Massad Ayoob II Model Maybe?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Massad Ayoob II Model Maybe?

Post by JD Spydo »

Well most of you are well aware of the recent success we had in getting another Sprint Run of the great C-60 Ayoob model. And I can't thank Mr. Glesser and the crew at Spyderco enough for this great Sprint Run. To say that it was a smashing success is a modest understatement. It's already my favorite full SE Spyderco folder and I plan on using it a lot. The minor improvements on this newest C-60 Spyderedged model are nothing short of pure genius. The new serration pattern on this recent release is outstanding and performs like a surgical scalpel. The one sad part of this recent C-60 Sprint Run is that we may never see any more of these in the foreseeable future. And that bums me out to think that this classic could die on the vine so to speak. Because I do believe this is one of Spyderco's top 5 best folders ever IMO.

I believe the best strategy would be to try to persuade Mr. Ayoob to do another updated design of the C-60. For him to do enough design changes so that it would qualify as a completely new model>> A Massad Ayoob II so to speak. So I'm willing to try to contact Mr. Massad Ayoob myself and see if he would like to consider designing a revamped, updated version with modifications and improvements. Because I believe our best chances of seeing a new model from Massad Ayoob are probably far better than to see another Sprint Run of the C-60. I will take on the burden of contacting Mr. Ayoob and will let him know how we feel about his design and see if he would be interested in trying to design a new modified, improved version of this classic.

But I do want as many of you to post on this thread and let him know how much we all appreciated this great C-60 design. Because I want him to know just how many fans he has here on the Spyderco Forum and how much we thoroughly appreciate this recent Sprint Run of his fabulous design. I would most definitely love to see a newer, modified design from him as I'm sure many of you would too. So please post your comments and let him and Spyderco know how you feel about it. If you are one of the guys who bought one then please let him know how much you appreciate it. And I will do my utmost best to contact him about it.
Naperville

Re: Massad Ayoob II Model Maybe?

Post by Naperville »

I like Massad Ayoob. I collect his books and videos.

I don't have a knife by him yet, that would be cool.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

A sequel to the C60 could be cool. It's one of the knives I use the most. The banana shaped grip is really comfortable to work with, especially with the really heavily bevelled scales. The fact that the handle is super slim makes it nice to carry too. It's a bit of a shame that I won't be able to replace it if I ever lose it.

The stretch 2 xl isn't that far off the ayoob design. That gives me some hope that we could get a new design similar to the ayoob eventually.

There are a few things they could improve with a sequel. I'm sure the knife could be lighter and the blade could be a bit slicier (FFG or thinner blade stock). It would also be nice to give it less ricasso (rock jumper style) and make the thumb ramp less of a snag point when drawing.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I apologize if you’re just looking for an echo chamber but I was so let down and disappointed by the C-60 Ayoob after how much it was hyped up on here. It’s just very niche and far from the do-it-all blade it was propped up as. I’d still be interested to see a new design from Massad Ayoob and Spyderco because I really want to see more new designs from Spyderco but my preferences would be for something that departs from the Ayoob design.
- Nick :bug-red
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Joe go for it , follow your passion . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Absolutely. It's an awesome design that can do almost anything. I could see maybe tweaking it into a more handle-forward designs or something like that. It's a pretty refined design though so maybe not much more to "improve".
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

vandelay wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:10 pm
A sequel to the C60 could be cool. It's one of the knives I use the most. The banana shaped grip is really comfortable to work with, especially with the really heavily bevelled scales. The fact that the handle is super slim makes it nice to carry too. It's a bit of a shame that I won't be able to replace it if I ever lose it.

The stretch 2 xl isn't that far off the ayoob design. That gives me some hope that we could get a new design similar to the ayoob eventually.

There are a few things they could improve with a sequel. I'm sure the knife could be lighter and the blade could be a bit slicier (FFG or thinner blade stock). It would also be nice to give it less ricasso (rock jumper style) and make the thumb ramp less of a snag point when drawing.
I agree. FFG and perhaps a more regular blade shape to give a more everyday focus (but absolutely *not* changing the handle, blade angle) would really do it for me.
benben

Post by benben »

A true high hollow grind would work, other than that, nothing!
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

How about some fresh designs rather than just rehashes or reworks of the same models over and over again?
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The Ayoob is lightning that Mas caught in a bottle.

I doubt its likes will occur again. Mas may not even have another knife-design in him, let alone one as unique as the Ayoob’s first and second sprints I will happily say I’m glad to have.

But when I say unique, I also mean I would not want it or some variation as my only knife. I want something—and indeed have many—far more versatile. You all know what father and son give us versatile knives in abundance, and perhaps even one to rule them all, like the PM2 I’m fondling.

If Mas, thoughtful guy that he is, has another design in him, I’ll certainly be curious to see if its idea is new. He’s given us something new before.

I’d rather we not guide him to what we want.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

StuntZombie wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:58 am
How about some fresh designs rather than just rehashes or reworks of the same models over and over again?
This.
- Nick :bug-red
James Y

Post by James Y »

Didn't Massad Ayoob have another knife design that was made by MOD (Masters of Defense)? IIRC, a fixed blade?

So it's possible he could have another design concept in mind. But if he doesn't, asking him to just think up a new one will be fruitless. That's not really how creative inspiration works.

Jim
ovgcguy

Post by ovgcguy »

I'm with you JD. The Ayoob is not getting long in the tooth at all. I'd love to see iteration 2.0 (or just more of the current sprint or ideally the ayoob becoming a yearly limited run)

The ayoob is one of the only knives I've doubled up on, and certainly have room for more.

"More slicey" from a FFG and a stainless blade like magnacut may be only requests for change in the future. Hard to go wrong with this model though
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:37 am
StuntZombie wrote:
This.

Meanwhile Spyderco are doing the exact opposite bringing out a Military 2 and are going to make a fortune doing it. Their top selling knives are the Delica and Endura which are just new versions of past designs. I want new stuff too but rehashing and updating successful designs is a big part of what Spyderco does.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:52 am
Didn't Massad Ayoob have another knife design that was made by MOD (Masters of Defense)? IIRC, a fixed blade?

So it's possible he could have another design concept in mind. But if he doesn't, asking him to just think up a new one will be fruitless. That's not really how creative inspiration works.

Jim
Yes he did have a fixed blade done with MOD. It was called the "Razorback". But heck I wouldn't care if he were to do another fixed blade as far as that goes. I never was able to get my hands on one of those RAZORBACK models. MOD also had a premium Hawkbill model known as the CaraCara. You can't find those either. I would have liked to had one of each but I was too slow on the draw..
benben

Post by benben »

StuntZombie wrote:
Wore my Ayoob to church this morning and was thinking about this thread….love the handle shape and size, love the gray G-10, LOVE this serrated Cru-Wear!

But, was wondering how a slight leaf shaped blade profile (not quite as broad as a Manix) would work with this same existing handle shape?

So, same handle with a serrated, leaf shaped high hollow grind in Cru-Wear? JD’s head will probably explode if he reads this!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:25 am
Their top selling knives are the Delica and Endura which are just new versions of past designs. I want new stuff too but rehashing and updating their own successful designs is a big part of what Spyderco does.
FTFY.

New variants, aside from sprints of new materials or sizes, are actually rare among collaborations (certainly among the nearly 30 models I have and do not rule out for a new edition).

The exceptional Chinook’s four variants, I would argue, are truly four different models, not shades of the same.

BTW, I now sorta regard the latest Ayoob as an Ayoob2 because a saber-grind is NOT a hollow-grind.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:45 pm
Evil D wrote:
Their top selling knives are the Delica and Endura which are just new versions of past designs. I want new stuff too but rehashing and updating their own successful designs is a big part of what Spyderco does.
FTFY.

New variants, aside from sprints of new materials or sizes, are actually rare among collaborations (certainly among the nearly 30 models I have and would not rule out for a new edition).
This is why I'm doing this thread is to get a broad based sample of what fans of the Ayoob model would like to see next. And I'm hoping I can persuade Mr. Ayoob to do enough changes with a new design to where you would have a completely new model all together.
But in spite of a new model I want the unique ergonomics and other nice features to remain the same.

I think the evidence is in that this C-60 model was way ahead of it's time. Because the fanbase is much more enthusiastic now than it was in the early 2000s. The overall market has changed significantly and I do think the timing will be excellent if Mr. Ayoob can be persuaded to take on this project.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:51 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:45 pm
Evil D wrote:
FTFY.

New variants, aside from sprints of new materials or sizes, are actually rare among collaborations (certainly among the nearly 30 models I have and would not rule out for a new edition).
This is why I'm doing this thread is to get a broad based sample of what fans of the Ayoob model would like to see next. And I'm hoping I can persuade Mr. Ayoob to do enough changes with a new design to where you would have a completely new model all together.
But in spite of a new model I want the unique ergonomics and other nice features to remain the same.

I think the evidence is in that this C-60 model was way ahead of it's time. Because the fanbase is much more enthusiastic now than it was in the early 2000s. The overall market has changed significantly and I do think the timing will be excellent if Mr. Ayoob can be persuaded to take on this project.
As I said earlier, I’d rather we not guide him to what we want. But, by all means, send up the Bat-Signal.

vandelay

Post by vandelay »

ChrisinHove wrote:
vandelay wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:10 pm
I agree. FFG and perhaps a more regular blade shape to give a more everyday focus (but absolutely *not* changing the handle, blade angle) would really do it for me.
Even without changing the handle shape, they could definitely skeletonize the liners more. The Ayoob has way more metal than something like the manix.

I think it would be interesting to see what ergonomic tweaks they could come up with though.
benben wrote: A true high hollow grind would work, other than that, nothing!
Yeah going back to the original hollow grind could work. The spine thickness still seems a bit excessive for that.
StuntZombie wrote:
Iterating on a design is how you perfect it. The Ayoob ergonomics aren't something that's really offered by anything else in the lineup, and well established products in spyderco's lineup seem to sell better (looking at the rockjumper vs delica).