Spyderco Groom carry suggestions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PaloArt

Re: Spyderco Groom carry suggestions

Post by PaloArt »

VashHash wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 7:01 pm
I used the respect at my wedding. Cut the wedding cake and grooms cake with it. Surprised I don't have a shot of me cutting it.

:winking-tongue :bug-red :usflag

I also had a Kris and orange spyderhawk SE.
WOW :flushed Actually I am speechless :grin-big eyes, Just tried to imagine how Respect, being larger than the tiny cake we will have, cuts through the cake itself and then through the table as well :rofl
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

Thank you all! Some great suggestions, Chap having most votes, very classy Delica I have in my collection received some approval as well (love that knife and find her extremely elegant). My lady will have her beloved Cricket in SE. I offered Pink Squeak as she doesn`t carry larger blades but Cricket is what she likes to carry on daily basis with her Victorinox mini champ.

I do love Slipit knives and originally thought it might not be a bad idea to carry some slipit as they are as well sheeple friendly and will not raise too many eyebrows, even though everyone knows me being a Spyderco nut.
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

I only own one “fancy” knife, the CF S90v Siren. I’d carry that if it was me.

Congratulations!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Anything with Damasteel.

Urban, 40th anniversary.

VG-10 Damascus also good.

Urban $280
https://patriotknifeworks.com/spyderco-c127gpivd/

Spyopra $406
https://patriotknifeworks.com/spyderco-c127gpivd/

$198 for this pakka wood Damascus endura
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP10WD ... -exclusive
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
CDEP

Post by CDEP »

Congrats!

The Chap in BM or RN would be great choices. I would, however, go with the Native 5 in Carbon Fiber and S30V.

Easy to imagine all three being passed on to your grandchildren and commemorating the day quite well.
Last edited by CDEP on Fri May 10, 2024 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian
D-fens

Post by D-fens »

PaloArt wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 2:11 am
Hi Folks,

in less than a month I will marry love of my life, person I look forward getting old with and my best friend at the same time. Now important question is, what Spyderco to carry this day? There is going to be some charcuterie and cheese boards on the "garden party" and I am torn between Chaparral, Delica 2nd gen in SS full SE (for me very elegant but heavy) or urban.

Now I am open to some other suggestions :open-grin as I am turning 35 in few days, so perhaps I might make myself happy with some new folding knife (SPY 27 UK PK perhaps?) which might accompany me to the altar as well.

Let`s go and share what you wore on your memorable day!
Congratulations my man, and if you're looking for something "gentlemanly" I suggest the spyopera or the sprint spyopera. For her, if she's into knives as well...anything factory pink isn't necessarily a commemorative item, at least in appearance.... but...what I'd do is have someone to make scales to match whatever knife you choose and make it her own...it doesn't even have to be pink if that's not her favorite color....
:bug-red-white "D-Fens" :usflag
DesertOne

Post by DesertOne »

Years ago, I gave my groomsmen Victorinox Minis. My oldest son was married on April 8 in Austin during the solar eclipse. He gave each of his wedding party a Terävä Jääkäripuukko 110. A good choice.
VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

PaloArt wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 7:27 am
kobold wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 4:35 am
For a gent's folder, the maple Chap is ideal.
Congrats!
Chap crossed my mind so many times, I have possibility to get Raffir Noble for 90 USD equivalent. Maple one looks stunning though and it is on my list of potential wedding accessory :thinking - great suggestion!
Ditto on the Chap with Raffir Noble scales.
Greg

* EDC - - - PM2 - S45VN, PM2 - Crucarta, Native 5 - CRUWEAR, Manix 2 LW - CPM M4

Mules in current use M398 and K294
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

PaloArt wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 12:29 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 9:04 am
PaloArt wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 2:11 am
Thank you very much for your kind words and wishes! Kapara never crossed my mind but it should have, truth is that most of my pocket knives are used always for food prep\snacking... :thinking I do like compression lock myself but as you, I do not prefer it for great outdoors as backlock is superior for me (that comp lock pinching my palm during power cuts..). I am surprised how many people agree with Chap, I have FRN version so far and it is extremely enjoyable knife, one of my most carried Spyderco, little slicey beast :cowboy

You are very welcome! :smlling-eyes

/ The Kapara is an amazing knife, very "classy" and well made - also, as said, a slim and small carry for the long edge one gets.
And, while I actually don´t like deep carry clips at all, in the particular wedding-situation where you might want to have a rather discreet carry, the Kapara deep carry could suit you.

/ I use the Spydies I carry for food prep a lot too, many (like the Endura) work very good for that and, like with other tasks, I enjoy their "Jack of all trades - master of none" - aspect

/ Yes, to me and just for how I personally use folders a backlock is also superior to a comp.lock in pretty much every aspect (one of those is, as you say, ergos - the comp.lock cutout is not ideal for that).

The Kapara comp.lock is actually a "mixed bag":

- I think it is ideal for what the knife was designed for: "Food prep in the office": No harsh outdoor conditions, most likely no really bearing down on the knife, and the positioning of the lock on top of the handle keeps it further away from food that could gunk up the lock than this would be the case with a linerlock (I think the Kapara design in its current form would not be possible with any other lock than liner or comp.)

- For the outdoors or in harder use though the slick, slim, narrow handle and particularily small cutout make the Kapara comp.lock not the best choice imo.

I am sure that you´d really enjoy a Kapara! I actually loved mine, and only my approach to own as little number of Spydies as possible, so that they all get used regularily, made me sell it (in the end and overall Endura/Pac Salt/Stretch XL and now also Goddard are just even better for me)

/ Chap FRN is one of the best "cross over" folders in my opinion.
Looks classy even "just" in FRN, can be a great "gents knife", but is also a real "hard use" beast with super solid built and a strong, but slicey blade.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear DesertOne:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Fine Swine

Post by Fine Swine »

Go Paysan or go home. 😂
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Paysan, Drunken, or some fancy custom.
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

Well, I do not have that budget for too high end Spyderco, to be honest and all my knives are users after all. I never owned piece that is too expensive as I would not have heart to use it :grin-sweat . As silly as it sounds, my most expensive knife I own is S90V PPT which I bought from Nemo for extremely good price (French Collector and reviewer). On the other hand, Spyderco offers great variety of knives for various price ranges. I am on the verge of going for my cherished Delica 2nd gen or Chap - great sizes, elegant and sufficient for the occasion :smlling-eyes.

Absolutely fantastic suggestions though and I really enjoyed this thread :cheap-sunglasses thank you all. In three weeks time I will be finally decided and will have some Spyderco knife accompany me to the big day.
cjk

Post by cjk »

Ikuchi or a Chapparal
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Congratulations and best wishes on your wedding!

I don’t usually carry a knife in dressy situations, and I try to avoid dressy situations altogether, so there isn’t really a knife in my collection suited for that type of use.
So if it were me trying to use such circumstances to justify a new knife, I’d probably be looking really hard at the Centofante 3 and Caly 3.5. Both are knives that I’ve been curious about for a long time, but I haven’t found the right excuse to buy any of them yet.
Both seem to be sleek carries that offer a lot of edge for their modest bulk. And I think both offers a touch of class, although the Caly maybe more so if you take materials into account.

The Chap is also a nice option, and dressed up in CF scales it should fit right in. It wouldn’t be my choice, partly because I have the LW already so it wouldn’t add much variation to the collection and my use of the LW have somewhat colored my perception of the Chap as a work knife, so I’m not sure I’d feel dressed up carrying a Chap, even if it had a nicer scale material.

Whatever you choose it’s much less important than the people you’ll be spending your day with, so don’t let this trivial decision take up too much of your focus.