Spyderco River Knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you be interested in a new Spyderco river knife?

YES! Where has this been all my life?
11%
NO! The current 420 market offerings are perfect, who needs an awesome performance river knife.
7%
MAYBE. Convince me why I should care.
14%
H1
13%
LC200N
20%
MagnaCut
5%
Other - propose in comments
3%
Serrated edge
20%
Plain edge
4%
Combo edge or double bevel
4%

Total votes: 76

PSquared

Re: Spyderco River Knife?

Post by PSquared »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:01 am
PSquared wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:10 pm
I went through this when I was still diving and paddling regularly. Over the course of 25 years I looked at various options for knives attached to my PFDs and BCDs. The Spyderco options I’ve tried have included various Salt folders, the Enuff Salt and a Caspian Salt 2.

For reasons stated in other posts above, my preference is for a fixed blade. From my experience, the Caspian, whilst it looks good on paper and in pictures isn’t the easiest knife to get out of it’s sheath particularly with cold hands and / or wearing gloves. For me, fully serrated, is what I want on/in water and the Caspian’s plain edge section is possibly wasted blade against wet, synthetic material. Sure it has an excellent, secure grip and is very secure in its sheath but the Enuff Salt ended up on both my PFD and on my BCD along with a “Z knife” / line cutter.

Without hesitation, I’d recommend the Enuff Salt.
Thank you for that! Combo edge is my least favorite of the edge patterns. What would you think about the upcoming Swick 5 in SE? Are you a proponent of non pointy tips?
Apologies for the delay in replying. I prefer not to have a pointy tip in / on water though Peter1960 makes a valid point (I mostly paddled tupperware 'yaks).

Re the Swick 5 - I'm not sure how different it is size-wise to the 4 ... I think I'd still go for the Enuff - below a Caspian 2, Swick 4, Enuff and Aqua Salt as a size comparison

Woodpuppy

Re: Spyderco River Knife?

Post by Woodpuppy »

Thanks for the insight @Peter1960! I’m in Kevlar canoes in flat water so I wouldn’t have thought of that.

Thanks for the comparison pic @Psquared!