PDA

View Full Version : Combat Smatchet

Dr. Snubnose
06-11-2006, 12:50 AM
A belated birthday present arrived in the mail for me today from knifebro and friend Daywalker. It's a monster knife from Boker called the Combat Smatchet, a Final Edition from a limited 500 pieces. It is a magnificent double edge weapon first designed for the brits in WWII by W. Fairbain, however Boker seems to have produced this classic in it's finest appearance, shape, fit and function that I have seen to date. I know you are gonna want to see a pic of this one...so I took one with the camera phone (not great quality) but you'll get the idea....Thanks to Chad for his kindness...I will pester Ghostrider one more time to help me post a pic........Doc :D
Some additional info:
A/F Combat Smatchet

Blade Steel 420

Rc Hardness 58

Blade Length 10"

Length Overall 16"

Blade Thickness 3/16"

Weight, knife 21.0 oz

Weight, Sheath 9.8 oz

Made In Germany

spydutch
06-11-2006, 02:19 AM
Congrats and enjoy Doc :cool:

I'm anxious to see the picture ;)

smcfalls13
06-11-2006, 02:28 AM
I think I've seen pics of this one somewhere, and it's pretty wicked looking. Can't wait to see it.

The Deacon
06-11-2006, 06:47 AM
Well Doc, appears we have something in common beside our love of :spyder:s. :D As it happens, I too am fortunate to have Chad as a friend, and received a similar gift in the mail the other day. In my case, he even went so far as to have the good folks at Boker on two continents hunt up #043/500, so it would match my CC #d Spydies! Though that was a very cool gesture. :D Finally had enough sun here this morning to make picture taking possible. So, until Ghostrider gets your photos up, here are a few of mine...

Knife and sheath...

http://paulberetta.com/images/combat_smatchet/cs800.jpg

Tighter shot of blade...

http://paulberetta.com/images/combat_smatchet/csb800.jpg

Still tighter one of engraving detail...

http://paulberetta.com/images/combat_smatchet/cs_eng.jpg

And, finally, to give folks an idea how massive this puppy really is, a shot of it with my Temperance FB. Took a lot of coaxing to get the Temperance out from under the stove. It's been feeling inadequate and hiding since the Smatchet showed up. :D

http://paulberetta.com/images/combat_smatchet/cs_tfb.jpg

Terry Trahan
06-11-2006, 07:39 AM
I'm glad that you got the Smatchets gentlemen.
Cool gesture by Chad on that one, as they are great gifts.

Piet.S
06-11-2006, 08:28 AM
Wonderful gesture. Now this opens up a whole new collecting theme, doesn't it?
First of the line would be the Fairbairn Sykes first pattern.

Dr. Snubnose
06-11-2006, 09:25 AM
Deacon, Congrats on your 043 Smatchet, Thanks for posting the pics....they are so much better than any pics I could take with my cell phone camera...So everybody my Smatchet looks exactly like Deacon's cept I have a different number..Deacon I love that shot with the Temperance....it says it all!....Doc :D

WORKER#9
06-11-2006, 10:17 AM
NICE SMATCHET!! Everybody needs a Smatchet! :p

ghostrider
06-11-2006, 10:25 AM
Congrats to both of you. Just one more example of why DW is such a great guy.

Here's Docs pic.

Mr Blonde
06-11-2006, 12:56 PM
Now you're talking! The Combat Smatchet, aka the Devil's Pancake Flipper, must be the coolest edged weapon on the planet! :D

Excellent gifts, cool gesture DW!

Wouter

zenheretic
06-11-2006, 10:59 PM
Alas! I fear I have dropped my combat smatchet into the water and it has shrunken! For scale I used the Impala, which is the approx. size of the Police model and much smaller than a Temperance. Dang I need to get a real sized one...love da Smatchet.
http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/7120/imgp2061medium8yv.jpg

Dr. Snubnose
06-11-2006, 11:04 PM
Zen, That's not a Smatchet.....that's just a Smatch.....Doc :p

zenheretic
06-11-2006, 11:10 PM
Zen, That's not a Smatchet.....that's just a Smatch.....Doc :p
:eek: :( :o yEAH The little Smatch kinda looses all the benefits of a real Smatchet and likely incurs all the penalties. It is not heavy enough for efficient chopping strokes and is really just silly wide for stabbing strokes. I think is just really silly...so why did I buy it? :confused:

ghostrider
06-11-2006, 11:23 PM
:eek: :( :o yEAH The little Smatch kinda looses all the benefits of a real Smatchet and likely incurs all the penalties. It is not heavy enough for efficient chopping strokes and is really just silly wide for stabbing strokes. I think is just really silly...so why did I buy it? :confused:
Because you absolultly, positively had to have one. :p :D It was such a necessity that you had no choice but to make the purchase.

How's that for rationalization?

zenheretic
06-11-2006, 11:36 PM
Because you absolultly, positively had to have one. :p :D It was such a necessity that you had no choice but to make the purchase.

How's that for rationalization?
Hey that sounds reasonable.

I fear I'm suffering from Smatchet envy though. :p

smcfalls13
06-11-2006, 11:47 PM
Hey Doc, given the dimensions of that behemoth of a blade, it looks like it would pretty nicely balanced for throwing. ;)

Have you tried THAT yet? :cool:

zenheretic
06-12-2006, 12:24 AM
Now I remember why I bought the mini Smatch. I love AF blades!
http://img416.imageshack.us/img416/4679/imgp1213medium3ak.jpg

Dr. Snubnose
06-12-2006, 12:28 AM
Hey Doc, given the dimensions of that behemoth of a blade, it looks like it would pretty nicely balanced for throwing. ;)

Have you tried THAT yet? :cool:

Smc, Naw it's too nice to throw...but I'll be happy chasing neighborhood cats with it :eek: ...Doc :D

06-12-2006, 03:58 AM
Cool smatchets guys, I believe you will enjoy it, all of you :cool: :D

Well Doc, so can we all look forward for an in-depth-review?!
Low profile carry options of that one LOL! ;)

stonyman
06-12-2006, 09:38 AM
Congrats, Doc and Deacon. Daywalker, what a tremendous act of kindness to give arguably one of the best combat blades period. Those pics have my mouth watering. That smatchet is a monster. Doc will a review be forthcoming?

para-force
06-12-2006, 12:29 PM
Cool looking smatchets guys. I would hate to be on the receiving end of one of those things, they look absolutely vicious.

Senate
06-12-2006, 04:40 PM
that reminds me I've never decided myself to buy the Al Mar version when I had the chance and now they're worth a big pile of cash...

Dr. Snubnose
06-12-2006, 07:40 PM
[QUOTE=stonyman Doc will a review be forthcoming?[/QUOTE]
If you insist......Doc :D

pmel018
06-12-2006, 08:41 PM
Hi Guys
have a look at Fairbairns book "Get Tough" (also called All in Fighting) for correct review technique. 1 Drive well into stomach
2 'Sabre cut' to right-low of neck
3 Cut to left-lowof neck
4 Smash up with pommel, under chin
5 Smash down with pommel into face
6 'Sabre cut' to left arm or wrist
7 'sabre cut' to right arm or wrist
Ouch!!!!!
Phil

peacefuljeffrey
06-12-2006, 09:25 PM
It looks like that thing would be used by a fraternity to paddle pledges! :p

-Jeffrey

zenheretic
06-13-2006, 12:45 AM
It looks like that thing would be used by a fraternity to paddle pledges! :p

-Jeffrey
:eek: Oh I hope they don't slip or the pledge would have to start pledging a sorority. :D