Spyderco Online Factory Seconds Sale!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wright.88

Re: Spyderco Online Factory Seconds Sale!

Post by Wright.88 »

nerdlock wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:04 pm
I had the main page loaded, then opened each item I wanted to order in a new tab. The site automatically updates the cart each time you add a new item even if it's in a separate browser tab.

I kept the main page with all the items open at all times because it was a nightmare to keep refreshing, and then timing out.

I did the same. The problem I ran into is that I tried checking out over 10 times and the page would fail to load each time after I submitted payment. Then I would refresh and it would go to the home screen and I would have to go through the 3-4 additional pages again to get back to the payment page. And each of these would timeout or fail to load multiple times. I missed out on the premium mystery boxes because of this but was able to get a few regular mystery boxes after 4 hours of trying. I tried to get a couple PM2s as gifts in a separate order after this but was unable to checkout after trying again multiple times. As bad as the whole process was, if Spyderco had some way to ensure a completed order once you clicked on submit order that would have been helpful. I've never had a website fail to complete an order after clicking submit order, let alone have this happen over 10 times.

I am glad Spyderco offered this sale online and love their knives. I have a lot of respect for them as a company. However, if they intend to do this again in the future, then they really do need to find a way to make it a smoother process. It was bad when they did it in 2020 but significantly smoother than now. If it's not possible to make it smoother then they probably should not try an online seconds sale again.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Wright.88 wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:33 pm
nerdlock wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:04 pm
I had the main page loaded, then opened each item I wanted to order in a new tab. The site automatically updates the cart each time you add a new item even if it's in a separate browser tab.

I kept the main page with all the items open at all times because it was a nightmare to keep refreshing, and then timing out.

I did the same. The problem I ran into is that I tried checking out over 10 times and the page would fail to load each time after I submitted payment. Then I would refresh and it would go to the home screen and I would have to go through the 3-4 additional pages again to get back to the payment page. And each of these would timeout or fail to load multiple times.

Don't get me wrong, it took me about 4 hours total, also, and I had an order that never made it to the final order confirmation page after payment despite a whole lot of refreshes. It was only after I got an SMS message from my card's bank and a confirmation email from Spyderco that I knew that the order went thru.

All in all, an order fulfillment took about an average over an hour of error messages, page reloads, starting all over again from scratch, among other things, but I believe that keeping the main page open was key in getting the items that I wanted since I did not have to wait for page reloads in order to add another item to my cart . Thankfully, despite the agony of waiting the items I had in cart did not sell out until I completed my order.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Thanks for the input guys, hopefully help me on the next sale.

I had some luck on my computer, 3 hours in had a cart with some stuff, but could not check out due to the VPN 8002 error. My phone would not load period until 8+ hours after the sale started. If I did not get the error on my computer I probably would have been able to get a few nice knives like a few lucky others.

Next time I will hopefully make sure the VPN is not an issue on my computer. Have a second connection in case the first falls and not depend on my phone even though I have had luck with the mule MagnaCut drop before.
Last edited by WilliamMunny on Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I had two phones and a laptop, utilizing multiple unique internet connections, using multiple browsers on each device, with multiple tabs open on each. None of these connections were using a VPN, and I've never used a VPN even once to access the Spyderco website.

I tried accessing the site 5 minutes before the sale began, and with the above setup it took me over 6 hours to be able to add a single item to my cart and check out.

I tried to buy a DLC/camo Military and could not order one. In the time between the sale going live and the sale ending I watched them sell out without being able to order a single one for myself.

Eventually once the web traffic slowed down I was able to add an Aqua Salt to my cart and grab one of those.

If my IP hadn't been flagged for fraud I would have been able to order the knife I wanted, the digicamo Military. In between finally being able to add one to my cart but not being able to check out, and Spyderco support fixing the 8002 error on my account, they sold out. That was a pretty negative experience.

I have used the same account since the first online seconds sale and have never had any issues at all. For some reason during this sale accounts were being flagged for fraud with the 8002 error and I have no idea why. I added the Military to my cart but couldn't check out despite having a 100% clean record on that card with zero disputes, charge backs, etc.

I hope Spyderco keeps doing online seconds sales because it is a lot more economical than traveling 1,850 miles to attend in person, but I also hope they can do something to make it so I can place an order in under 6 hours next time.
:unicorn
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

I will say the web team did great and did fix my VPN error it was just not until the sale ended. It was my understanding they had a huge list to go through.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
mreagan

Post by mreagan »

I saw Spyderco posted an apology on their social media accounts and was listening. That speaks volumes. As they also stated they were continuing to listen, so I'll add my experience as a point of reference. It took me 3.5 hours to order, I too started 5 minutes before the sale began and was not on a VPN. By the time the page pulled up, I was only interested in the Native Chief and Centofane. Got both in the cart, then the Native Chief was sold out by the time I was able to pay, maybe half hour later. It was a frustrating experience, but like everyone else has stated, I'm very glad to have the opportunity to order seconds online. Still love the knives, company and employees.
Matt

:bug-red-white , Watu, PM2 Crucarta, Shaman, Caribbean, SpydieChef, Ikuchi, Chaparral, Manix 2, Native 5, Siren, Delica 4, Kapara, Manix 2 Maxamet, Raven 2
VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

My favorite knives will still be Spyderco but I got to admit this seconds sale left a bitter taste. By the time I checked back after getting hours of white screens and a loading symbol that stalled less then a quarter of the way. I just didn’t want to buy anything. They still had one of the knives/steels that I was interested in but I was frustrated and decided not to purchase the Siren knife. I’m also afraid the same thing will happen with the next mule which should be a popular one. I was one of the people that requested a version of K294 and Spyderco being amazing responded to us. Love that about this company. That being said I’m leery of participating in the next online event/sale. I just don’t like getting that frustrated or upset.
Greg

* EDC - - - PM2 - S45VN, PM2 - Crucarta, Native 5 - CRUWEAR, Manix 2 LW - CPM M4

Mules in current use M398 and K294