Military service...Past, Present, Future???

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
yablanowitz

Re: Military service...Past, Present, Future???

Post by yablanowitz »

U.S. Navy submarine service 76 to 82. MOS 3356. For those who don't speak Navy, that means Machinist Mate, Nuclear field, Engineering Lab Technician. And for those to whom all that is Greek, it means chemical and radiological control tech and nuclear power plant mechanical operator. (I helped make the boat go through the water and kept the bad zoomies away)
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

South African Army...Rhodesian Army...
Another Time, Another Place...
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:01 pm
Over the years I've served with a few Marines and Soldiers who were former SADF and RA soldiers. Like you said, "another time, another place". I've had several long conversations with some of them about the insurgency/war that they dealt with...interesting to say the very least.

If I ever make it back to NZ I'd love to buy you a pint and get your thoughts on life during those years. Glad you made it out.
Stuart Ackerman

OH62
it would be a pleasure, Sir!
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

South African Armoured Corps 1984-86. Finished up as an armoured car troop commander.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Make that 2!
OldHoosier62 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:33 pm
Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Over the years I've served with a few Marines and Soldiers who were former SADF and RA soldiers. Like you said, "another time, another place". I've had several long conversations with some of them about the insurgency/war that they dealt with...interesting to say the very least.

If I ever make it back to NZ I'd love to buy you a pint and get your thoughts on life during those years. Glad you made it out.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

PSquared wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:51 pm
South African Armoured Corps 1984-86. Finished up as an armoured car troop commander.
Congratulations to you also for surviving a rough period in your country's history.
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

U.S. Army '61 - '64, 4th Armd. Div, 94th Arty., Germany. '64-'66 inactive reserve.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

First off, thank you all for your service to your countries and for a very cool thread!!!

I was U.S. Army enlisted from 1980-89, MOS 98G3LCM, 98G3LVN, and 98C, which means I was an Electronic Warfare Signals Intelligence Intercept Operator in Chinese-Mandarin and Vietnamese, as well as a Signals Intelligence (SIGINT) Traffic Analyst.

I got out to use my Vietnamese and other skills on the Human Intelligence (HUMINT) side as an Intelligence Officer for the Defense Intelligence Agency Stony Beach Program (1989-91) and the Joint Casualty Resolution Center (JCRC)/Joint Task Force-Full Accounting (JTF-FA) (1991-94) investigating the fates of US POW/MIA from the Vietnam War.

Again, thank you all for your service and for being part of the Spyderco community!

Stay safe,

Mike
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I remember we were on a jump and I was one of the last 3. The plane had to turn around and go back over the drop zone. In the meantime, a bad storm arose and they jumped us anyway. After going over 2 miles from the drop zone, I landed in a swamp with my risers tangled around my feet. The winds were so strong my chute reinflated and started pulling me along like a water skier behind a boat. I was going feet first and water was coming up between my legs as I butt skied and I I thought I would drown. I kept my head and finally got one side free (oxidation kept the quick releases from working) and came to a stop in the swamp in about waist deep water. Fun times.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Fire Control Tech, Guns, USS Buchanan DDG-14, ‘62-‘63, WesPac, Golden Shellback.

Fire Control Tech, Ballistic Missile, Polaris boats (Boomers), out of Rota, Spain and Charleston. If I revealed what we did I’d have to kill myself.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

USN for 6 years, '77-'83, as an Avionics Tech, (NEC 6612,) in A7 light attack squadrons.
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

When do we get to sit around with a case of Bud and tell war stories? :D
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:
I read somewhere that these experiences informed your Sustain design. Is that right?
Stuart Ackerman

Partly, but more the Serrata, as per extended edge holding and ease of sharpening, like a flat pebble or rock for example.
Stuart Ackerman

BTW, I feel that a good 4 inch fixed blade with a syntheitc handle of some sort, would have done me fine... :)
Steel type is irrelevant, but there are better stainless steels now, compared to when I served.