Best Spyderco budget beater knife.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jurmuscle

Best Spyderco budget beater knife.

Post by Jurmuscle »

What would be your vote for a good budget beater for when you know you might be doing some crazy stuff and don't wanna loose your main knife.

Also to help practice sharpening. I was able to practice on a few of my buddies cheap knifes. The reprofile went well. The tip took some work as the bevel seemed to be wider than 40 on only the tip. But I could shave arm hair after.

Thanks
Last edited by Jurmuscle on Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
:usflag :bug-red :bug-white-red :usflag
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom
Jurmuscle

Re: Best Spyderco budget beater knife.

Post by Jurmuscle »

Accidently quoted myself
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Tenacious, Persistence
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

It depends on what crazy stuff you’re doing.
I’m very weight conscious so I typically avoid carrying additional beater knives, especially since the less expensive ones, like the China Spydies, have full liners.

So my typical beater blade if I expect to do crazy cutting is some type of utility blade.
If prying is on the menu, I carry a pry tool.

In fact, I always carry a 3” pry tool from CountyComm in my wallet, so I will never fall for the temptation to pry with my knife.

I also carry the Big Idea Designs TPT slide utility knife very regularly. I rotate between the TPT and a Victorinox Cadet as my 5th pocket backup knife, depending on what I’m doing.

I mostly work in an office environment, so the backup tools mentioned above will usually be sufficient for my needs.
If I’m doing harder types of work, I will pick dedicated suitable tools, but often with the same philosophy, just bigger. When working around the property I often use the Gerber Prybrid as my utility blade. It is way more rugged and capable then the TPT and doubles as a prybar. Though the prytool is a bit limited in its usability, it’s available without needing another tool, and very rugged.

If I were to carry a dedicated beater knife, I would first consider if a Mora or Hultafors fixed blade was a viable choice. If it had to be a folder, then I would definitively look at the Chinese Spyderco’s like Tenacious, Ambitious etc. They are very well made, but they are a bit on the heavy side for me. The blade steel is OK for what your paying.
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

aicolainen wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:40 am
It depends on what crazy stuff you’re doing.
I’m very weight conscious so I typically avoid carrying additional beater knives, especially since the less expensive ones, like the China Spydies, have full liners.

So my typical beater blade if I expect to do crazy cutting is some type of utility blade.
If prying is on the menu, I carry a pry tool.

In fact, I always carry a 3” pry tool from CountyComm in my wallet, so I will never fall for the temptation to pry with my knife.

I also carry the Big Idea Designs TPT slide utility knife very regularly. I rotate between the TPT and a Victorinox Cadet as my 5th pocket backup knife, depending on what I’m doing.

I mostly work in an office environment, so the backup tools mentioned above will usually be sufficient for my needs.
If I’m doing harder types of work, I will pick dedicated suitable tools, but often with the same philosophy, just bigger. When working around the property I often use the Gerber Prybrid as my utility blade. It is way more rugged and capable then the TPT and doubles as a prybar. Though the prytool is a bit limited in its usability, it’s available without needing another tool, and very rugged.

If I were to carry a dedicated beater knife, I would first consider if a Mora or Hultafors fixed blade was a viable choice. If it had to be a folder, then I would definitively look at the Chinese Spyderco’s like Tenacious, Ambitious etc. They are very well made, but they are a bit on the heavy side for me. The blade steel is OK for what your paying.
Crazy I mean for example, crawling through dirt where dirt will get in my pocket, quickly moving from place to place going up and down pulling guard, and if I get stuck in rain.

-Tom
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Ahh, I misunderstood. I was thinking beater as a backup / secondary, but you want a beater primary knives for crazy days. Gottcha :D

I’d go linerless Salt for that.
Salt 2 or Pac Salt depending on size preference. Native 5 salt if you want that additional feeling of bombproof-ness.
It’s the most worry free knives on the planet, and not crazy expensive if you should loose one
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

aicolainen wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:58 am
Ahh, I misunderstood. I was thinking beater as a backup / secondary, but you want a beater primary knives for crazy days. Gottcha :D

I’d go linerless Salt for that.
Salt 2 or Pac Salt depending on size preference. Native 5 salt if you want that additional feeling of bombproof-ness.
It’s the most worry free knives on the planet, and not crazy expensive if you should loose one
Lolol. I was considering the salts, now that you mention it tho. People carry 2 knifes on regular? 1 good and 1 beater. I was thinking bout maybe the PM3 LW. I also have been doing more EDC research than I should have and have been thinking bout flashlight and maybe a key thing as well. The journey this knife has took me on lol.
Last edited by Jurmuscle on Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Tom
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Slow down and enjoy the ride man!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:04 am
Lol I am. I'm just bored and doing research. I got 4 day weekend.

-Tom
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

A Mora Eldris makes a good beater pocket knife. I'm not sure about Spyderco. Maybe a Byrd Cara Cara. With this knife, you can get FRN, G10, Stainless, or Titanium scales.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Any spyderco will do... it all depends what youre money to use ratio is. If a 200$ knife is not worth being used gently to you then you pick so many spydies that will be worthy beaters. If you think those are more collectable then a tenacious will fit you greatly. At home i almost always carry 2 knives one beater and one edc. At work i only carry what i do not care to see scratches or damaged edges on. With other words My g10 and original manixes are used at home and go with me to every place but work that is for the lesser LW manixes or other spyders i do not treasure so much.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

As far as beater knives from Spyderco I have a CaraCara that served me pretty good but I stopped using it when I tried to move the clip and the screws stripped out. It’s A back up in the truck now.

If I think there’s potential to damage my knife I’ll just use a razor knife. As far as prying. I don’t ever pry with my knives, I’ll use a prybar or a screwdriver. Damaging a prybar or a $10 screwdriver is way better than messing up a good knife blade.

If you’re looking for something “budget” I don’t know if the enuff @ $138 would qualify as “budget” but I’ve been very pleased using mine at work. It’s very tough plus it’s easy to sharpen.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Jurmuscle wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:47 am

Crazy I mean for example, crawling through dirt where dirt will get in my pocket, quickly moving from place to place going up and down pulling guard, and if I get stuck in rain.

Any Spyderco can handle that, but if you want the most idiot proof option go with one of the Salt models, but remember a knife is a cutting tool and not a pry bar.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

If you fancy or have a use for Wharnies, then you might want to check out the Byrd versions. For around $35.00 you can beat on 'em all day long. A lot of knife AFI's dump on 8Cr13MoV but with Spyderco's heat treat protocol, I would not be a bit surprised if someone said that its edge stability was superior to H1. None of the Byrds I have purchased have any lock rock or blade play whatsoever. My two most recent purchases are the serrated FFG Harrier 2 and Cara Cara 2 Wharnies. The tip on the Cara Cara serrated Wharnie may be a bit too fragile for hard use as a large scallop goes all the way to the tip, but the Harrier 2 is just right as Goldilocks would say. (for me anyway) In a way, I'm beginning to feel a bit guilty for neglecting my other knives and giving this humble tool so much pocket time.
Oloung1

Post by Oloung1 »

I'll be the fourth to mention the frn Byrd CaraCara 2, length restrictions aside, it has a decent edge length and it's fairly easy to resharpen. The only thing that may be missing is the chamfered frn scale edges of the Harrier 2.
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

Oloung1 wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:45 am
I'll be the fourth to mention the frn Byrd CaraCara 2, length restrictions aside, it has a decent edge length and it's fairly easy to resharpen. The only thing that may be missing is the chamfered frn scale edges of the Harrier 2.
I never even really looked at those tbh. What's the difference besides the hole shape? The price looks good for what I would need it.

-Tom
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Don’t overlook the Cat, Alcyone, and Polestar. Not the least expensive, but still in the budget category.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Jurmuscle wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:14 pm
Oloung1 wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:45 am
I never even really looked at those tbh. What's the difference besides the hole shape? The price looks good for what I would need it.
The fit of the back lock is second to none. Bank vault. Something that can't be said about the Seki's across the board.....never mind that they cost a third of the Seki's. Hard use favors liners IMHO.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

you need a resilience. that knife makes a good beater and 8cr13mov is easy to sharpen. it's also a cheap knife that you can carry in place of your s110v pm2 when you know you're going to abuse the knife. not that the pm2 can't handle it, but if you're in the field for a few days and you'll be crawling through mud, you don't want to lose the pm2.

as far as carrying multiple knives, i almost always have at least 2, and usually i'm carrying 4. i know that sounds insane, but hear me out... i carry a plain edge edc in my front pocket for general tasks. i carry a serrated salt in my waistband for emergencies, cutting fibrous materials, and for times i need to cut something messy without being able to clean it right away (i just cut a breakfast burrito yesterday morning for my kids, for example). the, in my wallet, i also have sak rambler and a ladybug hawkbill salt. the small knives are backups to the larger knives, but they also add a lot of extra capability due to extra tools and different blade shapes. also, when i go somewhere where i can't carry larger knives for legal purposes, the smaller knives can accomplish almost any cutting tasks i encounter without drawing unwanted attention.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:04 am
I must agree.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, Catcherman, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)