PDA

View Full Version : Damascus Leek

dedguy
09-02-2007, 09:10 AM
I just ordered one of the bad boys. Along with a couple Opinels.

http://dedguy.net/images/junk/Picture048.jpg

Am planning on swapping the blade out on my high polished G-10 Leek (hope that's possible) should make for a very handsome combination I would think.

Capt. Carl
09-02-2007, 03:05 PM
That is very cool looking. The handles should be g-10!

CopilotATS-55
09-02-2007, 07:11 PM
Awesome! perfect G-10 canidate ;)

flyguy
09-02-2007, 07:57 PM
Very cool blade. However, I don't like the blade shape or handle...

dedguy
09-02-2007, 08:03 PM
To each his own. I'm a big fan of Ken Onion's designs and really dig the Leek in particular. I like slim simple lines on a knife. In contrast my favorite Spyderco is probably the Captain as I also really dig square blunt blades. REALLY looking forward to the Razel folder.

flyguy
09-02-2007, 08:23 PM
To each his own. I'm a big fan of Ken Onion's designs and really dig the Leek in particular. I like slim simple lines on a knife. In contrast my favorite Spyderco is probably the Captain as I also really dig square blunt blades. REALLY looking forward to the Razel folder.

I like some of Ken Onion's designs, and to be honest... I'm not sure why I don't like the handle. Not sure what I would change. Maybe I'd like it if I held one.

Didn't mean to be negative in your post. Please do post a couple of pics when you get it. Perhaps it looks better in natural light or in person.

dedguy
09-02-2007, 09:58 PM
I'm not big on the "Kershaw" branding on the handle, which is why I plan on attempting to swap the blade on my glossy g-10 s30v Leek with this one.

jujigatame
09-03-2007, 10:28 AM
I always loved the Leek design and it's nice to see Kershaw offering the different handles and blades for it.

dedguy
09-03-2007, 10:37 AM
It's very reasonbly priced too. Got mine for less than $80. Less than $100 for a Damascus blade as far as I know is unheard of.

dialex
09-03-2007, 04:21 PM
Congratulations and enjoy your new toy. Kershaw makes fine knives too. Oddly enough, I'm not very fond of the Leek, although I like very much the Scallion or the Chive. :confused:

dedguy
09-03-2007, 05:56 PM
Heh, funny you say that. I really like the Leek but am not too fond of the Scallion or Chive.

jaislandboy
09-03-2007, 07:25 PM
alright dedguy, would love to see your pix of this one when it arrives ... :cool:
i also prefer the Leek over the Chive/Scallion....:rolleyes: I've got a Ti-zdp Leek and a "rough" G10 S30v Leek.... but the first AO Kershaw I played around with (my buddy's Walmart Scallion) left a 2 cm bite on my palm upon opening the blade.....so i naturally gravitated to the larger Leek sizes... ;)
Toyz for boyz....like Dialex says.... :p

dedguy
09-03-2007, 07:59 PM
Yeah... I tried to open my Leek with the thumbstud... not a good idea. The blade popped open but my thumb was still trying to push up on the thumbstud which was suddenly not there and insted I pushed my thumb into the edge and gave myself a nasty gash.

David Lowry
09-03-2007, 08:08 PM
Yeah... I tried to open my Leek with the thumbstud... not a good idea. The blade popped open but my thumb was still trying to push up on the thumbstud which was suddenly not there and insted I pushed my thumb into the edge and gave myself a nasty gash.

That is what happens to me any time I try to open an assisted opening knife. It seems no matter what I do it happens.

I no longer own anything that is AO. If I were to ever buy AO again, it will always have to have a flipper. Thumbstuds just don't do it for me.;)

The Leek is a great knife.

dedguy
09-03-2007, 09:03 PM
Yeah I can't imagine trying to use an AO daily without a flipper. I wouldn't be able to draw anymore, I'd get blood all over the paper.

Dr. Snubnose
09-04-2007, 12:19 AM
Cool Looking Leek for sure....I like all of Ken's designs, I have all of them...don't carry any but still I like em, love my Rainbow Chive and the Collaboration with Centofante is another cool one....Doc:D

Capt. Carl
09-04-2007, 08:12 PM
A tip I remember after experiment with my long gone leek is that I used my nail against the thumbstud. This kept my thumb from sticking to the blade and slowing it down/ leading my thumb into the blade. I thought the leek was a very nice knife. I had the rainbow one. Kershaw's warranty is really one of the best I have ever dealt with and the people that work there are some of the nicest!