Official Sliverax Discussion Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Re: Official Sliverax Discussion Thread

Post by Sharp Guy »

joq21 wrote:My blade drops freely. It’s centered. And no blade play. But still these bearings just feel gravely. I guess it’s just different....
I'm not sure I'd describe them as feeling "gravely" but I do feel a very slight bumpiness when I open the blade slowly. I've been comparing the Sliverax to few of my other knives (Mantra, Sage 5, Paras, etc) and they all feel smoother, especially the Mantra. The Sliverax is plenty smooth too but not quite as smooth as the others. It might improve with a good cleaning and through use but I'm still trying to decide if this one's a keeper for me.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Nate

Post by Nate »

Couple of comparison shots:

:spyder:
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

Sharp Guy wrote:
joq21 wrote:My blade drops freely. It’s centered. And no blade play. But still these bearings just feel gravely. I guess it’s just different....
I'm not sure I'd describe them as feeling "gravely" but I do feel a very slight bumpiness when I open the blade slowly. I've been comparing the Sliverax to few of my other knives (Mantra, Sage 5, Paras, etc) and they all feel smoother, especially the Mantra. The Sliverax is plenty smooth too but not quite as smooth as the others. It might improve with a good cleaning and through use but I'm still trying to decide if this one's a keeper for me.
I had the same thing with my Mantra but I discovered it was just a bit of grit on the detent track and the bumpiness was the detent ball moving over it. I cleaned the track and added some oil and it was smooth. Could be something similar.
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

I lubed the pivot on mine and loosened the screw ever so slightly. She is now free dropping and smooth as glass, while remaining perfectly centered. Very happy with her now! :D
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Slumblor wrote:I had the same thing with my Mantra but I discovered it was just a bit of grit on the detent track and the bumpiness was the detent ball moving over it. I cleaned the track and added some oil and it was smooth. Could be something similar.
I've experienced what you're referring to and I'm sure this is not the same. I've been messing around with the knife since my last post and I actually feel the very slight bumpiness/vibration when I push the lock bar open and swing the blade back and forth. It really doesn't bother me and it's certainly not effecting performance. I was just stating my observations in response to joq21's post.

I really like this knife and I'm not disatisfied with it in any way. I think it's a well thought out and unique design. The only reason I've been wondering if I should keep it is because I typically prefer to carry smaller knives. I already have several knives with 3.5" blades and they don't see very much pocket time. I basically purchased this one out of curiosity more than anything.

Still playing with knife as I wrote this. Who am I kidding? This one's definitely a keeper! If I feel the need to thin the herd I'll get rid of something else.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The feeling you guys are talking about is from the bearings rolling over the machine lines on the tang. This will smooth out with use once the bearings wear into the tang. If you're OCD about it, get something to stick in between the liner and lock tab to hold the lock open and sit and watch a movie or something while free swinging the blade back and forth. You can speed it up a little my tightening the pivot just slightly but then you'll have to work the blade by hand. Don't over tighten it though or you could put a dent in the liner.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
joq21

Post by joq21 »

Don’t get me wrong it is smooth. Just different. I did break it down and clean/lube and that did help. When I swing the blade closed or let it free swing it just feels different. Gravely is the best word I can think of but probably a bit to harsh. It’s like my para feels like a ball rolling on a gym floor and the sliver feels like a ball rolling on an outdoor court.
joq21

Post by joq21 »

It’s weird cause I thought bearings would make even smoother than the para. Like my ZT 0450 type of smooth.

I can see the bearings sort of wabble when I open it slow and watch them, particularly on one side. Wonder if that’s normal?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

joq21 wrote:It’s weird cause I thought bearings would make even smoother than the para. Like my ZT 0450 type of smooth.

I can see the bearings sort of wabble when I open it slow and watch them, particularly on one side. Wonder if that’s normal?

I've noticed the cage around the bearings will move. I don't think this effects anything, they only keep the bearings from going everywhere when you take the knife apart. On mine I can take a toothpick and move the bronze part side to side around the bearings.
~David
Docmiller

Post by Docmiller »

I agree, the bearings look almost..... loose. I would guess some other knives that have bearings allow the cage to shift slightly but that would seem to me to cause some binding, even if very minor. That is what it seems to me as mine falls freely until about 60 percent closed when it seems to hit a point of some friction (enough to stop the free swing). As an aside, I have opened it, cleaned and lubed it, as well as remove the flipper tab (didn't like it touching my finger in the compression lock while closing). We will see if it smooths out over time.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Docmiller wrote:I agree, the bearings look almost..... loose. I would guess some other knives that have bearings allow the cage to shift slightly but that would seem to me to cause some binding, even if very minor. That is what it seems to me as mine falls freely until about 60 percent closed when it seems to hit a point of some friction (enough to stop the free swing). As an aside, I have opened it, cleaned and lubed it, as well as remove the flipper tab (didn't like it touching my finger in the compression lock while closing). We will see if it smooths out over time.
Welcome to the forum Docmiller, can you post a picture of yours de-flippered.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Docmiller

Post by Docmiller »

Docmiller

Post by Docmiller »

Dang it.... how did I mess up that link. I will post more pictures of it once I learn to Internet.
vivi

Post by vivi »

:unicorn
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

I wasn't so excited to come home and open up my new Spydie only to realize it's Columbus Day! AAAAGGHHHHH!!! I'll have to wait one more day for the :spyder: !
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

hambone56rx wrote:I wasn't so excited to come home and open up my new Spydie only to realize it's Columbus Day! AAAAGGHHHHH!!! I'll have to wait one more day for the :spyder: !
Haha! Bummer! Same thing happened to me except I'm waiting on a scope for one of my rifles.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've been carrying mine since I got it. Yesterday we got some rain so it saw quite a lot of moisture, and developed a bit of rust but oddly enough only on the engraved lettering on the presentation side of the blade and nowhere else. I think I'll have a video up tomorrow with some thoughts on it.
~David
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

Evil D wrote:I've been carrying mine since I got it. Yesterday we got some rain so it saw quite a lot of moisture, and developed a bit of rust but oddly enough only on the engraved lettering on the presentation side of the blade and nowhere else. I think I'll have a video up tomorrow with some thoughts on it.
Looking forward to the video and a better picture of what it looks like without the flipper. Just subscribed to your channel! :)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:I've been carrying mine since I got it. Yesterday we got some rain so it saw quite a lot of moisture, and developed a bit of rust but oddly enough only on the engraved lettering on the presentation side of the blade and nowhere else. I think I'll have a video up tomorrow with some thoughts on it.
Can you show how it sits in your hand in different grips? Pretty sure we both have big hands so it'd give me an idea what to expect. Closest store that stocks them is two states away, and it looks like its right on the edge of being too small for me.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

hambone56rx wrote:
Looking forward to the video and a better picture of what it looks like without the flipper. Just subscribed to your channel! :)
Thanks man! I'm not exactly subscription worthy, I just make videos to share my thoughts here on the forum. It's a little easier than text and still pics sometimes.

Vivi wrote: Can you show how it sits in your hand in different grips? Pretty sure we both have big hands so it'd give me an idea what to expect. Closest store that stocks them is two states away, and it looks like its right on the edge of being too small for me.

Will do. It's an interesting grip shape for sure. It's sort of like holding a Yojimbo 2 in reverse grip. The shape provides a really secure grip without the need for tacticool jimping and finger grooves all over the place.
~David