PDA

View Full Version : Viele DROOL knife

Jim Malone
01-14-2006, 10:32 AM
Look what someone found on bladeforums. I would love :spyder: to consider making a production version of the Viele knife. i would drop the ivory for G10 or CF

drooooool

catamount
01-14-2006, 10:39 AM
I was just looking at that. Definitely want a :spyder: version.

Axlis
01-14-2006, 10:46 AM
LOVE THE BALL LOCK! That would be a sweet edition to the Spyderco lineup for sure :cool:

spydutch
01-14-2006, 11:13 AM
Veeery nice :cool:

Put some G10 on the handle and make the blade serrated and the knife is mine :D

smcfalls13
01-14-2006, 11:21 AM
Isn't the ball lock patented? :confused:

Then again, Viele has done stuff with Spyderco in the past, so I guess it's safe to assume he's been licensed the rights.

The Deacon
01-14-2006, 12:25 PM
I beleive when this knife first appeared, it was mentioned that the ball lock, as well as the round hole, were used by Mr. Viele under license.

It would certainly make an interesting collaboration. Have to wonder if a wharncliffe version would be feasible.
I'm not generally a fan of partial scales without a bolster, but will concede that in the case of a ball lock, bolsters would probably push the weight unacceptably high. As for the scales, since they seem to be screw mounted, if not ivory, then I'd favor G-10, since it's way cheaper than CF and either one would just be winding up in my trash.

TurnerIII
01-14-2006, 12:34 PM
Himmm - interesting. Kind of a "stretch" version of the Poliwog :)

This would be great in G10. :D :spyder: :D

Hannibal Lecter
01-14-2006, 01:11 PM
My Dear Deacon,

Have to wonder if a wharncliffe version would be feasible.

I would think so given the design. That has to be one of the nicest knives I have seen in quite a while. Just amazing. Makes me want to test drive a Spyderco Viele II...

--------
Hannibal

Tim8557
01-14-2006, 01:22 PM
I have a Spyderco Viele II which is Micarta on one side, G10 on the other. Very nice knife, BUT it is a liner lock, not a ball lock.

I just purchased the D'Allaria Rescue and it is a ball lock. I have to admit that I'm not too impressed with Spydie's (or whomever) ball lock. It seems sort of cumbersome to me, but then I have a number of BM Axis locks which I much prefer (lock, not necessarily the knife).

thom lambert
01-14-2006, 01:25 PM
That is stunning....sort of a poliwog, Native cross. Silver twill G10 would look nice on that knife.

Crafft
01-14-2006, 01:33 PM
Great knife! I'd certainly buy one if Spyderco chooses to make one. The urge for a Poliwogx2 is gone if this one ever reaches production :D

The Deacon
01-14-2006, 01:43 PM
I have a Spyderco Viele II which is Micarta on one side, G10 on the other. Very nice knife, BUT it is a liner lock, not a ball lock.

I just purchased the D'Allaria Rescue and it is a ball lock. I have to admit that I'm not too impressed with Spydie's (or whomever) ball lock. It seems sort of cumbersome to me, but then I have a number of BM Axis locks which I much prefer (lock, not necessarily the knife).Tim, I can only say that I find the latest incarnations of the ball lock, the Poliwog and D'Allara DP very easy to operate. IMHO they are a major improvement over the "first generation" used in the Dodo, D'Allara Rescue and WTC knives, all of which are pretty much impossible for me to close without assistance. I am confident that if this Viele ever were to become collaboration model, it would incorporate those improvements, and probably build on them.

Chris_H
01-14-2006, 02:33 PM
I actually like the white scales. I would prefer Spyderco go with linen or paper micarta in white.

Mr Blonde
01-14-2006, 02:42 PM
Indeed a drool-knife! Very nice blend of looks and functional ergos.

Wouter

dialex
01-14-2006, 02:50 PM
IIRC it is a Liong Mah design, manufactured by H. Viele. It was called "The Push" (or something), Samo posted it here some time ago :)
Outstanding, both the design and the execution.

Sonicboy
01-16-2006, 03:34 PM
jim malone, RESPECT!!!

ront
01-16-2006, 03:42 PM
That knife is a beauty!! I would be very happy with one in my pocket!! I like the Ball Lock very much on my D'Allara DP.

Ron

raven
01-16-2006, 04:05 PM
It is a very impressive knife. If it ever "Comes To Be", it will most definately be in this :spyder: collection.

God Bless :)

-raven-

Civilian
01-16-2006, 04:08 PM
IMHO they are a major improvement over the "first generation" used in the Dodo, D'Allara Rescue and WTC knives, all of which are pretty much impossible for me to close without assistance.
Weird I have never had a proble opening or closing either with 1 hand.

That Veil looks like it would work great.