PDA

View Full Version : Best sub 3 inch tactical folders...

RJNC
06-29-2009, 04:50 PM
What are some of the best sub three inch closed tactical (for lack of a better word) folders out there? I'd say the Benchmade Benchmite is defintely in the group.

aebfroman
06-29-2009, 05:46 PM
subclaw

ousanas
06-29-2009, 09:19 PM
any of the CLB subcomm series (excepting the rescomm of course), also the Lava. Daywalker knows how to make a good sub 3 inch tactical knife.

Clawhammer
06-29-2009, 09:36 PM
Boker Subcom?!

RJNC
06-30-2009, 08:06 AM
Yeah I knew the subcom would get alot of replies. He really made the handle fit perfect in your hand.

Billy
06-30-2009, 08:17 AM
My three favorites in order are:
CLB Subclaw
CLB Wharcom
CLB/Spyderco Lava

The lava loses out only slightly because of the heavy, slippery all SS handle. If/when Spyderco sees fit to make a G-10 or FRN handle for the Lava, it might very well climb to the top of my list.

KaliGman
06-30-2009, 10:30 AM
The Emerson CQC-14 "Snubby" and the Emerson Combat Karambit are two of the best currently manufactured. I can heartily endorse these two for "serious social purposes."

The Cherusker-Messer Tusok (Bram Frank design) is also sub-3 inch and could be worth a look.

The various Boker Subcoms are nice little knives, but they have not proven to be reliable in regard to accessing the tool and deploying the blade under stress and with sufficient speed to utilize in a combat environment (Albo Kali Silat testing protocols). I look at these as being similar to a deep concealment or ankle gun--effective once deployed, but slow to access and, in general, not to be carried as a primary defensive arm.

The Lava is a great choice, but should be purchased soon---I think they are going to be getting hard to find soon.

By the way, I went by "less than 3 inch" blade length rather than "less than 3 inch when closed." The blade length is often the determination as to legality, while the length closed only has an impact on certain forms of carry or concealment.

Blerv
06-30-2009, 11:45 AM
If your talking a blade in the 1.5-2" range the Subcom series is very impressive. They fit in the small pocket in most blue jeans. The Subclaw is a serious slasher but definitely more a defensive fighter than something tactical. The Lava has a much better handle for fighting (as KaliGman pointed out)and is a little more sheeple friendly than some of the Bokers. I would put the Poliwog G10 there with the Lava but it's prob harder to deploy than any of the above mentioned knives, albeit, great in the hand when ready to go.

If your talking 2.5-3" range the Boker Trance is a great fighter for about $25. I like the Hyper as well (however, the Trance's "flipper" acts as a nice guard against blade closings and prob has better ergos). They also have low-ride clips in the pocket. The smaller Byrds would work nicely in this range as well, or say a Sog Flash 1/Kershaw Leek or Skallion if you like Assisted Openers.

You can't go wrong with a Delica/Cento4 but it's right on that 3" range and they are a tad more pricey. The Rookie has a 3" blade but is quite a smaller knife (handle length/width) and easier to clip away and forget about. It also has a very serious point if that's an interest.

I think the Benchmite is probably a great knife but doesn't seem like a quick deployer due to lack of thumbstud/hole. I could be completely wrong on this though as I have never handled one.

Sorry for the flurry of ideas. Depending on price range and size the "3 inch or smaller tactical" is a pretty broad category. If your thinking 2" or under hidaway/throw-away knife it's going to look different than something with a decent blade and handle to grab onto.

RJNC
06-30-2009, 01:16 PM
I'll have to check out those knives KaliGman.

RJNC
06-30-2009, 01:29 PM
Yeah I was thinking more hideaway Blerv, and I only collect sub 3 inch knives so that was kind of my thinking too. Though I made an exception for the Kiwi 'cause it feels so good in the hand. As far as tiny knives, the Keycom really is a good fit in the hand and is a tiny little knife. I like the Subclaw too, it feels so wicked!

Dr. Snubnose
06-30-2009, 11:56 PM
Most sub 3" folding tactical knives are very hard to deploy under a lot of stress... A sub 3" fixed blade would be the way to go...and there exists quite a few good ones out there....Timberline Mini Pit Bull, Perrin LaGriffe, Boker Edit, even CS's new Kiridashi (which is more of a small wharnie than kiridashi) Boker Subcom FB, Hak, Kabar Last Ditch , S&W HRT, CRKT Bear Claw, Spyderco Swick,etc etc etc...Most of these knives are smaller or equal in size to most 3" folders....Doc:D

Blerv
07-01-2009, 11:47 AM
As mentioned by Dr. Snubnose, fumbling for a little pocket razor is difficult.
Sometimes it's a chore just getting it out for opening envelopes.

If you habitually wear jackets, the easiest is prob to put it in your side pocket. I walk around with my hands in my pockets habitually and you can palm a Subclaw (or whatever) without looking suspicious.

If you aren't against fixed blades than that's a much better idea especially from a belt/pocket carry system.

Superfuzz
07-01-2009, 06:48 PM
Have to agree with Dr. Snubnose...

In a high-stress situation...a smaller fixed blade will not only be more viable but easier to get into service and more importantly, maintain control/possession of. I like the HAK, LaGriffe, and Swick...but there are many options for this type of duty.

KaliGman
07-02-2009, 03:18 PM
As mentioned by Dr. Snubnose, fumbling for a little pocket razor is difficult.
Sometimes it's a chore just getting it out for opening envelopes.

If you habitually wear jackets, the easiest is prob to put it in your side pocket. I walk around with my hands in my pockets habitually and you can palm a Subclaw (or whatever) without looking suspicious.

If you aren't against fixed blades than that's a much better idea especially from a belt/pocket carry system.

You might want to see how easy it is to get your hand out of your pocket in time to deal with an unexpected punch or strike. In drills, many people have found that, with their hand in a jacket pocket, they cannot remove the hand to parry or block the attack in time. Of course, you can use three dimensional rotation of the shoulder and elbow and deflect with the elbow/forearm while the hand is still in the pocket, but this is for pretty advanced and/or flexible fighters. Trying to gain distance with footwork is a good idea, but, many times I have seen people get all tangled up when trying to avoid a strike with their hands in their pockets, and some of them were tangled enough to end up on their butt on the ground, without even being hit. You can use the jacket to tie up and trap your opponent's attacks, but it takes quite a bit of practice:

http://www.albokalisilat.org/improvised2.html

With training, you can reliably pull some of this stuff off under hard "sparring" pressure, though. Sometimes knives and firearms end up getting caught in pocket linings as well, making the draw problematic at best.

The best thing to do is practice, under pressure, with your preferred carry methods and tools, see what works and what does not, then modify what you do accordingly.

Take care and train hard,

Jon

RJNC
07-02-2009, 03:37 PM
My favorite pocket clip carry knife is the Wayne Goddard full-size FRN. I can flick it open with the flick of my wrist. I've practiced opening it while falling, and jumping, stuff like that. It's a great knife, the only large one I ever carry or collect actually.