Spyderco Sharpmaker, can be used on any serrated blade?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
smuckfelly

Spyderco Sharpmaker, can be used on any serrated blade?

Post by smuckfelly »

Hello guys, is me again...the newbie.

As mention the in subject title, just wondering how good is spyderco sharpmaker's capability of sharpening serrated blades? Can the spyderco sharpmaker sharpen serrated blades from cold steel recon 1 serrated blade?

I heard the sharpmarker is a very good and foolproof sharpening tool. But wondering what sort of blade that sharpmaker can't take?

Thanks in advance and sorry if there is a thread you guys have discussed about this before.
farnorthdan

Re: Spyderco Sharpmaker, can be used on any serrated blade?

Post by farnorthdan »

You bet, works great, there will be other recommendations but the SM is the ticket for me.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
smuckfelly

Post by smuckfelly »

hmmm, thanks for the recommendations. going to get one soon...but i think recon 1 serrated edge might be difficult to be sharpen given the fine teeth across.
Attachments
27TLCSH_2.jpg
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Yea that looks pretty tight, you use the corners of the SM rods, they get in pretty tight but I've never handled that knife in person so not sure, you might need a diamond needle file, they're pretty cheap.
Last edited by farnorthdan on Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

First of all I want to establish that I'm a big fan of the 204 Sharpmaker and I've owned and constantly used a couple of them for years now. I will say this concerning the 204 Sharpmaker for using it to sharpen many different serration patterns including what most of us know as "Spyderedges" >> yes the 204 Sharpmaker will do a decent sharpening job on most serration patterns. Now I have encountered some serration patterns out there on the open market that are highly specialized and some take special sharpening tools to accomodate them.

Albeit you can use the 204 Sharpmaker on most serration patterns out there. Personally I don't use my Sharpmaker very much on serrated blades I use one of Spyderco's old sharpening tools called the 701 Profiles>> they are currently discontinued but I do have high hopes that they will someday return to the Spyderco product line up. When it comes to most of Spyderco's serration patterns I find that doing them manually for each spike and each scallop tends to keep the pattern just like it came from the factory>> whereas I find that the 204 Sharpmaker somewhat rounds off the spike part of the serration pattern on most Spyderedges.

Now you also have the GOLDENSTONE which can do a lot of the same jobs that the 701 Profiles can do however you can only get the GOLDENSTONE in "FINE" grit. But for plain edged blades you can maintain a super sharp edge very nicely with minimal effort most of the time.
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

Ive owned cold steel knives over thé the years and never really liked those serrations. They cut like mad though...until they're dull.
:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder:
paladin

Post by paladin »

Swallow your pride & send your SE's in for factory sharpening...

The best results I can personally get always end up rounding off the points ( as JD referenced )....
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

The 204 rods won't fit into the finest small serrations as shown on the Cold Steel pictured. The rear side can be maintained with the rods. For this reason I avoid the very small serrations, too hard to properly maintain.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Bill1170 wrote:The 204 rods won't fit into the finest small serrations as shown on the Cold Steel pictured. The rear side can be maintained with the rods. For this reason I avoid the very small serrations, too hard to properly maintain.
Same here. I use my serrated knives a lot and touch them up at least twice a week. Those small serrations are just too much trouble to sharpen properly IMO.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

See my post in "Off Topic" section about a special sharpener specifically designed for those ultra-narrow serrations.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I have found the Sharpmaker breaks those small Cold Steel Pointy teeth serrations with only a few passes...Never had a problem with any other serrations....Doc:)
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:See my post in "Off Topic" section about a special sharpener specifically designed for those ultra-narrow serrations.
+1....Doc:)
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

ChefMate used the same (or very similar) serration pattern as Cold Steel uses today on steak knives in the past.
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

I use tapered DMT rods for serrations and they work well for most sizes, i don't think they'd work on the CS serrations though. I love those small, tight teeth, looks like a killer cutter.
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

smuckfelly

Post by smuckfelly »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:See my post in "Off Topic" section about a special sharpener specifically designed for those ultra-narrow serrations.
hello sir, thanks for your topic. appreciate it and it has been an eye opening to see such sharpener
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Smuckfelly,

For Lynn's small serrations, we recommend our triangular machinists fine (I think it's a 400T). The radius of the edges are small enough to fit into Lynn's serrations.

sal
smuckfelly

Post by smuckfelly »

sal wrote:Hi Smuckfelly,

For Lynn's small serrations, we recommend our triangular machinists fine (I think it's a 400T). The radius of the edges are small enough to fit into Lynn's serrations.

sal
Good day Sal, thanks for the heads up. Will look at them in sypderco website.