Spymyto is hot!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Buddafucco

Re: Spymyto is hot!

Post by Buddafucco »

Pure Blades (Priced Higher)... https://pureblades.com/spymyto-flash-ba ... -c265mtip/

Edit: Out of stock
Last edited by Buddafucco on Wed May 22, 2024 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
•• Beau
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

In stock at BladeHQ again

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... fe--191687

EDIT: OOS again
Last edited by kerrcobra on Tue May 21, 2024 1:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
--Jeremy
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Fradon Safe&Lock Store... https://safeandlockstore.com/knives/spy ... ash-batch/

Edit: Out of stock
Last edited by Buddafucco on Wed May 22, 2024 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
•• Beau
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Last edited by Buddafucco on Tue May 21, 2024 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
•• Beau
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

•• Beau
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Last edited by Buddafucco on Wed May 22, 2024 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
•• Beau
Spyderwebs

Post by Spyderwebs »

Man, I am enjoying the SpyMyto so much I am tempted to put one in the safe just in case...

Action is great. Lockup is great. Looks are great. This knife makes me interested in the other LionSteel collabs (besides the opera).
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Spyderwebs wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 12:58 pm
This knife makes me interested in the other LionSteel collabs (besides the opera).
The SpyOpera Damasteel DS93X Carbon Fiber Sprint Run made by LionSteel and released in March 2023 is still available at a number of dealers.

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Spyderwebs

Post by Spyderwebs »

RamZar wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 1:45 pm
Spyderwebs wrote:
This knife makes me interested in the other LionSteel collabs (besides the opera).
The SpyOpera Damasteel DS93X Carbon Fiber Sprint Run made by LionSteel and released in March 2023 is still available at a number of dealers.
BESIDES the opera :)
I havent found any knife I get $400 value from, and the sharp notch when closed really bothers me. Knives should always have a smooth transition at the pivot from the handlt to blade in the closed position like a SpyMyto/PM2/PM3/Manix/Jimbo/Caly. The sharp notch rubs me wrong.

A Knife is so much more elegant when the handle and blade pivot area transition smoothly into one another imo.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Spyderwebs wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 3:24 pm
RamZar wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 1:45 pm
Spyderwebs wrote:
BESIDES the opera :)
I havent found any knife I get $400 value from, and the sharp notch when closed really bothers me. Knives should always have a smooth transition at the pivot from the handlt to blade in the closed position like a SpyMyto/PM2/PM3/Manix/Jimbo/Caly. The sharp notch rubs me wrong.

A Knife is so much more elegant when the handle and blade pivot area transition smoothly into one another imo.

You have to go back to the LionSteel made LionSpy and Lil’ LionSpy from 2012-2014. Beefy titanium frame locks with Elmax blade.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Spyderwebs

Post by Spyderwebs »

Has anyone got this blade to slice paper cleanly? Like, even pull cut?

I hit it on the sharpmaker and stroop but am tearing paper like I'm cleaning in the bathroom. I got other fat BTE blades like the ayoob clean pull cut sharp, but no luck with the myto so far.

Love the knife, but one of the least slicey, ever. I measure. 027-.037 BTE which does not help I'm sure. Hollow grind would have been great if it worked out as intended.

This is a strong candidate for a regrind imo
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Spyderwebs wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 6:51 pm

I hit it on the sharpmaker and stroop but am tearing paper like I'm cleaning in the bathroom. I got other fat BTE blades like the ayoob clean pull cut sharp, but no luck with the myto so far.

Love the knife, but one of the least slicey, ever. I measure. 027-.037 BTE which does not help I'm sure. Hollow grind would have been great if it worked out as intended.

Both of mine cut reasonably well. It's no Delica but I've cut a bunch of cardboard with one and it's done fine. I touched that one up on the Sharpmaker medium stones and slices paper. I have a second one that's brand new and I just sliced paper with it. Sure I have better slicers but so far the Spymyto has cut whatever I've needed without issue
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Paul Ardbeg

Post by Paul Ardbeg »

Now available at knifelounge for our EU folks. Just snagged one 🥳😎

:bug-red-white 37 Spydies and counting :winking-tongue
:bug-red-white 17 different steels and counting :winking-tongue

MNOSD member #0052

***Memento mori, memento vivere***
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

New Graham (careful of the over sell)... https://newgraham.com/spymyto-flash-run-sc265mtip/
•• Beau
Nicodimas

Post by Nicodimas »

Spyderwebs wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 6:51 pm

Mine cuts really well zero problems

The thinness of the scales in neat , interior seems a tad..sharp(?) Without being able to explain it well.
Toddm

Post by Toddm »

I really liked the design on paper, but it has a few flaws. First the inside edges of the handles are quite sharp and uncomfy if you use a tight grip. Sharp enough on the Ti side it will shave fingernail off. If you leave the flipper tab on that acts as a choil it forces a very rearward grip on what is already a small handle, and your thumb ends up on the sharp handle spine more than the blade spine. The blade spine also has no jimping which would be welcome because the overall grip of the handle is not great. The rear where it's cutout "fancy" but ends up creating sharp edges tends to dig into my hand wrong when opening it. The handle needed about 1/4" more length to it.

The blade is quite thick, mine was not very sharp and I doubt it will be much of a slicer, which for a smaller knife is more of my use case. Lockup and centering is great. Detent is perfect for using the thumb hole, but quite weak for the flipper.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Toddm wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 6:23 pm
I really liked the design on paper, but it has a few flaws. First the inside edges of the handles are quite sharp and uncomfy if you use a tight grip. Sharp enough on the Ti side it will shave fingernail off. If you leave the flipper tab on that acts as a choil it forces a very rearward grip on what is already a small handle, and your thumb ends up on the sharp handle spine more than the blade spine. The blade spine also has no jimping which would be welcome because the overall grip of the handle is not great. The rear where it's cutout "fancy" but ends up creating sharp edges tends to dig into my hand wrong when opening it. The handle needed about 1/4" more length to it.

The blade is quite thick, mine was not very sharp and I doubt it will be much of a slicer, which for a smaller knife is more of my use case. Lockup and centering is great. Detent is perfect for using the thumb hole, but quite weak for the flipper.
I was waiting for someone to suggest it needs jimping. No thanks!

I know we all have different hands. My hands are kind of medium (not huge not tiny) and I rest my thumb on the spine either in behind or in front of the hump (for harder cuts). Resting my thumb on the back of the handle would be awkard.

I never use a death grip even when doing harder cuts but I haven't found the edges to be an issue even when cutting thick cardboard. The handle fits my hand perfect and I wouldn't want it any longer.

I dislike knives with a weak detent and I especially don't like a weak detent on a flipper. The detent on both of my Spymytos is actually pretty good. They flip great and I can't shake the blade out. If I had a weak one like yours I'd go ahead and adjust the detent
Toddm

Post by Toddm »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 8:01 pm

I was waiting for someone to suggest it needs jimping. No thanks!

I know we all have different hands. My hands are kind of medium (not huge not tiny) and I rest my thumb on the spine either in behind or in front of the hump (for harder cuts). Resting my thumb on the back of the handle would be awkard.

I never use a death grip even when doing harder cuts but I haven't found the edges to be an issue even when cutting thick cardboard. The handle fits my hand perfect and I wouldn't want it any longer.

I dislike knives with a weak detent and I especially don't like a weak detent on a flipper. The detent on both of my Spymytos is actually pretty good. They flip great and I can't shake the blade out. If I had a weak one like yours I'd go ahead and adjust the detent
It's true everyone's hands/likes are different. The hump to the thumb hole is pretty steep, so it's not bad without jimping. Usually I do a pretty good job looking at specs, because over 30+ years I've pretty well figured out what blade/handle sizes work well for me. Had I noticed that the Spymyto's handle is just barely longer than the PM3, I'd probably have passed on it. I despise short handles on knives, even those with shorter blades, so I set myself up for failure there by not paying attention to the specs.

I can shake mine open without massive effort, but it's not hard either, if I had to guess I'd say it's the heavier blade. If I just try and pull the blade out slowly, the detent feels like it's solid and engaging the blade. The lock bar tension is actually very high on mine, enough so it's more effort to get the lockbar far enough over than I think any other folder I own.

That's not a huge deal to me, the detent feels solid enough I don't really worry about it opening accidentally in a pocket etc. Maybe when dropped it would open but frankly if I got rid of every folder I have that opens when dropped I wouldn't have many left. I can flip it open, but the detent does not make it easy to load up on the flipper tab. To get mine to fire out hard I have to do more of a pressing down to load it instead of just swiping back and letting the detent work.

I've probably just become too picky in my old age, I tend to only keep a few knives in my rotation these days instead of dozens, and I'm not a collector, so the bar is really high for me to buy and keep a new one. If I do decide to keep it, I'm definitely going to be knocking down the sharp handle edges. There's just no excuse for that in 2024 with a $330 MSRP knife.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Can't wait to get mine. They started hitting european dealers, so my friend should receive them soon.
I'll see how it cuts. If I don't like how it cuts :
- Trade with a friend that'll appreciate it more
- Regrind it myself (still flat, but thinner flat)

Whatever my choice is, someone will be happy :open-grin . I'm sure the action of regrinding such a knife would bring me more joy than simply using it. But i might have an issue :')
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Ramonade wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2024 8:20 am
Can't wait to get mine. They started hitting european dealers, so my friend should receive them soon.
I'll see how it cuts. If I don't like how it cuts :
- Trade with a friend that'll appreciate it more
- Regrind it myself (still flat, but thinner flat)

Whatever my choice is, someone will be happy :open-grin . I'm sure the action of regrinding such a knife would bring me more joy than simply using it. But i might have an issue :')
I cut up some cardboard for my recycling bin again yesterday. It did fine. I had a little time last night and was going to reprofile it but started watching a movie and went to bed after. Maybe I'll get to it later today. I expect it'll cut even better after reprofiling