Spyderco and the madmen over at G&G Hawk

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Abyss_Fish

Spyderco and the madmen over at G&G Hawk

Post by Abyss_Fish »

This seems to come up every few years, so I figured I may as well do it again.

Sooooooo, why aren't there any G&G Hawk designed models? It seems like a given, Spyderco makes the occasional "weird knife" and works with lots of odd locks, and the lads at G&G Hawk are mad scientists. A match made in heaven.

hawk-lock sage? weird steampunk thing with a spyderhole? Spyderco produced serge orbit...?

probably not that last one. But my favorite part of the Spyderco catalog is the weird stuff, and the hawks are my other favorite "weird knife" makers.

--here's to more weird stuff--
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
curlyhairedboy

Re: Spyderco and the madmen over at G&G Hawk

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I would definitely be on board with a collab if it happened!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I like weird stuff, but it also needs to serve a purpose.

I thought their e.t. lock was the most innovative design in the industry. I also do not think that it makes the knife better or more functional in any way. It is overcomplex and decreases the knifes functionality.

Some of their other stuff seems pretty neat.

I like weird and innovative, but I still want the knife to be as functional as possible.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

These are the guys behind the MUDD auto knife?
It could be interesting knife, but more for the fidget crowd, nohing that tickles my needs. But I guess if it going to be a really whacky knife, it could be popular amongst the people. Price will be high, I guess.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Aren’t G&G Hawk the ones who make an aftermarket clip with a “press to release” feature? I’ve never tried one, but it’s a clever idea.

Maybe not. There’s nothing about the clip on their site. It was some years ago and runs of expensive knives seem to be their primary emphasis now.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Bill1170 wrote: Aren’t G&G Hawk the ones who make an aftermarket clip with a “press to release” feature? I’ve never tried one, but it’s a clever idea.

Maybe not. There’s nothing about the clip on their site. It was some years ago and runs of expensive knives seem to be their primary emphasis now.
Not sure.
LionSteel has a press clip that sits flush with the knife when the clip isnt engaged. I think thats really cool and would like to see spyderco try it out. The clip would never mess with the handle ergos.
Attachments
20200825_151607.png
20200825_151542.png
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:19 pm
Bill1170 wrote: Aren’t G&G Hawk the ones who make an aftermarket clip with a “press to release” feature? I’ve never tried one, but it’s a clever idea.

Not sure.
LionSteel has a press clip that sits flush with the knife when the clip isnt engaged. I think thats really cool and would like to see spyderco try it out. The clip would never mess with the handle ergos.
Thanks. That’s very clever and cool. Not a retrofit option, unfortunately.
Elshauno

Post by Elshauno »

Bill1170 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:39 pm
Aren’t G&G Hawk the ones who make an aftermarket clip with a “press to release” feature? I’ve never tried one, but it’s a clever idea.

Pretty sure they make/or designed the Hawk Clip for Chris Reeve Knives
https://chrisreeve.com/products/hawk-pocket-clip
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Elshauno wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:35 am
Bill1170 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:39 pm

Pretty sure they make/or designed the Hawk Clip for Chris Reeve Knives
https://chrisreeve.com/products/hawk-pocket-clip
Interesting, thank you.