Chaparral Lightweight - thoughts and pics

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Nate

Re: Chaparral Lightweight - thoughts and pics

Post by Nate »

Another thanks for the write-up! The detail pics of the frn texturing and thickness vs. the Native were especially helpful.
:spyder:
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Great write up! Thanks for sharing it.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-28-2024 Instagram
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Excellent review. I just received mine recently and have the exact same feelings. The only knock on the knife is the disengagement of the lock as that bar digs into the finger more deeply than other Spyderco lockbacks I own - I'm sure it's a combination of the width of the bar and the strength of the spring. Other than that, it's excellent and I look forward to testing out some XHP. :)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I had to sand lightly the lock bar edges on my carbon fibre Chap. It's too sharp and narrow. Now it's fine.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Uke

Post by Uke »

Thanks everyone for the kind words and feedback :) Makes the time spent well worth it when people get something out of it!
abbazaba wrote:Awesome review! Please do more :)
If you search my old posts you should be able to find a bunch of reviews I did a few years back. I posted the Native 5, Roadie, Caly 3, Calypso, Gayle Bradley Air, Street Beat, Bradley Folder and the Manix 2 LW if any of those interest you. I do hope to post some more in the future but its all funds allowing I'm afraid. Financial priorities have shifted over the years! I am currently trying to squirrel away the funds for a Stretch 2 Lightweight (as that seems the next logical step up in my current FRN/backlock/choil size progression!) so hopefully I'll end up posting a review of that down the road.
hoimin wrote:This is what I want all reviews to be like, even though I know most people won’t have the time to put in this level of effort. Great job, Uke!
Probably the nicest compliment I've had on a review :) Thanks so much!
foofie wrote:Thanks - very nicely done. The relief pictures of the texturing add quite a bit.
Yeah, they're not the most exciting photos but I really wanted to include them as I was surprised at just how different the depth is compared to the pattern on the other lightweights.
elena86 wrote:Nicely done ! Hey Uke, do you have an Urban ? I'd like to see a comparison between this one and the grey k390 Urban :spyder: When I choke on the Chaparral my thumb doesn't feel as confortable and secure as on the higher thumb ramp of the Urban. Also, being so thin, the Chapie has the tendency to rotate when I use a gorilla grip for harder work.Other than that, it's a nice little folder and I suspect the frn variant will be most popular. Mine is on the way ! Can't wait :spyder:
I don't have an Urban anymore I'm afraid. Sorry about that! The thumb ramp on the Urban is indeed much more pronounced though. The best I can do is blend an old Urban pic I have together with an image of the Chap, lining up the Natives in each photo for scale...

...a substantial difference there on the thumb ramp.
olywa wrote:Thanks for your outstanding review Uke, I can't wait to get mine in hand.

I noticed that you like the solid lock-up on your Native 5 LW (so do I!). If you ever get the urge for a larger backlock Spydie, try out the Manix 2 Backlock. Carries it to a whole nother level.
Actually I do have the urge for a larger backlock Spydie. I really like the idea of a backlock Manix but I'm sticking to FRN these days for affordability. If we end up seeing a lightweight version of the current G10 model I'll be very interested. For now I'm thinking a Stretch 2 Lightweight might be the way forward.
D1omedes wrote:Excellent review. I just received mine recently and have the exact same feelings. The only knock on the knife is the disengagement of the lock as that bar digs into the finger more deeply than other Spyderco lockbacks I own - I'm sure it's a combination of the width of the bar and the strength of the spring. Other than that, it's excellent and I look forward to testing out some XHP. :)
Yeah, that's my only real gripe. Sal did mention in another thread that these break in over time so I'm going to see how it feels after some more use.
Jazz wrote:I had to sand lightly the lock bar edges on my carbon fibre Chap. It's too sharp and narrow. Now it's fine.
That's good to know, thanks. I'll see if it gets any easier on the fingers after a bit more use and if not I might give this a try.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

D1omedes wrote:The only knock on the knife is the disengagement of the lock as that bar digs into the finger more deeply than other Spyderco lockbacks I own - I'm sure it's a combination of the width of the bar and the strength of the spring.
I adjusted the spring tension by sliding the spring out of the slot in the backspacer. I only had to move it a small amount and it made the knife much more comfortable to operate. You can see how far I moved it in the pic shown in the link below. The spring was originally all the way in the slot.

viewtopic.php?p=1191817#p1191817
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Thank you for posting. Your review and pictures are excellent. I will be reading the previous ones you mentioned, and looking forward to future ones you may do.
BelgiumRofls

Post by BelgiumRofls »

Excellent. I can only resist the temptation to buy for so long.
Uke wrote: the blade has that dull 'thuck' as it snaps back into the handle, as opposed to the sharp hollow 'snick' of the other FRN lightweights.
Sound is an underrated quality in reviews :p
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

Great review!
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

I'll keep that sharp unlock bar mechanism. I haven't tried it, but I bet it works well with a fire rod.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

NIce write-up!
I got mine in the mail yesterday and immediately put it in my pocket.
It does not disappoint. Congrats to Spyderco and Taichung for making this thin, light weight, low cost folder. Great design and well built.
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Well, this wasn't on my radar before, and now it is!
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Thank you for the great picture show.
Well done!
Makes me feel even better that I ordered one.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

Thank you Uke!
Great write up and great pics to enjoy, this is going on the wish list now.
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Great review with pics. Most Excellent.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Uke

Post by Uke »

BelgiumRofls wrote:Excellent. I can only resist the temptation to buy for so long.
Uke wrote: the blade has that dull 'thuck' as it snaps back into the handle, as opposed to the sharp hollow 'snick' of the other FRN lightweights.
Sound is an underrated quality in reviews :p
Haha! Maybe next time I should include a few audio files next to the pictures :D
timlara

Post by timlara »

Nice writeup, thanks for posting!

Got mine today and I agree, it's a winner. I *really* like the handle texture. Particularly on drawing from the pocket, the back part of the handle opposite the clip feels like it is stuck to my thumb with velcro! The pattern definitely works great and looks cool too.
Tim
Parkourdude

Post by Parkourdude »

To be honest I was a pretty apathetic when I heard about this one.

But now that I've seen proper photos, I'm seriously tempted! The stainless steel backspacer looks gorgeous and the frn texturing is actually angled to provide traction like the standard Spyderco frn. That attention to detail blows me away.
benben

Post by benben »

Thank you for taking the time to post this, very well done sir!
Slicey Dicey

Post by Slicey Dicey »

Great review! Sums up my views as well. I've been carrying this and a Lil Native back-to-back the last week and I still can't figure out which one I like more. And I REALLY like them both. the Lil Native is more robust for sure but heavier and thicker.

I will say that I did have to open the Chaparral up after a few days and SLIGHTLY bend the spring to reduce the tension on that lock back. With that thin metal, it was just too much on my delicate little thumbs. Now it's amazing.