Looking for an improvised Yojimbo 'light.' Any suggestions?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Stas

Re: Looking for an improvised Yojimbo 'light.' Any suggestions?

Post by Stas »

JSumm wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:44 am
I love seeing all these Wharncliffes. And very interesting about the Yojimbo and Delica handle comparisons. The Yojimbo is still on my want list.
Stas wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:21 am
The DLT exclusive in 20cv and DLC coating makes it pretty close to salt, right?
You still have a lot of internals that I would not take in an extended ocean bath. However, with 20CV's corrosion resistance pluse DLC and the coated liners and internals, you are right, that is about as close as we have seen on the Yojimbo as far as corrosion resistant. In my experience, sometimes the worst corrosion can be found around the edges of the skelonitized liners inside where they sit on the scales and hide away. Where they cannot be easily wiped down, and they don't seem to dry as fast. The coated liners only seem to help in discouraging corrosion.
Thank you, Jeff! I didn't think of an extended ocean bath, just carrying IWB in the summer.
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Stas wrote:
Considering the IWB solution, it eliminates the "lightness" requirement but raises the question of corrosion resistance...

Also, funny but I see in the catalog Yojimbo and Caribbean weight is exactly the same. Very different form factor, but the action, the lock (and materials/built quality) is pretty close I guess. But it is bigger!
I'm notoriously tough on the corrosion resistance of folding knives, and on spydercos DLC knives with coated hardware, liners, etc., I've never rusted a thing.

On DLC knives without coated internals, I have rusted uncoated parts. Whatever Spyderco uses for their stop pins has garbage corrosion resistance. It's always the first part to rust for me....

:unicorn
Stas

Post by Stas »

vivi wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:13 am
Stas wrote:
Considering the IWB solution, it eliminates the "lightness" requirement but raises the question of corrosion resistance...

Also, funny but I see in the catalog Yojimbo and Caribbean weight is exactly the same. Very different form factor, but the action, the lock (and materials/built quality) is pretty close I guess. But it is bigger!
I'm notoriously tough on the corrosion resistance of folding knives, and on spydercos DLC knives with coated hardware, liners, etc., I've never rusted a thing.

On DLC knives without coated internals, I have rusted uncoated parts. Whatever Spyderco uses for their stop pins has garbage corrosion resistance. It's always the first part to rust for me....

Thanks, Vivi! I really appreciate your experiments and input into the DLC and corrosion resistance subject. I think I've read most, if not all, of your topics.
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
cjk

Post by cjk »

vivi wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:31 pm
Just carry the Yojimbo IWB. Works a lot better with thin shorts.
I don't think anybody could convince me to carry a compression lock knife IWB unless it's tip down. They're just too easy to open.
Stas

Post by Stas »

cjk wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:07 am
vivi wrote:
I don't think anybody could convince me to carry a compression lock knife IWB unless it's tip down. They're just too easy to open.
that's a fair point!
vivi

Post by vivi »

cjk wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:07 am
vivi wrote:
All depends on how stiff the detent is. I've had no issues carrying my Yojumbo IWB tip up, but I did have issues carrying a Para 2 tip up in my back pocket.

Either way, knives carried tip down can still pop open.
:unicorn
Stas

Post by Stas »

Just remember in some older thread Michael Janich himself suggested Pacific Salt 2 and an Endura Trainer as a lightweight and more corrosion resistant alternative to Yojimbo.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Dragonfly 2 Wharn. You’ll never go back
phaust

Post by phaust »

JSumm wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:44 am
I love seeing all these Wharncliffes. And very interesting about the Yojimbo and Delica handle comparisons. The Yojimbo is still on my want list.
Stas wrote:
You still have a lot of internals that I would not take in an extended ocean bath. However, with 20CV's corrosion resistance plus DLC and the coated liners and internals, you are right, that is about as close as we have seen on the Yojimbo as far as corrosion resistant. In my experience, sometimes the worst corrosion can be found around the edges of the skelonitized liners inside where they sit on the scales and hide away. Where they cannot be easily wiped down, and they don't seem to dry as fast. The coated liners only seem to help in discouraging corrosion.
100% with you on liners and internals, and I wouldn't want to run a non Salt IWB during hot months.

I wanted to add though that there are some rust preventatives that later on thick to help with the liners. I like dry Teflon lubes for bike chains. Since they dry and are slick, they won't collect a bunch of grit like liquid lubes. You can also put it on in layers to thicken it up and improve the coverage. It goes on and feels like a layer/layers of candle wax. For parts like liners, I put it on when I get the knife and don't think I've ever needed to redo it. Without friction it isn't wearing off.

That plus hitting the liners, especially edges, with a Dremel with a loaded felt wheel loaded to give it a better finish makes a big difference for internal rust.
Stas

Post by Stas »

twinboysdad wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:17 pm
Dragonfly 2 instead of Yojimbo? Oh yes, those squirrel attacks are too common lately! :winking-tongue
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Stas wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:21 pm
twinboysdad wrote:
Dragonfly 2 instead of Yojimbo? Oh yes, those squirrel attacks are too common lately! :winking-tongue
Sorry I thought we were just talking EDC Wharncliffes. Y’all are knife fighters, carry on
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Dodge wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:55 pm
Salt 2 wharnie LC200N
So I changed my mind. I got mine today along with a RockJumper.

Hands down the Rockjumper is a better MBC base. Just need to add a Boye dent to the lock bar. No jimping on the ramp. A very slicey warnie. It feels awesome in hand.

The Salt2 LC200n warnie is a complete let down. Mine came with flashing on the FRN. The black coated hardware is not uniform. The green is dull unlike my Atlantic salt green. I almost thought I purchased a knock off. It is lighter, but at a cost of feeling quality in hand. I know Spyderco had to do a lot of redesign to delete the liners, make it more corrosion resistant, but this thing looks and feels cheap.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
Stas

Post by Stas »

twinboysdad wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:05 pm
Stas wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:21 pm
twinboysdad wrote:
Sorry I thought we were just talking EDC Wharncliffes. Y’all are knife fighters, carry on
I didn’t mean knife fighting :) But looking for “the knife with similar characteristics but a slightly slimmer profile”. And one of the important Yojimbo characteristics is being strong and capable as MBC blade if needed.

Dragonfly Wharnie is a nice little blade though, thank for the suggestion.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Lil Native Wharncliffe!!!

Just got my copy from the last Spyderco Dealers Sale, and I'm really loving it.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Stas

Post by Stas »

Dodge wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:24 pm
Dodge wrote:
Salt 2 wharnie LC200N

Hands down the Rockjumper is a better MBC base. Just need to add a Boye dent to the lock bar. No jimping on the ramp. A very slicey warnie. It feels awesome in hand.

The Salt2 LC200n warnie is a complete let down. Mine came with flashing on the FRN. The black coated hardware is not uniform. The green is dull unlike my Atlantic salt green. I almost thought I purchased a knock off. It is lighter, but at a cost of feeling quality in hand. I know Spyderco had to do a lot of redesign to delete the liners, make it more corrosion resistant, but this thing looks and feels cheap.
Oh I’m sorry about your experience with Salt2 LC200n. Didn’t knew FRN could have a different color. I quite like the weight of my Pacific Salt H1, but can imagine what you mean for the smaller knife with thinner stock…
Stas

Post by Stas »

Does Lil’ Temperance 3 LW carries lighter than Yojimbo 2?

I have G10 version of Lil’ Temperance 3 and it seems like the weight and thickness is pretty similar to Yo2.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Stas wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:38 am
Dodge wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:24 pm
Dodge wrote:
Salt 2 wharnie LC200N

Oh I’m sorry about your experience with Salt2 LC200n. Didn’t knew FRN could have a different color. I quite like the weight of my Pacific Salt H1, but can imagine what you mean for the smaller knife with thinner stock…
The Salt2 green is not as vibrant and almost a matte compared to my Atlantic salt. Like green grass versus the almost Toxic green.

It’s a nice knife if you are in the market for lighter cutting edge for your water bound tasks.
I’ve just been spoiled by quality H1/H2 options I guess?
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
Stas

Post by Stas »

vivi wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:13 am
Stas wrote:

Do you have experience with seki TiCN coating on non salt models? I guess they leave the liners uncoated?
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

ImageHave you considered the Jandelica or Jandura?
They are Mr Janich’s custom made reprofiled versions of the Delica and Endura.
The Kahr Arms Delica (above)was a model produced by Spyderco using the same profile.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
Stas

Post by Stas »

Ngati Pom wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:04 pm
ImageHave you considered the Jandelica or Jandura?
They are Mr Janich’s custom made reprofiled versions of the Delica and Endura.
The Kahr Arms Delica (above)was a model produced by Spyderco using the same profile.
Sadly I missed Kahr Arms Delica at the time... Would love Jandura, but there is no way I can get one in Europe.