PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on Dozier Pro guide?

Jimmy_Dean
08-31-2005, 10:41 AM
I'm in the process of trading one of my Strider for a brand new Dozier Profesionnal Guides (KS-3) with green micarta handles.

The reason is I'm very curious about D2(never handled any) and Mr. Dozier's work in general.

But I don't really know what to expect. Can any one tell me of their experience with a large(over 4") Dozier fixed blade and some comments on the knife.

Thanks

agony
08-31-2005, 04:09 PM
My 'go to' camp/hunting knives are either a Dozier pro guide or the larger wilderness knives. Amazing pieces for the money. You could spend a lot more and end up with the same results. Bob is the master of D2 heat-treating. His edges stay sharp forever. I keep mine more toothy than polished. The grinds are not too fat or steep which makes for good slicing. In one week during a hunt, I was able to use my pro guide for all the normal chores (kindling/cooking/etc), and it held a great edge for dressing out two deer and the subsequent butchering. The knife is still as sharp as it was the day I received it. I've only resharpened it once in the past two seasons.

Some folks don't like the slickness of the scales. I find when it gets wet it gets tackier for better purchase.

His sheaths, particularly the Wilderness-style sheaths, are by far the best kydex you can get IMHO. The knife is held securely, but removing and resheathing is so smooth and easy. Hard to describe until you try it in person.

I've never had any probs with corrosion/pitting on any of my Doziers.

I'd suggest an accompanying smaller blade to go with the larger Doziers.

The KS-7 is a thicker bladed knife than the KS-3.

I'd love to have a KS-3 with canvas micarta scales. That would be the ultimate.

Jimmy_Dean
08-31-2005, 04:53 PM
Hey Agony,
thanks alot, that's one sweet post.
Just what I wanted to know. I get two sheath with my knife: Model B and the wilderness one. Both look very well made and durable.

I will certainly get more Dozier in the future, my impression on the first one will dertermine roughly how many :)

Thanks again, really appreciate

-Dean

CKE
08-31-2005, 06:02 PM
Dean...post pics if you can when it arrives:) Congrats, Doziers are sweet. I love his liner lock folders. Take Care!!!

johns
08-31-2005, 06:10 PM
I have 4 Doziers - pro guide, master skinner, trapper (folder) and folding hunter. They all came scary sharp and hold their edges a long time. I do find the D2 harder to sharpen if I let them go than some of my other knives with "softer" steels.
I also think that they are a great value and you can pay a lot more for a lot less. That said I also love my Strider AR and wouldn't trade it for anything.
I don't know what model you are trading so I can't give any opinion there, but my pro guide is one of my favorites.

Jimmy_Dean
08-31-2005, 08:15 PM
Still don't have a camera CKE, sorry. Too many knives to buy :)
When I do get one, I'll make sure I post a few shots. Thanks for asking!

My 'lame' AR is not going anywhere either, John. I'm trading it for a clip point WP. I bought it as a small Strider, that would whittle and clean fishes and stuff when I'm outdoors but the edge is too thick to perform like I wanted. It's still a great knife, that I EDC quite a few times and I will miss it. I just think the Dozier will fit my needs better.

Dollar for dollar, the Dozier is worth a bit more but the other person is happy to trade a knife he is not using for a knife he is going to use. Can't beat that!

-Dean

JD Spydo
08-31-2005, 09:04 PM
I got to meet Mr. Dozier at the 2004 BLADE show. I got to look at his stuff and get aquainted with him. I have 2 of his custom hunter/folders I have on my want list. I have been told by a friend of mine who has 2 of his knives that his D-2 is some very, very tough and hard to sharpen blade steel. Which is why I have been trying to get the GREAT SPYDER FACTORY to make some special knives out of D-2. Hopefully they will maybe make some hunting knives out it someday.

But Bob Dozier's reputation is impecable. I am not much of a custom knife guy at all but his stuff along with John Greco & Phil Boguszewski are about the change my way of thinking. These guys ( especially Dozier) are true artists in their own rite. I have a fixed blade Hawkbill hand forged made by John Greco which has D-2 and it is a monster to sharpen. Even much worse than 440V ( which can drive you crazy if it is very dull) or even S30V or most other trendy blade steels. Bob Dozier knives are A-1 for sure ;) :spyder:

Jurphaas
09-01-2005, 10:08 AM
Hi - Bob Dozier Rocks Big Time. you will never go wrong with his knives! Go for them when ever you can. You'll be spoiled for the rest of your days!
Jurphaas.

johns
09-02-2005, 04:25 AM
That sounds like a good trade to me ! You're going to like that Pro Guide.
There's a workhorse folder for sale over at USN - wish I had a spare $550 lying around :)

CopilotATS-55
09-02-2005, 01:39 PM
i have his small game skinner very good :spyder:

Jimmy_Dean
09-09-2005, 08:38 AM
**UPDATE**

Got the Dozier a couple of days ago. Since I bought it used, it was just bellow shaving sharp so I figured it was time to see how hard it really is to sharpen D2. By the feel of it on a stone, it's definitly a hard steel but not impossible. Few licks on the medium DMT, few licks on the fine one and I have a toothy super agressive edge.

It's the first time I touch Micarta and it indeed feels like it could be slippery. We'll se about that later, when I get some real work done. The handle is very short, but it fills my medium hand perfectly. I can imagine someone with bigger mits finding it too small. The blade is a helthy 4.5" but it feels longer. A perfect "compromise" blade shape. Would be great as a hunting knife, a whittler or anything else reasonnable you can ask from a knife in the outdoors. It's the kind of knife I wish John Wayne was carrying in his movies :)

Funny thing is I traded a knife with an edge too thick to use outdoors, in my opinion(WP) for this knife with a super thin edge. It's a very high and deep hollow ground, it makes the knife almost straight-razor-like in cross-section. A very good cutter.

All in all I am very pleased with the knife. Fit and finish is great, D2 seems to be doind the job so far but haven't cut enough to really give a cood review on that.

Thanks for those who pushed me over the edge, it's a good knife!

-Dean

P.S. That's my knife in the sales thread but the picture ain't mine so sorry for not giving credit where it is due.

Jimd
09-10-2005, 10:11 PM
Looks like a great knife! I've heard nothing but the best about Bob Dozier and his knives from many people "in the know" about knives.

agony
09-11-2005, 09:13 PM
Great knife again.
Here's a couple other Doziers for your perusal:
http://www.fototime.com/{AB4D275A-E7E7-4502-8A4F-9B513063D3A4}/picture.JPG
L to R:
A DK-FHL large folding hunter, a KM-5 Bodyguard, and a KS-7 Wilderness--the big brother to the Pro Guide.

Mmmmm, yummy yellow Micarta.
http://www.fototime.com/{454BEC0C-4411-4E95-AFFA-11FDEA7E7B60}/picture.JPG

agony
09-11-2005, 09:14 PM
...ooops, and a Dozier Fighter:
http://www.fototime.com/{D029CA69-17AA-4DD5-AED8-07292BA4DAD9}/picture.JPG