Benchmade Water Series (salt series?)

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
VooDooChild

Benchmade Water Series (salt series?)

Post by VooDooChild »

Looks like Benchmade came out with a water series using magnacut. Im sure its trying to compete with the salt series from Spyderco.

Realistically this should probably be expected from a few manufacturers now that magnacut is out there. Especially Benchmade since they have also done several water knives over the years and were the first ones to use H1.

Im fine with my salt series and am not even in a hurry to switch to magnacut... However

What interest me is that Benchmade has a high end fillet knife.(Slightly thicker blade stock than a normal fillet knife.) Something we have talked about on this forum (and asked for) many times. I guess theres a whole discussion on whether or not a fillet knife should even be a high dollar knife but regardless, as someone who has wanted a high end "salt" series fillet knife, I guess I will be waiting to see if Spyderco comes to compete on that front.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
abbazaba

Re: Benchmade Water Series (salt series?)

Post by abbazaba »

When I saw the Benchmade post my first thought was a salt version of the Bugout in MC would break the internet
James Y

Post by James Y »

I wonder how they would 'Salt up' their Axis Lock (the Omega springs, etc.).

Jim
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

The small Adira looks nice but I'm not in a rush.
Attachments
image.png
- Richard
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

What is the Spyderco competitor to their Intersect? Small, magnacut fixed blade...definitely interesting to me.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

VooDooChild wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 3:57 pm
Looks like Benchmade came out with a water series using magnacut. Im sure its trying to compete with the salt series from Spyderco.

Realistically this should probably be expected from a few manufacturers now that magnacut is out there. Especially Benchmade since they have also done several water knives over the years and were the first ones to use H1.

Im fine with my salt series and am not even in a hurry to switch to magnacut... However

What interest me is that Benchmade has a high end fillet knife.(Slightly thicker blade stock than a normal fillet knife.) Something we have talked about on this forum (and asked for) many times. I guess theres a whole discussion on whether or not a fillet knife should even be a high dollar knife but regardless, as someone who has wanted a high end "salt" series fillet knife, I guess I will be waiting to see if Spyderco comes to compete on that front.
It looked like their Meatcrafter design but in Magnacut. They also have a small fixed blade in the Water series that has my attention
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

riclaw wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 11:38 pm
The small Adira looks nice but I'm not in a rush.

I am afraid that pronounced and "sharp" pinky hook on the rather short handle could be a problem (so that larger hand perhaps don´t have enough space between front guard and pinky hook and the pinky sits right ON that pretty abrupt hook)...
Just a guess of course, and certainly not an issue in that larger version.

Other things I don´t like too much from all I can tell now:

- Looking at BMs website:
They don´t use their new, flat and potentially stronger Omega springs, but still that old ones. Such broke on me twice, in my experience not suited for an outdoor knife.

- The "gap" between edge and handle: Just like a huge sharpening choil, really easy for matter that gets cut to snag there, but still too small for acting as kind of a finger choil.

- Deep carry...especially in the larger one I´d have to immediately swich to some "normal" carry clip, but that´s just me

Other than that:
Some nice features, like rather light for the blade length one gets or pretty thin blade stock, but not too fine tip
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I like that BM offers knives with short, neutral handles.
The small Adira could be rather perfect for my hand. The Manix-like sharp radius on the finger guard, grippy handle material and a rear hook should allow for a very comfortable and secure grip.

But I'm not sure another crossbar lock knife will be a good investment. I have a few already, and they almost never get carried. And while handle colors aren't important, it is a bit mehh, so that doesn't help either.

The small fixed blade OTOH, I might give a try. The Subway Bowie was a bit small, even for me, so that one will have to leave. The BM may offer just enough more edge and (especially) handle to fit the intended role of the SB.

If I didn't already own the Meatcrafter in CPM 154, I'd definitively get one of these in MC. The CPM 154 rusted big time on me the first time I brought it on a hunting trip. I.e. the first time I really used it.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I'm getting out the popcorn 🍿 for the inevitable head-to-head tests against the Salt knives in Magnacut.

Curious about:
- blade hardness
- edge retention
- corrosion resistance of the BM hardware and spring
- corrosion resistance of BM stonewashed blade

Competition is good. 👍
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Here is a corrosion test against a Native 5 Salt.

Hans

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Benchmade doesn't run their steels hard enough, very often. Performance suffers. The biggest thing for me is that they have this weird fixation on blade to handle ratio where the blade and handle need to be as equal in length as possible. It looks attractive, but is a bad idea as there is usually not enough handle for a man's hand. Thankfully. Spyderco is not so afflicted.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Spyderco for the win!!! 🏁
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Follow-up video, where he disassembles the knives.

As mentioned in the “Native 5 Magnacut HRC” thread, he is using a rebound hardness tester that is neither the industry best practice nor accurate for knives.

Still, the video is an interesting data point for corrosion resistance.
Hans