PDA

View Full Version : snap-it pe?

11-14-2005, 02:14 PM
exactly how common(rare) is a snap-it pe in g2 steel? :confused:the one i found is missing it's box, but is mint. :confused:
how about a remote release in se aus 6(maybe it was 8)? :confused:
i value all your input. :)

The Deacon
11-14-2005, 02:25 PM
PE Snap Its in G2 are fairly uncommon, especially if they have black FRN handles with black Kraton inserts rather than red FRN handles with black Kraton inserts. The red FRN ones in AUS-8 are far more common both in PE and SE.

Remote Releases, in any configuration, are not terribly common, but of them the SE leaf blade in AUS-8A would be the most common. The SE Rescue blade version is EXTREMELY uncommon.

JD Spydo
11-14-2005, 03:44 PM
I have just recently aquired 2 C-26 Snap ITs in the EMT version with the Sheepsfoot blade. They do show up on Ebay every now and then; but try to find one :rolleyes: .

I had an AUS-8 Remote Release that I just recently traded to another Forum member. It was the only one of them I ever saw. With the exception of the one I lost out on Ebay yesterday ( C-30 Remote Release, orange handle, sheepsfoot blade) I have never seen any of them get any serious money unfortunately. But just wait>>> They'll get their turn

The Deacon
11-14-2005, 04:09 PM
Red PE Snap-It in G-2...

http://paulberetta.com/images/compare/snapit_comp.jpg

Black and Orange Snap-It EMTs in AUS-8 Note the extra large thumb hole on the orange one...

http://paulberetta.com/images/knives2/emt_snap_its.jpg

PE Remote Release in AUS-8A...

http://paulberetta.com/images/compare/remote_comp.jpg

And, for what it's worth, Sal has confirmed that a new version of the Remote Release will be produced and should be out next year.

11-14-2005, 04:41 PM
thanks guys, i appreciate the info. i'm always on the prowl for hard to find stuff. unfortunately, yesterday the snap-it and remote release lost out to the large pe wenger (see my other thread.) :)
thanks for the pics deacon!
ps: the snap-it is the black frn/kraton one.

rycen
11-14-2005, 05:57 PM
The SE Rescue blade version is EXTREMELY uncommon.

Paul
I hope that you are refering to the orange "EMT" rather than the black?

The Deacon
11-14-2005, 06:25 PM
Paul
I hope that you are refering to the orange "EMT" rather than the black?Frankly rycen, I have never seen a black "EMT" Remote Release and was not even aware they existed. Are you saying they do and are more common that the orange ones?

rycen
11-14-2005, 06:29 PM
Paul
Sorry I was refering to the snap it not the remote release.

CKE
11-14-2005, 07:12 PM
PE Remote Release....a hidden gem. That would be a great find. I have considered grinding the SE off of mine but that would be heathenous :eek: :D

Stevie Ray
11-15-2005, 03:39 AM
Amazing .... utterly amazing how interest in the Remote Release has taken off. I had several as little as 18 months or so ago and couldn't give them away on Ebay.

I can't say I had the super rare orange version though .. :D Those are just a bit hard to come by.

Senate
11-15-2005, 02:03 PM
the battle for the orange sheepfoot C-30 was pretty intense! thanks for the show guys ;)

The Deacon
11-15-2005, 05:35 PM
the battle for the orange sheepfoot C-30 was pretty intense! thanks for the show guys ;)Glad you enjoyed the show. :D

i.v
11-15-2005, 08:34 PM
i have a black FRN black kraton inserts PE G2 Snap-it. mint
i'm so happy with it, wonderful knife :D

death-bringah
11-16-2005, 12:20 AM
I was very interested to read in this thread:

http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18025&highlight=remote+release

…that the Remote Release would be returning, in VG10, no less. In addition to the steel upgrade, other redesigned features are mentioned.

The Remote was my 1st ever Spyderco, and the knife that got me into the whole “round hole; decent steel; high quality” Spyderco thing. My battered Remote is still 1 of my favs. (You never forget your 1st.)

So… :rolleyes: is it too early to see a pic of the NEW Remote Release?

11-16-2005, 09:32 AM
okay then out of curiosity what is the "fair market value" of a:
1- pe g2 snap it black frn/kraton(mint w/o box)?
2-remote release se mint w/box aus8?

11-17-2005, 09:10 AM
sorry to bug you guys again, but i am wondering what to pay for these two animals.
any and all info,as always, is much appreciated.
thanks. :)

i.v
11-17-2005, 01:19 PM
1 - mine is as discribed, got it from ebay for $32 (shipping included) but i may have been just lucky.

2 - i really don't know :D

11-17-2005, 03:04 PM
thanks i.v.
anyone else know? :confused:

Woody
11-17-2005, 06:36 PM
I have seen a few on E/Bay the last few weeks selling from $28-$40 bucks... Except for that orange one that went for like $250 something... :rolleyes:

Keep an eye out.... There out there... I bought two black Snap-it's SE here in town a few months back for $30each... :p

11-18-2005, 09:03 AM
thanks woody. i guess what you guys are saying is not to pay too much.
i appreciate it!
thanks. :)

Woody
11-18-2005, 04:53 PM
Depends on how bad you want it.... Heck I payed too much for a TOAD... But I wanted it.... :rolleyes: And now I have it... :D

The Deacon
11-18-2005, 05:14 PM
Perspective. At least as far as the leaf bladed versions of both knives go...

In 1994 the MSRP of the Snap-It was $56 and that of the Remote Release was $63. If you are looking for a Snap-It as a user, they are still available, brand new, in red FRN, from AG Russell for about $50. If you are looking at one of them, or a Remote Release, as a "collectable" then it becomes, as Woody said, a matter of how bad you want it (and to some extent whether you view your collection as a hobby to spend money on, or an investment to make money from). My observation is that, while both models show up occasionally on eBay, neither arouses much interest. This makes them a good buy but a poor investment. Unless something changes. Which, of course, it could do tomorrow. Or not.

11-18-2005, 05:21 PM
woody, point taken. :)
deacon, thanks man. as always you are helpful above and beyond the call of duty. :cool:

The Deacon
11-19-2005, 04:02 PM
...guess I'll just have to provide my own, as I surely earned a couple for the exchange below.

Paul
I hope that you are refering to the orange "EMT" rather than the black?
Frankly rycen, I have never seen a black "EMT" Remote Release and was not even aware they existed. Are you saying they do and are more common that the orange ones?

Paul
Sorry I was refering to the snap it not the remote release.

Even the appearance of certainty regarding any tidbit of Spyderco lore is an open invitation to http://paulberetta.com/images/ani_gifs/footinmouth.gif http://paulberetta.com/images/ani_gifs/footinmouth.gif http://paulberetta.com/images/ani_gifs/footinmouth.gif

So naturally, a couple days later, a very good friend sends me the number of this eBay auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6578637786) with the predictable result. :o :D :D

spydercojoe
11-19-2005, 04:15 PM
Just got back from a gun show in Illinois and traded for a C26PBK that is a snap it, black with a plain edge. It has Aus 8 A steel. I didnt realize there was one. anyone know if this also is rare? We, our Boy Scout troop first tested the snap its back I think it was in 1995 or 96 and I published an article in knives illustrated called "Spyders on the Water" about our trip to the boundry waters. About a year later partially thanks to our Scouts suggetions they came out with the remote release, to put the clip on the other end.
Spyderco is a great company-- they support Scouting in a very humble way and they listen to young people. Nice combo. Thanks again to all at Spyderco. Joe

The Deacon
11-19-2005, 04:49 PM
Just got back from a gun show in Illinois and traded for a C26PBK that is a snap it, black with a plain edge. It has Aus 8 A steel. I didnt realize there was one. anyone know if this also is rare? We, our Boy Scout troop first tested the snap its back I think it was in 1995 or 96 and I published an article in knives illustrated called "Spyders on the Water" about our trip to the boundry waters. About a year later partially thanks to our Scouts suggetions they came out with the remote release, to put the clip on the other end.
Spyderco is a great company-- they support Scouting in a very humble way and they listen to young people. Nice combo. Thanks again to all at Spyderco. JoeJoe, thanks for an interesting bit of Spyder-lore, and one more example of what makes :spyder: a class act.

Your question brings this thread full circle, as this the black PE C26 is one of the two knives originally inquired about. I think the most accurate answer is that they are not so much rare as just one of those knives that were purchased primarily by people who actually use them, rather than by collectors as "trading stock", so they don't show up with great frequency on the "secondary market". If you think about it a bit, that says more and better about a design than a bunch of ten year old pristine specimens slowly migrating from one display case to another.