Heron by Chad Kelly ... collab?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Xplorer

Re: Heron by Chad Kelly ... collab?

Post by Xplorer »

elena86 wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 2:29 am
My Heron just arrived. ...
I'm very happy to hear your new Heron is safely in your hands Marius! Thank you for your patience!

I'm happy you requested an Ivory substitute. This was an opportunity for me to research all of the materials that emulate ivory and I always enjoy digging deeper into knife-related rabbit holes. In the end I chose to use Supertusk because it looks and feels extremely realistic. The overall color is right, and it includes a very fine grain pattern that matches the grain of genuine ivory. I was impressed with the material and will continue to use it as an ivory substitute in the future.

One of the things that makes your Heron (#003) special to me is it is the first Heron to receive beveled bolsters. From this point forward Herons will continue to have bolsters that physically hold the scales down, but yours will always be the first one with that added feature.

Your request to keep the sheath as compact as possible made retaining this knife design challenging. I hope the configuration works well for you. This sheath includes the first stingray hide I've used. I felt that the "formal" look of the ivory handle on tuxedo liners blended well with the "caviar" look of the black, rounded stingray barbs.

Once again, I found myself shipping you a knife that I wanted to keep for myself. :smlling-eyes

I sincerely hope your new knife serves you well!

Best regards,

CK

P.S. I forgot to tell you..turquoise is regulated in USA and when you buy it from a legitimate supplier they disclose the mine from which it came. The piece of turquoise on your lanyard is from the Cripple Creek Mine in Colorado.
Last edited by Xplorer on Tue May 23, 2023 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Another outstanding knife Chad….even though I own one of your knives I get jealous of all these new owners of one of your creations…. :worried
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

standy99 wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 10:48 am
Another outstanding knife Chad….even though I own one of your knives I get jealous of all these new owners of one of your creations…. :worried
Thank you very much Andy! That is a tremendous compliment. I'm proud to have had the opportunity to make you a knife and your Osprey is another one I did not want to part with.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Chad,

Glad you sorted out your issues. Persistence is king. So is your ability to overcome adversity. We're proud of you. We're still planning on your knife when our world get's sorted.

Looking forward to receiving the new proto and Gail's knife.

sal
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Love the "locking bolsters." You keep finding ways to make a better knife! Very clever.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

sal wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 1:59 pm
Hi Chad,

Glad you sorted out your issues. Persistence is king. So is your ability to overcome adversity. We're proud of you. We're still planning on your knife when our world get's sorted.

Looking forward to receiving the new proto and Gail's knife.

sal
Thank you Sal!

I hope you and Gail are doing well.

If there's one thing that knife making has taught me it's that adversity is the gateway to growth, or even the gateway to greatness if one is inclined to see it that way. Challenges and obstacles are literally opportunities for advancement. Even though last year may have been the toughest I've had so far, I have reached a point where I welcome each new adversity and look forward to who I'll be when I overcome the next challenge.

I know Spyderco has had it's adversities through the past couple of crazy years (supply chain problems, market changes, staffing issues during covid, etc..) and working through adversity takes time. I am confident Spyderco will grow one way or another as a result of the challenges of the past couple years, and I look forward to seeing the stronger company that emerges from the experience.

Meanwhile, thank you for your continued support. I sent the prototype I've been carrying to Alex last week. It's available for you to play with when you're in Golden. I'd love to hear your thoughts after you carry it for a little while.

In the time that has passed since I finished Gail's knife I've decided I needed to make a couple of little improvements/refinements. After doing the refinements recently, I needed to make a new sheath. I'm just about wrapped up with the new sheath and I will most likely ship her knife out Tuesday of next week.

Best regards,
Chad Kelly
Last edited by Xplorer on Wed May 24, 2023 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Bolster wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 10:27 pm
Love the "locking bolsters." You keep finding ways to make a better knife! Very clever.
Thank you Bolster!

Beveled bolsters has been a feature I've admired on a lot of great knife makers' knives for a long time. I just didn't have the tooling set up to confidently and consistently achieve the precision I wanted so I didn't do it.

That's the hardest part of the process for me...there's literally 20 or more additional things I would like to start doing on my knives today...right now. Sadly, each one of them requires varying levels of tooling investment from $1500 - $15,000 (most falling in the $3000 range), so progress is painfully slower than I would like. Each year I get a couple new tools that give me a couple new abilities and slowly, but slowly I make progress. :yawn :woozy :grin-big eyes

Thank you for noticing my latest bit of progress. :grin-big eyes
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I am simply awestruck by the quality of that Heron. It is stunning. Congratulations to both artisan and owner!
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Xplorer wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 2:21 pm
...Beveled bolsters has been a feature I've admired on a lot of great knife makers' knives for a long time. I just didn't have the tooling set up to confidently and consistently achieve the precision I wanted so I didn't do it....

Now I'm curious what additional tooling was necessary. I've been trying to think how I would make beveled bolsters...I'm thinking a precision tilting vise for the mill? To get precise angles on the mating surfaces of the bolster and on the scales? I've seen some CNC fitment done by a gunsmith and it was amazingly precise, but I don't recollect that you have a CNC mill. Getting perfect fits of dissimilar materials along angled and curved surfaces fascinates me...because I can't do it. So my work tends to be boring straight lines and butt joints.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Chad,

Eric has the proto and he said he's been carrying it for a while. I get to play with it when we're back in Golden mid June.

Spyderco has had numerous ups and down over the years. Came close to closing at least 3 times that I can remember. "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger". We've had Controller steal the IRS tax funds. We had financial challenges that were very challenging. Our new accountant Jack saved our butts on that one.

We run our company with a very unusual set of values, rather than the "Bottom Line is everything" approach. We try to balance. Naturally, product in most important. But crew is important, customers are important, vendors are important. All that "important" can be expensive, so a careful balance is necessary,...............................and challenging.

I'm sure we'll have more in the future, as will you. The ability to overcome adversity is a powerful value.

When I said "we're proud of your ability to overcome adversity", I meant all of us. This forum is kind of an extended Spyderco family.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 10:36 pm

We run our company with a very unusual set of values, rather than the "Bottom Line is everything" approach. We try to balance. Crew is important, customers are important, vendors are important. All that "important" can be expensive, so a careful balance is necessary,...............................and challenging.

I'm sure we'll have more in the future, as will you. The ability to overcome adversity is a powerful value.

When I said "we're proud of your ability to overcome adversity", I meant all of us. This forum is kind of an extended Spyderco family.

sal

It has been said quite often already in replies to posts like the above - but I just have to say it again:

Words like these, a "philosophy" and an approach like this towards how to run a company is is a huge part of what makes me so enthusiastic about Spyderco knives (actually the only brand I am interested in when it comes to folders for quite some time now).

Not "just" the great products themselves.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Bolster wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 9:25 pm
Xplorer wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 2:21 pm
...Beveled bolsters has been a feature I've admired on a lot of great knife makers' knives for a long time. I just didn't have the tooling set up to confidently and consistently achieve the precision I wanted so I didn't do it....

Now I'm curious what additional tooling was necessary. I've been trying to think how I would make beveled bolsters...I'm thinking a precision tilting vise for the mill? To get precise angles on the mating surfaces of the bolster and on the scales? I've seen some CNC fitment done by a gunsmith and it was amazingly precise, but I don't recollect that you have a CNC mill. Getting perfect fits of dissimilar materials along angled and curved surfaces fascinates me...because I can't do it. So my work tends to be boring straight lines and butt joints.
There are a lot of ways to do the bevels. It can be done with as little as a 45 degree block and a clamp. For me, precision and repeatability were the most important concerns, while cost is always a huge factor. Being able to change materials and sizes and still be sure I could produce a smooth vibration free cut each time was important.
The solution I am using is relatively simple, gives me the precision and repeatability I wanted, plus a lot of flexibility to do a huge array of other things in the future.

I received a set of very high quality sine plates from our generous fellow forumite Rustyiron. The one I'm using here is a compound bevel plate capable of 180 degrees of adjustment in both x and y axis. This one can securely hold a part at any compound angle imaginable and I'm using it to cut a simple 45 :grin-smiling-eyes . BUT..it's a very clean simple 45! :tonque-out
Last edited by Xplorer on Thu May 25, 2023 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

sal wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 10:36 pm
Hi Chad,

Eric has the proto and he said he's been carrying it for a while. I get to play with it when we're back in Golden mid June.

Spyderco has had numerous ups and down over the years. Came close to closing at least 3 times that I can remember. "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger". We've had Controller steal the IRS tax funds. We had financial challenges that were very challenging. Our new accountant Jack saved our butts on that one.

We run our company with a very unusual set of values, rather than the "Bottom Line is everything" approach. We try to balance. Naturally, product in most important. But crew is important, customers are important, vendors are important. All that "important" can be expensive, so a careful balance is necessary,...............................and challenging.

sal
After having spent many, many years carrying and enjoying a whole bunch of knives designed by both you and Eric, it's a genuine honor and a little surreal for me to hear about Eric carrying my knife, and you getting to it in June.

Hearing someone stole from you boils my blood. I don't think I can say what I think of a person that would do that within the rules of this forum.

I've been on this forum long enough to know you've got a big family of supporters here. I know I'm far from alone in wanting to see Spyderco thrive. Your special set of values makes Spyderco stand above and apart from the rest. Stay true to who you are and let us (your supporters) know how we can help you bring the company to where it needs to be.

Best regards,
Chad
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 3:17 pm
I am simply awestruck by the quality of that Heron. It is stunning. Congratulations to both artisan and owner!
Thank you very much for such a nice compliment! :preying
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Xplorer wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 12:39 am
...I received a set of very high quality sine plates from our generous fellow forumite Rusyiron. The one I'm using here is a compound bevel plate capable of 180 degrees of adjustment in both x and y axis. ...

Excellent! Thanks for the photos.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Chad,

I reread this thread. What a great collection of pictures, kind words, and stories from you and Sal. What I liked most was your walking through of your thought process on features of the knives. I had no idea back locks were that challenging. Back on Page 4, you talked about changing the lock type of the Piute or creating a liner lock version of the Heron. Just curious about how this is turning out. What have you learned, what do you like, what do you dislike, etc.? To me, the decisions behind the product can be just as interesting as the product itself.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Xplorer wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 12:39 am
This one can securely hold a part at any compound angle imaginable and I'm using it to cut a simple 45
Good on ya. I'm glad you're able to put the sine plates to good use.

∿∿∿∿∿∿∿∿∿ 🍽️
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

p_atrick wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 10:42 am
Chad,

I reread this thread. What a great collection of pictures, kind words, and stories from you and Sal. What I liked most was your walking through of your thought process on features of the knives. I had no idea back locks were that challenging. Back on Page 4, you talked about changing the lock type of the Piute or creating a liner lock version of the Heron. Just curious about how this is turning out. What have you learned, what do you like, what do you dislike, etc.? To me, the decisions behind the product can be just as interesting as the product itself.
Hi Patrick,

Frankly, I just had to go back and re-read the thread to be able to remember what all had been written here. First, thank you for reading all of that! It was a lot! I appreciate your interest. Jeez, that xplorer guy is a windbag (or the whatever the typing equivalent is).

I get the impression that just about everyone has no idea how hard it is to design and build a back-lock by hand, particularly a mid back-lock. I think the fact that back-locks like the Buck 110 have been around longer than many knife users have been alive at this point makes it seem as though they must be easy to make. When I was first presented with the challenge to build a mid back-lock, I was aware of what every part in such knives (like the Native) looked like and I thought, "sure I can do that, it shouldn't be too difficult". I had been a knife maker for a couple years at that point and I had been a knife collector for decades already. Yet, the complexity of the engineering involved in those designs was still invisible to me. It turns out that the complexity of those seemingly simple parts and the precision with which they have to work together is far more than meets the eye.

I'll try to describe some of what makes this type of design difficult to make...
Within a roughly 190 degree semi-circle the arc of the lobe on the back of the blade has to provide for easy initial lock disengagement, an increase in friction as the blade swings closed for added safety, and an auto-close function that will safely hold the blade in the closed position. All of those functions have to transition smoothly from one to the next and must be balanced with an ability to open the knife easily in one hand. Spring pressure, leverage and the geometry related to the lock bar pivot location has to be fine tuned to get it all working properly. THEN, there has to be a means for the blade to stop securely in the closed position and not move the lock bar when pressure is applied to the spine while closed. The lock junction then has to be cut in a manner that allows it to open and close easily but holds tight with pressure applied to the blade (either upward or downward) without any lock movement. Lock geometry will not work correctly if the precision of the parts is off by .001" or geometry is off by 1/10 of a degree. The lock bar has to be able to provide the locking function in the open position and provide the auto-close pressure in the closed position while the spine must be in the same location in both positions. Then, I also wanted the lock cut-out in the blade to be covered by the handle while in the closed position and the blade tip to nest perfectly within the end of a handle that has it's own design requirements. That puts some additional limits on how far I can move the lock junction around to maximize the balance between auto-close and comfortable opening.

Everything I've mentioned (and there's quit a bit more) is closely tied together so that if you make an adjustment to any one thing it affects everything else.

Once a design is worked out, it's can be much easier to make using precision automated equipment like wire edm and certain cnc processes. But, making them by hand is always going to be a high-wire act.

If you simply take the need for auto-close out of the equation, a lock mechanism is infinitely easier to design and build (by hand).

I believe the reasons that I attempted to explain above are the reasons why I don't know of any other custom knife makers that design and build their own mid lock back-locks these days. I imagine there are others, I just don't know of any. I know of hundreds that make frame locks, liner locks and slip joints. I think what I see is most makers are smart enough to know they can get more money for a frame lock that takes less time to build. One day, I too hope to be a smart knife maker.

So, to address your questions re page 4..

Ultimately, I decided not to change the lock in the Piute. I made a couple more and built myself some tooling to make some of the steps more easily repeatable. I was able to make the process more consistently precise and much more manageable overall. Like anything, the more you do something and apply yourself, the better you get at it. For example, the latest prototype was built with Magnacut everything. But, for heat treating the blade I used a method to get to my desired HRC that didn't result in the sharpening performance and edge characteristics I was expecting. So, I made a new blade. For the second blade I used a different method to reach the same HRC and the blade performed as I wanted and expected. I was able to put that new blade directly into my existing prototype without changing or modifying the lock bar and the opening/closing/locking functionality still performs the same. In the past I could not have swapped a blade without also swapping the lock bar in order to make sure the lock functions correctly. The Piute (or whatever name is gets eventually) will continue to be a mid back-lock.

As for the liner-lock Heron design...that's become a separate project that I like very much as well. All project like that have a starting point, and then they evolve. I hope to put one of those in my pocket before the end of this year, but that's about all I can say about that one at this point. :hand-over-mouth

Thank you again for your interest in this collaboration project!

Be well!
CK
Last edited by Xplorer on Fri May 26, 2023 2:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

RustyIron wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 12:19 am

Good on ya. I'm glad you're able to put the sine plates to good use.

∿∿∿∿∿∿∿∿∿ 🍽️
I think of how nice you were to give me those sine plates each and every time I use them. Your kindness and generosity will never be forgotten. Thank you again!
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Any updates on this project?