Anyone else have plantar fasciitis? Here's a shoe review..

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Evil D

Anyone else have plantar fasciitis? Here's a shoe review..

Post by Evil D »

I've been dealing with the **** that is known as plantar fasciitis for the better half of the last 15 years. I've spent literally thousands of dollars on footwear and insoles over the years, everything short of going to a foot doctor (which admittedly I should have done years ago). I've had different kinds of boots (which work surprisingly well for me), running shoes, walking shoes, every big brand name you can think of, I've tried their best offerings.

One night about a week ago after a particularly long and painful day, I was in bed searching on my phone for the best reviewed shoes for PF and I came across an internet based shoe company called Kuru. Kuru seem to specialize in outdoor type footwear that can also be worn casually, and they seem to have a strong focus particularly on PF.

Now, I'm the kind of guy who usually needs to see something in person before I buy it, whether it's my knives, clothes, hookers or blow (lol jk). Unfortunately that isn't possible since this shoe company is internet only. That means the looks/fit/comfort are all a gamble. However, if you're like me and literally every step of every day is painful, I'm at my wit's end and am ready to try anything (again, should have gone to a doc by now anyway). It didn't hurt that they have almost unanimously positive reviews (which I don't always buy into anyway, because anyone can falsify reviews).

So, I ordered the Kuru Chicane shoe, based solely off the fact that they say on their website that it's their best shoe for PF. I went with the black leather because I figure it's neutral and you can't go wrong with black right? The all leather option bumps the price up about $8 over the mesh/fabric version, but my work is pretty demanding on shoes so I figure leather was the more durable choice. I ordered them the week of New Years and was so excited I shelled out a few bucks more for 3 day shipping, not realizing that New Years day wasn't a business day, so it took about a week to get them considering the holiday and a weekend.

Now, I essentially walk for a living. I'm on my feet all day, and almost never stop moving. I have a pedometer running on my phone at all times, and average about 17 miles a day (roughly 30k steps) just at work so when I say I walk for a living, you can believe it. I'm also not a small guy and I have a pretty hard stride, so I'm pretty demanding of shoes. That said, here's the bottom line:

These shoes have given me the first 2 days of pain free walking that I've experienced in 15 years.

No joke, I'm borderline emotional about this. The first day I wore them, I was honestly almost to the point of being choked up...that's how happy I was. Until you live with a constant searing pain every day of your life and you FINALLY find some relief, you just can't imagine how it feels, especially when the pain is coming from something as essential as walking.

I'd go into describing the shoes myself, but their website can do a much better job than me. I've been wearing them now for 2 days, waiting for the "wow" to wear off and so far I am absolutely blown away at how comfortable they are and how the pain is gone. I plan on buying their running shoe for outside work and (hopefully) actually be able to run pain free again.

I wish I could say their shoes were made in USA (as they're USA based), but they're made in China (not many shoes aren't these days). Still, the quality seems to be there, most of the shoe is double stitched and seems well constructed. The leather is "nubuck" leather, which is sort of like a higher quality/more expensive version of suede (though made completely differently). My only complaint at this time is that the shoe strings they come with are obnoxiously long for the shoe and are gonna get replaced with a shorter pair.

So....if you have the dreaded PF, you may wanna take a look at this shoe company. Their insole technology seems to be the real deal. I'm kinda shocked one of the big shoe companies hasn't bought them out by now. Here's their website, and again I'm not affiliated with or receiving any money or anything like that, I just whole heartedly believe in their product (or at least this particular shoe).

http://www.kurufootwear.com/mens-shoes/ ... -mens.html" target="_blank
jabba359

Re: Anyone else have plantar fasciitis? Here's a shoe review

Post by jabba359 »

I'm glad you've managed to find some relief. I can't even imagine having to deal with chronic pain for that many years.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

I could feel your pain in your words. I'm happy that you found comfort. I hope they continue to work for you and wish you continued relief.

Dan
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Great find David, I went through a PF episode a few years ago and must say (as you well know) if you have never experienced it words just cant describe the pain, mine got so bad I finally broke down and went to a podiatrist and paid to have a pair of orthotics made, they weren't cheap but it worked, I wish I would have found out about these shoes first, I was at my wits end trying all kinds of stretching, shoe insoles, ice, heat, massage you name it. I paid like 2k for the doctors visit and custom orthotics but by that time I was willing to try anything. I haven't had any issues for a couple years now thank god.

Enjoy your relief you deserve it.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
David from NC

Post by David from NC »

I WILL check these out. I am PF-free right now (fingers crossed) but I suffer from it intermittently.

I am very heavy and I often have other leg or foot pain. In uniform we are issued 5.11 quarter boots (which I hate.) They are relatively comfortable when they are new but 8-10 months down the road of 12-13 hour shifts, my weight, getting wet, etc. and they are junk. My feet and legs have hurt for weeks unless I was off a few days. I got them muddy as crap the other night on a call and forgot to clean them the next day when I was up before getting ready for work. I grabbed a pair of Danner Strykers (I have two pair that are about 6 years old) from the BAAAACK of the closet and wore them. I generally don't wear them because even Danner's "wide" (being a 2E last) is too narrow for me, but I forced them on and wore them the next two nights, and the next two after that. My feet haven't hurt at all. With the worn out 5.11s my feet hurt so bad HALF-WAY through a shift I dread parking and walking the 50 yards from our parking lot to my office.

Even though the boots are TOUGH to get on, they are built right, and the quality shows and can be felt. I'm guessing a better shank and sole system also. The imported 5.11s are wasted before a year is up-both my 6 year old Danners have MORE wear and miles on them but be polished and passed as being 3 months old.

I look forward to checking these you mention out!
David

Blue Titanium/Jigged Bone: Endura Damascus, Delica Damascus (finally!)
Foliage G10: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
OD Green G10: Worker Sprint
Black FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG, Dragonfly FFG, Matriarch 2, Lil Matriarch, Centofante 3, Salt 1 PE
Grey FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
Purple FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
Green FRN: Delica FFG
Denim Blue FRN: Lil Matriarch PE (Thanks McL!)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Time will tell how well they last. They're sold as a "light hiking shoe" so they're likely a little more tough than the average casual shoe.

What I've learned about PF is that you want a shoe that's stiff as **** in the heel and arch area and doesn't allow any flex in any direction except at the toe. This is why of all the shoes and boots I own, my military issue Altamas have been the least painful despite having the least amount of impact absorption.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

farnorthdan wrote:Great find David, I went through a PF episode a few years ago and must say (as you well know) if you have never experienced it words just cant describe the pain, mine got so bad I finally broke down and went to a podiatrist and paid to have a pair of orthotics made, they weren't cheap but it worked,
Like several others, I've had PF intermittently. Usually it would strike while on vacation (where I tended to walk more than I regularly do) I also had a set of orthotics made and they helped tremendously. Fortunately I haven't had a bout in several years (probably because I sit on our couch as much as humanly possible ;)
Evil D wrote: What I've learned about PF is that you want a shoe that's stiff as **** in the heel and arch area and doesn't allow any flex in any direction except at the toe. This is why of all the shoes and boots I own, my military issue Altamas have been the least painful despite having the least amount of impact absorption.
That makes sense, David, but it's probably a function of how severe your condition is. I would think having more flexibility would help someone (not already severely afflicted) avoid PF by maintaining flexibility.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll definitely check them out.

Ken
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

kbuzbee wrote: That makes sense, David, but it's probably a function of how severe your condition is. I would think having more flexibility would help someone (not already severely afflicted) avoid PF by maintaining flexibility.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll definitely check them out.

Ken

If you're already in good health, there are certainly exercises you can do to strengthen the fasciitis muscle and potentially avoid having it happen again. Wearing the correct shoes for your foot all the time will also do you a lot of good.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I have heard using a golf ball to "dig" into the affected area and roll your foot around on it helps. Never had PF but boy gout is a sumbeech. I wear my old Vasque Sundowners when I have a flare up to a) limit range of motion and b) use the steel toe to prevent anything from landing, stepping, or bumping into my Fred Flintstone toe!

Evil-glad you found some relief
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

twinboysdad wrote:I have heard using a golf ball to "dig" into the affected area and roll your foot around on it helps. Never had PF but boy gout is a sumbeech. I wear my old Vasque Sundowners when I have a flare up to a) limit range of motion and b) use the steel toe to prevent anything from landing, stepping, or bumping into my Fred Flintstone toe!

Evil-glad you found some relief

Yeah, no gout for me but I've known guys who had it...one of them was a friend's father who demanded his doctor amputate his leg because he was so tired of dealing with the pain. The doc refused of course, but it was hard seeing him live with it all the time.

One good method for PF is taking a bottle of water, freezing it, and rolling your foot over it with the bottle under your arch. You can also directly massage the tendon running under your arch. For the last couple years it's been really bad for me. My memory is foggy but it seems like it died down for the most part throughout the late 2000's, but I stumbled upon an old pic of me and my son when he was a baby, and I had the same foot wrapped up and it reminded me that I've been having this issue on and off for a very long time and just didn't know what it was. When you really get it bad and you have it a long time, it's not just your foot that suffers. I've also got knee issues and back issues because the pain causes you to change your gait when you walk. My chiropractor knew I had it without me even mentioning it, just by looking at an x-ray of my back. He could tell I was walking funny because my hips were out of alignment and my knee was twisted funny.
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

The golfball trick works well as does the frozen water bottle.

I switched to Vibram 5-fingers and Fila Skele-toes and my issues with PF have gone down immensely. Granted, I am retired and don't have to "dress to impress" anyone and yes...they are funky looking, but as I use to tell my Marines- "If it's silly but it works, then it's not too silly".

Good luck with your PF, I know your pain well.
Jeremy_A_Neel

Post by Jeremy_A_Neel »

I've tried several shoes, and the Brooks Beast seems like the best shoe I've tried for my plantar fasciitis.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Day 5, I've walked 4 miles so far without stopping or sitting down and so far my feet are barely tired, certainly pain free.
David from NC

Post by David from NC »

I'm out-no wide widths...
David

Blue Titanium/Jigged Bone: Endura Damascus, Delica Damascus (finally!)
Foliage G10: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
OD Green G10: Worker Sprint
Black FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG, Dragonfly FFG, Matriarch 2, Lil Matriarch, Centofante 3, Salt 1 PE
Grey FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
Purple FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
Green FRN: Delica FFG
Denim Blue FRN: Lil Matriarch PE (Thanks McL!)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

David from NC wrote:I'm out-no wide widths...
That's a bummer. The Chicane definitely runs on the very very wide side...it's wider than my wide width boots. If you have a really super wide foot though it may still be too narrow, but I have flintstone feet and my first impression when putting them on the first time was that they may be too wide. They feel just right now after a week of wearing them.

Their return policy is pretty solid as long as you don't wear them too much. They do free shipping and free return shipping, so I don't *think* there's much risk if they ended up being too narrow.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

David - Sorry to hear about your PF. I, too, have suffered from this ailment for years. Some times, it gets so bad it almost brings me to tears. I've had it under control for the past six months or so with a regimen of orthotics (even in my house shoes) and exercise. I also found that Birkenstock sandals help during the summer months.

I am going to check out the Chicane - thanks for the tip. Here's hoping for a pain-free 2015, eh?

TedP
Last edited by phillipsted on Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

For anyone dealing with any sort of joint/fascial pain I can highly recommend the book "Becoming A Supple Leopard" by Kelly Starrett. It's basically a troubleshooting manual for the human body. When I get into the "office" I'll flip through to see what it has to say about PF.

To tide you over, here is one of his vids on the subject (much less production value than he normally puts out, but useful info): https://youtu.be/rsYLsjXVLR8" target="_blank
christopher

Post by christopher »

Darn ___ Looks like I'm out. The sizing only runs to 13 and I am definitely a 14. Looks like a great solution. Another problem with being too tall. Darn it.
Chinook3

Post by Chinook3 »

Thanks Evil D for the info, I have a few patients with PF and nothing seems to be working for them, I will pass this info on to them, glad you found something that works.

"I am not a doctor, but I play one on the Spyderco Forum"
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Wow. That's awesome David. Nothing quite like being released from the kind of pain you described.