistant end of the spectrum I’d be even more interested.
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

You can always have the edge custom serrated at Willey Knives: https://willeyknives.com/
Knife Knut

Post by Knife Knut »

N. Brian Huegel wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 12:21 pm
You can always have the edge custom serrated at Willey Knives: https://willeyknives.com/
Seems a common recommendation on this forum, but no info of it on the website, but and are not many pictures of the result here on the forum.

Also, I am a bit partial to the idea of the stock Spyderco partial serrations that are fully chisel ground instead of keeping the original apex on the backside of the teeth that sounds like the result of the Willey partial serration modification.
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

I’d take one. I still have my AUS8 ProGrip CE with the molded clip, but it’s retired to a case now. I think the CE would shine on the longer blades. VG10 or LC200N would be good with me…think about a big ole honkin green Police and then throw in the CE!! Yup sold! And maybe two!
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

Why not contact them directly, tell them what you want and see if they will do it.

sales@willeyknives.com
(302) 349-4070

nb
Knife Knut

Post by Knife Knut »

N. Brian Huegel wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 8:58 am
Why not contact them directly, tell them what you want and see if they will do it.
That would result in the serrations being in a thicker part of the blade.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Sure seems like combo edges were more popular 25 years ago. I used to purposely seek out combo edges, but eventually decided I wanted them one way or the other. Evolving uses, I guess.

That said, it does seem like the Police 4 would be one of the best candidates for CE.