My first liner failure:(

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
CKE

My first liner failure:(

Post by CKE »

WOW...just as I was about to post how impressed with this Timberline Envoy I just got, I realized it fails the spine whack test. Worse yet...if I just thumb it open, it can be closed like a slipjoint. Yikes says me...never had a knife do that before. I like the knife(it was free) the handle is comfy and the blade is AUS-8 so a good user, but now, makes me think I like to have ten digits more than a user knife. It just engages on the tang, it is flush on the left side. I think a few HARD flick openings and it will wear in a bit. 420-J2 liners so not sure how good they are?? At least the blade is not 420-J2 :)
At first it felt like a solid little folder, better than comparable CRKT folders I have had. Quite impressed overall and if the liner "sets" into place better this might become a beater and get a little pocket time. Nothing compared to my Spydies though :) Take Care all!!!!
Keep Fighting the Good Fight!
Ray.Hood

Sorry to hear that bro.

Post by Ray.Hood »

I've only had one go myself, was not pretty at all. I used to swear by liner locks, still like them. Have a lockback now, not as fast to open or close.
Seems stronger tho. Auto are a dif. story.Have owned four. Never had a failure. Depends on the laws whereever you are.
CKE

Post by CKE »

I have a MT LCC/DA but it never sees the sunshine :) Very politically incorrect in Canada. I had to have an auto in my collection and it will never go anywhere. Just for me to admire in the wee hours of the morning :) Hope you are doing well there Ray :) Take Care!!!
Ray.Hood

You too my friend.

Post by Ray.Hood »

Life is cold and rainy here. My autos don't see the light of day anymore either.
still play w/ them anyway. Take care CKE. Ray
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

sounds like a poorly made knife.
CKE

Post by CKE »

It is and it isn't. Aluminum scales, AUS-8 blade, very solid...just doesnot engage enough of the way over. Hard openings have not helped...might just dissassemble and try to tweak it a bit. Or leave it and just put it in the collection. Take Care!!!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Well, if it's any consolation Craig, I attended the NY Custom Knife Show this past weekend, handled some beautiful custom liner locks, but a few of them, with prices over ten times the MSRP of the Envoy, behaved more like slip joints that locking folders.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
fret

Post by fret »

The linerlocks I've had and have needed to "wear in" a bit before they worked correctly. When someone asks me why I am sitting there flicking my knife, I tell them I must do it to "wear it in" and besides it is fun to do anyways. At least for me it is.
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Yipes! :eek:
Be careful Craig! I had a Gerber EZ-Out fail the spine whack test on me...LITERALLY on me! LOL! Good thing I didn't know how to sharpen anything besides a pencil at the time! :D

Deac' my NY bro...are you serious about them Liner...er, "slip joints"?! Mahalo much again bro!

God bless guys! ;)
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
OutofGum

Post by OutofGum »

How hard do you usually whack the spine during this test?
To the pessimist the glass is half empty, to the optimist the glass is half full, to the engineer its twice as big as it needs to be.