GRX-810

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Hatuletoh

GRX-810

Post by Hatuletoh »

I just read this article and thought, "hey, maybe that stuff could be used for a new mule? Or would it only work for handles?"

https://www.nasa.gov/centers-and-facili ... s-economy/
VandymanG

Re: GRX-810

Post by VandymanG »

Interesting read. Don’t know the answer to the question. But it got me wondering can you 3D print a quality knife?
Greg

* EDC - - - PM2 - S45VN, PM2 - Crucarta, Native 5 - CRUWEAR, Manix 2 LW - CPM M4

Mules in current use M398 and K294
VeraX_Knives

Post by VeraX_Knives »

VandymanG wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 12:42 am
Interesting read. Don’t know the answer to the question. But it got me wondering can you 3D print a quality knife?
Yes. You can.

Obviously relative wording there but this is what's next FYI guys.

Edit: @VandymanG, reason why I posted this is cause i had the same questions and it's... Uncanny how the issues we are used to are actually not pertinent and taken care of in the beginning.

The only science that is being done still, as far as material science goes, is semiconductors mainly and composites of new polymers. Metallurgy is old. It just is. Although I personally don't believe that it's been fully explored it's.. about as close as I can say to that.
You say E = mc² × I argue E² = m²c⁴ + p²c²
Jason Ward shockey01@gmail.com +1 412-726-8610 My Discord
VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

Would be cool if this material could be 3d printed into a knife. Don’t know anything about the subject but that caught my attention when it said this material could be used in 3d printing.
Greg

* EDC - - - PM2 - S45VN, PM2 - Crucarta, Native 5 - CRUWEAR, Manix 2 LW - CPM M4

Mules in current use M398 and K294
VeraX_Knives

Post by VeraX_Knives »

I did say relative for a reason, but depending on how it's done I could.. easily see it being possible. Cheap? Not quite. Dependable? Also a question mark. Id compare it to FS welding aluminum. It works if it's done correctly.
Mr_Whiskerz

Post by Mr_Whiskerz »

This just seems like sintering?
VeraX_Knives

Post by VeraX_Knives »

Mr_Whiskerz wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 6:14 pm
This just seems like sintering?

It is, and doping at the right times etcetera. Nothing really new at all.
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

GRX-810 is in the wrong family of superalloys for use as blade material, and it has no carbides. It would also not make a particularly good handle material. It's about 10% denser than steel, and probably has a HRC somewhere around 40 so would scratch easily.

High tungsten stellites like Stellite 20 (45-50% carbide volume, ~60HRC, very high strength and extreme corrosion resistance) are more in the direction of what should be tried as a blade material. Stellite 20 powder can be HIPed into finished parts, and the PM/HIP parts have about 3x the toughness of cast Stellite 20 (but still only about 1/3 the toughness of Maxamet IIRC). Stellite 6 has seen some use as a blade material, but is much softer and has a much lower carbide volume than Stellite 20.

Stellite 20 is the end of the road as far as wear/abrasion resistant alloys go. To achieve higher wear resistance, you have to go to cemented carbide ceramics.
VeraX_Knives

Post by VeraX_Knives »

Accutron wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 6:12 am
GRX-810 is in the wrong family of superalloys for use as blade material, and it has no carbides. It would also not make a particularly good handle material. It's about 10% denser than steel, and probably has a HRC somewhere around 40 so would scratch easily.

High tungsten stellites like Stellite 20 (45-50% carbide volume, ~60HRC, very high strength and extreme corrosion resistance) are more in the direction of what should be tried as a blade material. Stellite 20 powder can be HIPed into finished parts, and the PM/HIP parts have about 3x the toughness of cast Stellite 20 (but still only about 1/3 the toughness of Maxamet IIRC). Stellite 6 has seen some use as a blade material, but is much softer and has a much lower carbide volume than Stellite 20.

Stellite 20 is the end of the road as far as wear/abrasion resistant alloys go. To achieve higher wear resistance, you have to go to cemented carbide ceramics.
Which my best friend knows more than me about ^. It's true what this man says however I didn't even look at the alloy for any phys properties cause we're already doing the same basic thing with PM steel just.. you're changing a lot of the physics and well namely chemistry which.. I could argue is physics. But ya there's a massive knowledge gap here and.. I am far from the sharpest knife in the drawer but BTW @Accutron, CPM MPL-1 has been produced I believe I know it's patented and.. I'm assuming that I was asking for a 2000+ ac1 but I don't know and that's 46% primary MC. Never been used as a knife and I know that it would sell here for the marketing stuff alone. Been saying this for a while actually.

Spyderco isn't going to copy another ceramic material IMO. They'd make their own because.. marketing. Why not right 👍
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Hatuletoh wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 10:26 pm
I just read this article and thought, "hey, maybe that stuff could be used for a new mule? Or would it only work for handles?"

https://www.nasa.gov/centers-and-facili ... s-economy/
After a bit of google-fu it’s probably best used in a washer for the owner that sits on the couch and spydie-flicks he’s blade opened and closed a thousand times a minute. Will be able to withstand the heat generated

:winking-tongue

But basically a part in a turbine engine that gets extremely hot
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.