Any Double Bladed Desires?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Any Double Bladed Desires?

Post by JD Spydo »

One Spyderco model that I cut my teeth on in the late 90s/early 2000s was my beloved C-44 Dyad(The Bigger one). I immediately feel in love with the concept of having a full SE and a full PE blade in one folder. Even the smaller Dyad Junior I found great for use as an EDC blade where they have draconian, restricted blade length laws.

But with outdoor and sporting applications a double bladed folder could be perfect in so many situations. About 2 to 3 times a year I'll carry my C-44 Dyad for something different. And just the other day I was wondering how nice it would be to have either an updated version of the C-44 Dyad or even a totally new concept double bladed design all together.

Even the older Micarta Dyad Jr. would be a great idea for a Sprint Run if nothing else. But If Spyderco were to make a new C-44 Dyad or a new double bladed model with Cruwear or Magnacut I would be first in line to get one. Or even a Salt Version of the Dyad would be enticing as well. I think it's time to talk about it at least.
Coastal

Re: Any Double Bladed Desires?

Post by Coastal »

I agree 100% with pretty much everything you said. I'd prefer a Salt, but anything would be an automatic buy.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I love my Micarta mini Dyad.
Probably too radical a design but I would like to see a dual knife with a one sided chisel grind on each. Now for the more radical part. It would have no scales. The dual frame lock center piece would act as the frame and would be a kind of S shape. The pivot would hold the blade against the frame. The edge would be flush with the frame so no scales needed. This would make the knife less bulky for having two blades. I had one of these back in the day. It would be like this. Obviously the opposite blades would open to the opposite side.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I'd actually like to see a Dyad featuring a comboedge blade and, yes, a saw (most will know that Soyderco had a folding "Spyder"saw in their lineup back in the days).

Even started a poll on this once
viewtopic.php?t=82630
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 11:16 pm
I'd actually like to see a Dyad featuring a comboedge blade and, yes, a saw (most will know that Soyderco had a folding "Spyder"saw in their lineup back in the days).

Even started a poll on this once
viewtopic.php?t=82630
The "SAW" idea is rather interesting. Because I've had a Victorinox Swiss Tool that I've used a lot over the years that has a SAW. I find myself using that saw a lot in various outdoor ventures. But I do think it would be more appropriately used in a multi-tool rather than with a double bladed folder. But if the decision makers ended up liking it I certainly wouldn't be opposed to the idea.

What I've always liked about the Dyad models is the handiness of having both SE & PE in one folder. And with the success that Spyderco enjoyed with the C-44 and Dyad Jr. along with the Micro Dyad I would hate to see the concept die on the vine so to speak.
Last edited by JD Spydo on Sun May 19, 2024 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Coastal wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 3:15 pm
I agree 100% with pretty much everything you said. I'd prefer a Salt, but anything would be an automatic buy.
It's been quite a while back but I do remember Spyderco talking about the possibility of a SALT version of the Dyad. But I had also heard that for financial reasons they elected not to go forward with it. And if that were truly the case you can't blame them if they can't turn a nice profit on the item.

But in the current market environment I do wish that they would re-consider the idea. With the success that the SALT Series has had for the company I can't help but believe that a double bladed folder would be a nice addition to the SALT Series IMO.
Windward

Post by Windward »

Id like to see it. I carry a PE and SE eveeyday for work anyway. 1 tool would make my pockets lighter.

Maybe too big of a wish but id love to just see a whole rigging/ sailing tool. PE with some sort of pointy tip, some sort of blunt tip SE, and a marlin spike. Basically the tusk with an extra blade. One can dream haha
James Y

Post by James Y »

I wonder if Spyderco ever considered making a linerless, dual-bladed slipjoint folder. Similar to a UKPK. That might be good for places where lock blade knives are restricted, and allows the carrier to have the equivalent of two knives (PE & SE) on them at all times. Maybe each blade could be 2.78" long or something. Might there be a market for a 2-bladed Spyderco slippie?

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Windward wrote:
Sun May 19, 2024 2:43 pm
Id like to see it. I carry a PE and SE eveeyday for work anyway. 1 tool would make my pockets lighter.

Maybe too big of a wish but id love to just see a whole rigging/ sailing tool. PE with some sort of pointy tip, some sort of blunt tip SE, and a marlin spike. Basically the tusk with an extra blade. One can dream haha
That would be an excellent idea if they were to elect to do a Salt Series version of the Dyad. Marlinspikes have a lot of handy uses. Especially for fishing, sailing and other marine activities. Something to consider for sure.
Jesla

Post by Jesla »

To me, and I like the Case canoe pattern, the second (or closed) blade almost always ruins the grip ergonomics. I do like the concept, it just rarely comes off well.
Whatever turns you on, cupcake.
Still plays with knives…
cjk

Post by cjk »

A double thickness UKPK with FRN or G-10 on the outside, two blades sharing a pivot, and a single steel liner between the blades would be something that would appeal to me.
one se, one pe. I do prefer the leaf blade on the ukpk personally, but the other blade shape might be a better choice because there's less blade sticking out of the handle when closed.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Isn’t it interesting that the majority of traditional pocket knives featured multiple blades (usually 2 or 3), but modern folders are almost exclusively just one blade? It’s as if all modern folders are descended from the Buck 110 folding hunter, or maybe the Gerber LST.

I really enjoy a folder with both a large and small blade. My first two folders were both slip joints with two blades, each suited to specific tasks. It’s tricky to make multiple blades work with Spyder holes, but the Dyad family proves the concept is viable.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Bill1170 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 9:57 pm
Isn’t it interesting that the majority of traditional pocket knives featured multiple blades (usually 2 or 3), but modern folders are almost exclusively just one blade?

It is interesting.

Dad carried a 3-blade stockman with clip, sheepfoot and spey. He liked having particular blades for different purposes. I grew up in that era, but transitioned easily to single-bladed knives. I don't know why I don't desire several different blade shapes in a single knife, but I think the very versatile low-tipped leaf blade (the Caly Jr being my favorite example, but also the Manix) has muted my need for different blade shapes, to a degree.

Another rationale for multiple blades was, frankly, yesteryear's steels that wouldn't hold an edge. Multiple blades meant you had a fresh one available. That need has been greatly reduced with modern PM steels.

Single bladed knives, in addition, can be made compact and flat. Always found a stockman a little thick to carry loose in RFP.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

If Spyderco makes another double bladed knife, perhaps they should keep it humpless and have both blades on the same end of the handle.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Started a thread on the following once, but can´t find it no more:

- Another idea for a double bladed folder would be to give it one really thin, slicey ffg blade perhaps made out of a hard, great-edge-retention steel and one sabre grind robust blade, perhaps made out of a softer, but tough steel.
Blade 1 could also feature a very pointy, delicat tip, blade 2 a blunter, robust one.

Don´t know how complicated it would be two use two different sorts of steel in one (double bladed) folder.
But having a blade in about Catcherman thinness for finer tasks and as soon as it gets too delicate in rougher tasks one could switch to a robust, thicker sabre grind blade and that in one folder is something I would take.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bill1170 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 9:57 pm
Isn’t it interesting that the majority of traditional pocket knives featured multiple blades (usually 2 or 3), but modern folders are almost exclusively just one blade? It’s as if all modern folders are descended from the Buck 110 folding hunter, or maybe the Gerber LST.
Yeah I've thought about that very same subject matter many times myself. I cut my teeth on the older Bucks and Kabars from the 70s & 80s and they all had 2 to 3 blades. And many of the older Case knives did as well>> not to mention Queen Cutlery and about 5 others I could mention.

A double bladed folder just makes great sense to me. Especially when I'm contemplating hiking in the Mark Twain National Forest this summer. And Spyderco's Dyad was simply a masterpiece in it's own rite. I particularly miss the Micarta Dyad Jr. for a small multi bladed folder.
Switchback

Post by Switchback »

James Y wrote:
Sun May 19, 2024 4:42 pm
I wonder if Spyderco ever considered making a linerless, dual-bladed slipjoint folder. Similar to a UKPK. That might be good for places where lock blade knives are restricted, and allows the carrier to have the equivalent of two knives (PE & SE) on them at all times. Maybe each blade could be 2.78" long or something. Might there be a market for a 2-bladed Spyderco slippie?

Jim
Your description comes pretty close to the long since discontinued Byrd Wings Slip-It. The closed blade serves as the "handle" for the opened blade. Solves the problem of the closed blade being a nuisance.
IMG_6799.JPG
IMG_6797.JPG
IMG_6796.JPG
benja-man

Post by benja-man »

Switchback wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 7:00 pm
Your description comes pretty close to the long since discontinued Byrd Wings Slip-It. The closed blade serves as the "handle" for the opened blade. Solves the problem of the closed blade being a nuisance.

IMG_6799.JPG
IMG_6797.JPG
IMG_6796.JPG
Oh wow, that's a fantastic design! As a resident of slipjoint country, I'd pick one up were it still available.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Also that Micarta version of the bigger C-44 Dyad and the Micarta version of the Dyad Jr. are two of the most solid feeling folders I've ever owned.

If nothing else it's high time for a Sprint Run of the C-44 and the C-39 Micarta versions of the Dyad. There are so many new folks here that have never experienced the original Dyad models.

And many of us have been patiently waiting for a Salt version of the Dyad.
brj

Post by brj »

A redo of this would be nice, I'd buy it again