If you know anything about the Mule Team

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
ToXicFrOgXx

If you know anything about the Mule Team

Post by ToXicFrOgXx »

Hey guys. I just recently looked into the Mule Team. I really like the idea of designing my own knife. I really would have liked to start off with the M4 and S90V models but from my understanding the are discontinued. If you know how to get one for not to much let me know. But Spyderco does have the 8 and 9 in production. Are these steels good for hard use such as camping and outdoors applications?? Will the new steels stain at all with food prep and gutting at all?? Are there any places that you know of to get the Mule Team knives for a good price too?? If you can help me at all I would appreciate it. Thanks. :)
ToXicFrOg
My spderco's include: Full Spyder Edge Cricket (Stainless), Combo Edge Delica 4 (Bi-Directional Grip), Sage 1 (Carbon Fiber), Manix 2 (G-10). :)
bada61265

Post by bada61265 »

the m4 and s90v models are probubly going to run you about double or more what the current runs from spyderco are.
only sources ive seen them on are ebay and a couple of the for sale sections on knife forums. like to get one myself but for the cost is now too much.
my knives:
kershaw Leek Buck 119 Cold Steel Recon tanto
Cold Steel Ti Lite VI ,
Spyderco: Tenacious ,Persistence, Endura 4 blue Stretch zdp blue, Manix 2 ,Native s30v . Sage2 titanium, Gayle Bradly cpm m4, Muleteam mt 10, woodcraft mule s30v. Orange Delica 4
Bark River PSK 154cm, Gunny, Bravo 2, Canadian Special
angusW

Post by angusW »

I've heard the Blue stains pretty easily. Actually seen pics of it. Haven't used mine to confirm it. I missed the M4 and S90V versions as well. Just keep your eyes peeled and you might find one for a good deal.

Good example right here.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48201
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
ToXicFrOgXx

Post by ToXicFrOgXx »

Where did you find the blue?? And was is relatively not to expensive?? If I may ask??
ToXicFrOg
My spderco's include: Full Spyder Edge Cricket (Stainless), Combo Edge Delica 4 (Bi-Directional Grip), Sage 1 (Carbon Fiber), Manix 2 (G-10). :)
J32A2

Post by J32A2 »

Super blue can be found at spyderco.com
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

The Blue he was talking about is the Aogami Super Blue MT08, which is still available through the factory outlet at spyderco.com. All of the Mule Team knives have been sold direct from Spyderco to eliminate middleman markups, giving us the lowest possible price. Everything else is secondary market, where you are buying from someone who bought from SFO at MSRP.

The Super Blue Mule is not stainless. The blade of my user has not developed noticeable patina, probably because I don't use it for food prep. The handle has rusted where the cord wrap has gotten wet, though. The same thing happened to my M4 Mule. I doubt you'll see any staining on the Cobalt Special MT09, since the outside is 420J2, which is very rust resistant. I haven't worked that one too hard yet, but so far it is holding up well.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

M4 and S90V Mules are very sought after and fetch some crazy prices nowadays. Out of the 2 Mules still available at this time, I would recommend the MT09 Cobalt Special especially if you are worried about rust resistance, Super Blue is almost like a carbon steel.
For info on Cobalt Special, check out this thread and mainly the post by Michael Janich:
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48154
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Just to clarify one other point, none of the Mule Team knives that have been released are still "in production". They are essentially Sprint Runs. A small number (usually around 600) are made in each steel, and the entire production run is on the shelf when the knife is released. Once they are gone, they are gone for good. Get them from SFO while you can.
RedRunner

Post by RedRunner »

I still see the S90V mule on a popular auction site on a regular basis. It's not silly cheap like it was from SFO, but for what you get, it's a good price on those sites.
ToXicFrOgXx

Post by ToXicFrOgXx »

RedRunner wrote:I still see the S90V mule on a popular auction site on a regular basis. It's not silly cheap like it was from SFO, but for what you get, it's a good price on those sites.
What kind of auction sites?? Im kinda new to all this stuff. Lol
ToXicFrOg
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I think he is refering to eBay. I don't know for certain since my bank account has been telling me to stay off there.
bada61265

Post by bada61265 »

i saw one on ebay looking like it could hit $200 or more. sorry but i can get a real good knife complete for that much. i realize there are collectors and one might pay an outrageous sum to fill out a collection. to me there users and i like my mt10. very resistant to staining, im no big fan of rust or a patina. i would like to see some mt`s come out in super steels like m90 and m4 though. even more id love to see a different pattern. maybe a bushcraft.
my knives:
kershaw Leek Buck 119 Cold Steel Recon tanto
Cold Steel Ti Lite VI ,
Spyderco: Tenacious ,Persistence, Endura 4 blue Stretch zdp blue, Manix 2 ,Native s30v . Sage2 titanium, Gayle Bradly cpm m4, Muleteam mt 10, woodcraft mule s30v. Orange Delica 4
Bark River PSK 154cm, Gunny, Bravo 2, Canadian Special
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

M4 has been done. Bushcraft blanks have been done, but they're not Mule Teams. The idea, back in the beginning of the project, was to put different steels in the same format to compare the steels rather than the blade shape, grind, etc. Some of us are still using them that way. ;)
xavierdoc

Post by xavierdoc »

I have been enjoying putting the mule team knives through their paces (reviews on here somewhere- more to come) but I missed the M4 and S90v. Just this weekend I found a mint S90v blank at a good price; they do turn up so keep your eyes peeled.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Seems a lot of people missed tout on some of the more popular Mules...maybe they can redo the M4 and S90V...please?
On the hunt for...
ToXicFrOgXx

Post by ToXicFrOgXx »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:Seems a lot of people missed tout on some of the more popular Mules...maybe they can redo the M4 and S90V...please?
I agree. We should start a thread asking for Spyderco to bring them back for a second run. :)
ToXicFrOg
unit

Post by unit »

I am sure that Spyderco already understands that MANY people want more M4 and S90V...but I doubt it would hurt to ask ;)

I think a small fixed blade (like the mule) in either one of these steels would be a REAL winner as a permanent (or at lease semi-permanent) placeholder in the catalog.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

unit wrote:I am sure that Spyderco already understands that MANY people want more M4 and S90V...but I doubt it would hurt to ask ;)

I think a small fixed blade (like the mule) in either one of these steels would be a REAL winner as a permanent (or at lease semi-permanent) placeholder in the catalog.
I completely agree! After getting the Street Beat I have been nearly obsessed with the idea of a very similar knife done in M4. In fact I'd be totally and completely happy with a Street Beat in M4. Sprint run would be fine...model already exists, so how hard to use different steel?
On the hunt for...
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Creepo wrote:M4 and S90V Mules are very sought after and fetch some crazy prices nowadays. Out of the 2 Mules still available at this time, I would recommend the MT09 Cobalt Special especially if you are worried about rust resistance, Super Blue is almost like a carbon steel.
For info on Cobalt Special, check out this thread and mainly the post by Michael Janich:
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48154
Toxicfrog, I second Creepo's Recommendation. The Cobalt Mule is quite resistant to rust due not only to its outer layers, but the core steel itself is highly rust resistant because of its chemical composition. Plus the layers look really cool too. Here's where you buy the actual knife:http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=623
yablanowitz wrote:Here you go.

My :spyder:'s: Tan M4 Manix!, P'kal, Rock Salt, Pink Endura CE, Orange Moran, USN Endura, Bug, Honeybee, FRN Cricket.
ToXicFrOgXx

Post by ToXicFrOgXx »

It sounds like the Cobalt Special will do what I need it to. Thanks guys. :)
ToXicFrOg