Mantra 3 ETA?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bill1170

Mantra 3 ETA?

Post by Bill1170 »

I watched a video of Eric Glesser showing new products at the SHOT show. I was intrigued by the Mantra 3.

Key changes for me:
Stainless steel blade (which alloy?)
Compression lock
2nd generation CQI’d bearing system

This might become my first ever titanium bodied folder. None before have been so compelling. Can anyone give a ballpark on when these will ship?
koenigsegg

Re: Mantra 3 ETA?

Post by koenigsegg »

I'm pretty sure it's S30V with Peel Ply G10/CF. I would bet these are ready by March but I waited 10 months for the Silverax so I guess we will see. I doubt anyone has a real date unless Sal himself chimes in.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Bill1170 wrote:I watched a video of Eric Glesser showing new products at the SHOT show. I was intrigued by the Mantra 3.

Key changes for me:
Compression lock

This might become my first ever titanium bodied folder. None before have been so compelling. Can anyone give a ballpark on when these will ship?
I'm betting it won't since it's G10/CF laminate ;)
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
phaust

Post by phaust »

Since it wasn't in the last booklet, seems like at best we'll see it the second half of the year
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Evil D wrote:
Bill1170 wrote:I watched a video of Eric Glesser showing new products at the SHOT show. I was intrigued by the Mantra 3.

Key changes for me:
Compression lock

I'm betting it won't since it's G10/CF laminate ;)
DOH! I forgot that part. You’re correct, of course. I actually prefer G-10 to metal handles. Carbon fiber is good, but my experience with it is super limited.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

phaust wrote:Since it wasn't in the last booklet, seems like at best we'll see it the second half of the year
Thanks. Do we know either the blade alloy or which country it’ll be built in?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Bill1170 wrote:
phaust wrote:Since it wasn't in the last booklet, seems like at best we'll see it the second half of the year
Thanks. Do we know either the blade alloy or which country it’ll be built in?
I believe I saw S30V and Taichung.
~David
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Thanks, David. I guess the current Mantras are from Taichung as well.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Bill1170 wrote:Thanks, David. I guess the current Mantras are from Taichung as well.
Yep. I'm curious about the bearings/pivot. The Sliverax has a 4mm blade and I suspect much of that is for the lock face and to accommodate the milled out recesses that the bearings sit in. I wonder if the Mantra 3 will also be 4mm? The 1/2 were 3mm.
~David
argyle1812

Post by argyle1812 »

Did anyone see specs on the size of the new one? Wondering if its the same as the mantra 2.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Evil D wrote:
Bill1170 wrote:Thanks, David. I guess the current Mantras are from Taichung as well.
Yep. I'm curious about the bearings/pivot. The Sliverax has a 4mm blade and I suspect much of that is for the lock face and to accommodate the milled out recesses that the bearings sit in. I wonder if the Mantra 3 will also be 4mm? The 1/2 were 3mm.
The new Spyder Byte just came out. In it, they announced that the Advocate now has the same improvements we see on the Sliverax and Mantra 3. However, BladeHQ lists the Advocate has having a 0.12" blade, which is just over 3mm. So there does not seem to be a standard thickness for blades with the new bearings. Maybe M4 can be thinner due to the toughness of the steel? I hope the M3 has a 3mm blade like the previous versions.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

p_atrick wrote:
Evil D wrote:
The new Spyder Byte just came out. In it, they announced that the Advocate now has the same improvements we see on the Sliverax and Mantra 3. However, BladeHQ lists the Advocate has having a 0.12" blade, which is just over 3mm. So there does not seem to be a standard thickness for blades with the new bearings. Maybe M4 can be thinner due to the toughness of the steel? I hope the M3 has a 3mm blade like the previous versions.
I'm thinking more about overall thickness. You have to mill out enough recess for the bearings somewhere, either on the tang or liners or maybe both.
~David
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

So far I have owned zero ball bearing pivot knives. Bronze washers work great for me. The Mantra 1 is a perfect shape for me, and the Mantra 3 appears to keep that shape while offering changes that boost its attractiveness (to me).
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Mantra 3 is up for pre-order on Knife Center if anyone's interested. It's priced at $155.97 which seems about right.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

I believe Eric said in one of his SHOT interviews - I can't quite remember which one and I could be misremembering - that the Mantra 3 will be replacing the previous Mantras. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that, but if so does that mean we will see close-out sales on the current generations when they get discontinued? And would you anticipate the discontinuation coming fairly soon on the heels of the Mantra 3 release? Thanks y'all.
~andrew
OutdoorsFamilyMan

Post by OutdoorsFamilyMan »

Any idea when this will hit dealers?