Superleaf or Manix2 ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Zerimas

Post by Zerimas »

You should get the Superleaf, as I believe it is being discontinued. The Manix 2 will be around for a while yet.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Welcome benben, I"ll give a vote for the Manix. To me it's one of those that you just have to have. I know that you have an older Para, but someday you might look at the Para2, I think that you'll like the modifications. The Military is a must for a larger folder as well.
benben

Post by benben »

SQSAR wrote:I own, and use both. It's a hard choice for sure; but one that you really can't go wrong with. If they were both 154CM, I'd say Superleaf since 154 is such a great steel (not the VG-10 isn't, , ,I just much prefer 154CM). Since that isn't the case, I'd lean ever so slightly towards the Manix, but if I keep thinking about it I'd be saying the Superleaf, and then change my mind again back to Manix, etc, etc.

That said, I'd agree that a GB would trump both a Manix2 and Superleaf.
Please explain the difference between these two steels, hardness, ability to
hold an edge longer ? Thanks again for all the replys.
benben
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

benben wrote:Please explain the difference between these two steels, hardness, ability to
hold an edge longer ? Thanks again for all the replys.
benben
154cm and VG10 are basically the same, some say vg10 is better, some say 154cm is better. If your picking 2 knives one has 154cm and one has vg10, pretend the steels are the same and look at other features. :)
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

sqsar wrote:i'd agree that a gb would trump both a manix2 and superleaf.
+1
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
xceptnl

That is the sound of inevitability

Post by xceptnl »

spyderkoholic wrote:I own both knives and I do not have a complaint of either one. I would say if money is an issue, go for the Manix2, if not, the Superleaf. Actually you should just buy them both because you'll eventually do that anyway! :D
I couldn't agree more. I own 7 Manix 2 blades and it is by far my favorite, however the first time I held that Superleaf . . . all I could say was WOW. They both make a great choice for EDC or defensive tactical. I suggest going to see Jeff at cutlery shoppe. He has the best service of any spydie dealer I have had the pleasure of buying from.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Both of these are too heavy in my pocket for my taste, so like Moe, I end up putting them in my knapsack or briefcase.

If one of your evaluation factors is one-handed operation - my experience is that the compression lock on the SuperLeaf is a lot easier to open and close with one hand than the ball lock on the Manix. I love both of these blades, though!

TedP
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Zerimas wrote:You should get the Superleaf, as I believe it is being discontinued. The Manix 2 will be around for a while yet.
I mean this in a humble way but we have no indication this is the case. The Superhawk had a short lifespan but was about 20/30% more expensive and had a very unconventional blade shape.
Gadfly22

Post by Gadfly22 »

I have a Superleaf in my pocket right now. It's one of the few knives I have an exact duplicate of. And if it's really being discontinued, I plan to stockpile more. I like the Manix2 (I have the recent sprint, the regular Manix2 and the translucent on order), but I love the Superleaf.
STAK

Post by STAK »

:spyder: M A N I X - 2 . . . . :spyder:
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

You can tell by my signature what I recommend (get both! :) ). By the way I think you'll love that G10 dragonfly!

A couple of things about the Manix2 - the regular Manix2 in saber grind is available quite a bit cheaper (about $72) than the SuperLeaf or the sprint run Manix flavors. But if you want a more "exotic" steel, some of the sprint run Manix knives are still available, such as the M4 blade from Bento Box Shop (of course at a higher price than the regular Manix2 or the Super Leaf). M4 isn't stainless but sharpens up very nicely and holds the edge well.

I happen to like the grip of G10 of both the Manix2 and the Super Leaf (I have a Super Leaf in my back pocket right now) but like some of the others have said, the Gayle Bradley feels reeeeeaaaaal nice too! :)

So many wonderful knives from Spyderco, so little money! :D
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Zerimas

Post by Zerimas »

Blerv wrote:I mean this in a humble way but we have no indication this is the case. The Superhawk had a short lifespan but was about 20/30% more expensive and had a very unconventional blade shape.
I think I read it in the thread about this year's discontinuations. I could have imagined it though.
benben

Post by benben »

xceptnl wrote:I couldn't agree more. I own 7 Manix 2 blades and it is by far my favorite, however the first time I held that Superleaf . . . all I could say was WOW. They both make a great choice for E DC or defensive tactical. I suggest going to see Jeff at cutlery shManixoppe. He has the best service of any spydie dealer I have had the pleasure of buying from.
Thanks for the info about the Cutlery shoppe, called and spoke with Jeff and
what a great guy ! Ask him about the Manix, Superleaf and the Bradley and he
really recommended the Para 2 ! Said its a huge improvement over the old
Para i have now. He also said just like all of you did that i can't go wrong
with any of these choices. He did say the Bradley was designed for the
rancher/farmer who takes care of miles of fence line (very strong knife).
He also said he likes both locks but gives the slightest edge/nod to the
compression lock cause its easier to close with one hand. Looks like i know
now who i'll be buying from !
benben
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

Welcome to the forum, benben! Hope you will enjoy your stay here, you will find many knowledgeable members, who are happy to share their knowledge.

If in doubt, get both, if you can! :D
I know I'm not helpful, but I'm not being facetious, both are excellent knives!

Welcome to the addiction and watch your wallet!

Cheers,
skatenut
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Zerimas wrote:I think I read it in the thread about this year's discontinuations. I could have imagined it though.
Oh think i missed that thread, sorry!
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

benben wrote:Thanks everyone......never considered the Gayle Bradley. Spyderkoholic, you
are probably right about buying both but as i said before i am definitely getting
the Dragonfly G10 first and a larger knife second. As a whole it looks like
more prefer the Manix. I'm sure i cant go wrong either way ! Going to take
another look at the GB. Keep those opinions coming as i know everyone
loves these "which one" threads.
benben
Making your buying decision based upon an online poll or survey is a sure way to end up with something you may not enjoy. Just because 7 out of 10 people prefer Product A, does that mean the other 3 are wrong in choosing Product B? No, of course not, it's just their personal preference. I recommend handling both knives and see which one you prefer.
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

Both.

C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.
mrjefe2u

Post by mrjefe2u »

Manix 2 is rated in my top 5-6.

Me likes big knives.
Larry

Many sharp, pointy things
808spyder

Post by 808spyder »

spyderkoholic wrote:I own both knives and I do not have a complaint of either one. I would say if money is an issue, go for the Manix2, if not, the Superleaf. Actually you should just buy them both because you'll eventually do that anyway! :D
That's the best answer by far. I was contemplating the Native 5 or the Manix2 both in SE. Take a wild guess which one I chose. I ordered the Native 5 and I am going to order the Manix2. So in my case :spyder: :spyder:= :) :)
benben

Thanks everyone, went with the Manix

Post by benben »

$145.00 for a G-10 Dragonfly and a Manix 2 AND free shipping from the
Cutlery Shoppe was a no brainer !! I had also added the Native 5 to my
list but i think it has moved to the back of the must have line. Thanks
again to everyone again who replied to my Superleaf or Manix 2 thread.
So, next in line (?) will probably be the Superleaf, then the Gayle Bradley,
then a camo Para2 and last on my list the Native 5. Can't wait to receive
my package from Cutlery Shoppe !
benben