Giving the gift of a Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JoviAl

Giving the gift of a Spyderco

Post by JoviAl »

I’m not trying to virtue signal or anything lame like that, but I’m excited to be gifting a friend who loves knives her first Spyderco tomorrow - A Manix 2 XL (a personal favourite of mine and a fantastic bit of kit for the type of outdoor work we both do). She’s been helping me out a lot recently doing some work stuff and I wanted to do something nice for her in return. A Spyderco will be a huge step up in quality from her usual fare.

If you had to gift a Spyderco to someone or already do gift Spyderco knives to people, what would be/is your top choice to gift?
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Manixguy@1994

Re: Giving the gift of a Spyderco

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I have gifted Spyderco knives and it gives me great pleasure, the smile is priceless. I commend you for your generosity. Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Striple765Rider

Post by Striple765Rider »

I gave my cousin a tenacious for his 17th birthday. Nothing really special.
My wife kinda just took over my matriarch 2 and Para 3 LW though so does that count?? 😂
Delica VG-10, Endura ZDP-189, Stretch 2 SS K390, Matriarch 2 VG-10, Para 3 LW BD1N, Para 2 CruCarta, Para 2 MaxaMet, Yojimbo 2 S30V, Manix 2 S30V, Knife Joy Manix 2 in 20CV, Teal Para 2 in S90V, Bade HQ Manix 2 Mint with M4, Blade HQ Shaman Micarta with M4, Mule in 15V, Delica in super blue/SUS410, Blade HQ Para 2 Natural Jade with satin M4, REC “Avocado” Para 2 204P, GPK White with DLC Rex 45, Knifejoy exclusive SpydieChef, Techno2, Caribbean sheepsfoot with dyed scales, cutlery shoppe orange/black DLC HXP wharncliffe Para 2, Endura VG10 SE wharncliffe project knife and a Bill Moran drop point in VG-10.

-Dave
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

What a generous and amazing gift you are giving here!

If i was gifting someone a spyderco i would probably give them a manix aswel.
But in the past i did for example give my Brother a Native 5 g10 when it first came out.
He was talking about it for awhile and when he moved to live together with his now wife i gave it to him as a housewarming present. He still loves it today! :grin-smiling-eyes
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Striple765Rider wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:47 am
I gave my cousin a tenacious for his 17th birthday. Nothing really special.
My wife kinda just took over my matriarch 2 and Para 3 LW though so does that count?? 😂
I feel you on the wife front - mine has appropriated a dragonfly with custom burgundy micarta scales (which somebody stole from her) and more recently an Ambitious SE. Both are ‘ideal’ for her needs, although what those needs actually are has yet to be expounded upon (possibly a need to pocket any knife that takes her fancy on a given day whilst pretending she doesn’t like me having so many 🤔 Ah, the mysteries of the fairer sex!)
- Al

Dream knives -
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The model depends on who the gift is for.

I gifted my brother a Native 5 LW last year but he wants something with serrations for his job. So I’ll look for a SE PM2 or something similar to that, this year. I gifted my cousin a combo edge Endura for her job as a State trooper but she recently mentioned interest in an Assist, so I’m planning to purchase an Assist for her this year.

Spyderco makes a knife for pretty much everyone! :cheap-sunglasses
- Nick :bug-red
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:21 am
The model depends on who the gift is for.

I gifted my brother a Native 5 LW last year but he wants something with serrations for his job. So I’ll look for a SE PM2 or something similar to that, this year. I gifted my cousin a combo edge Endura for her job as a State trooper but she recently mentioned interest in an Assist, so I’m planning to purchase an Assist for her this year.

Spyderco makes a knife for pretty much everyone! :cheap-sunglasses
They really do! Both a delight and a curse (to our bank accounts mainly 🤪).
- Al

Dream knives -
benben

Post by benben »

I think at last count I've gifted away 5 or 6 Delica's to new knife people, I don't actually own a Delica anymore.

Very nice gesture sir, well done!
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I started a similar thread a few years ago.

The Dragonfly is usually my favorite knife to gift, it seems universally admired. Small enough to be in-obtrusive, large enough to be useful.

Gifting a larger knife like. Manix 2XL seems a very bold gesture. I need to get some more friends like you, Al!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

I just gave my best friend a new Spyderco Mule with some sweet custom scales for his wedding.
LeDe

Post by LeDe »

I don't really have that much of this opportunity here.
The only person who does not find me weird for loving knives is my wife.
It is when I offered her her pink Dragonfly that i started digging my own hole further.
It has been quite a costly year. So good deed dont always pays off I guess. Unless we think buying more knives than you need is a good thing, wait.. do we?
Guts

Post by Guts »

Gifted a cousin of mine a PM2 for his bday/xmas (december bday) since he used to carry a crappy knife. Gifted another cousin a Manix 2 LW since he also carried a crappy knife. I've given my sister a Para 3 LW since she doesn't have any knives. Think I gave my brother in law a Lil Native, a Para 3, and a Yojimbo 2, but he's also a knife guy and he's gifted me some as well over the years. Gifted my dad a Tenacious, Native 5 LW, and a Salt 2. He's the toughest on his knives so I was trying to find one right for him. Originally gave a Delica but later a Dragonfly 2 to my mom since she wanted something smaller.

Guess I give away more knives than I thought.
:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Within the last 30 days I gave my nephew a Spyderco Sustain.

I've given away at least 5 to 7 knives, all to family members.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

I've given away a few Tenacious and Delicas over the years.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I've given the Native 5 and Delica to family members.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I have gifted Mules with custom handles to people really close to me. In something like MagnaCut or SPY27 so that they won't have any corrosion issue. For sharpening, I see them often and always have stones on me just in case 😂.

As far as folder goes though, i only gifted one, a Native 5 G10 w/liners, to my brother. It was the best folder I ever owned and I wanted him to experience that !

However, for non-knife people I think I would go towards something like a Tenacious, Astute, Efficient, N5 LW or even UKPK. Depending on what I think would fit them the most!
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
LeDe

Post by LeDe »

People around me are not just non-knife people. I gifted my brother a victorinox Classic. When I asked a few months later if he ever carried it, he said and I quote/translate exactly: " I am not going to travel around with a knife"...
So when I see a sale, i cant even justify buying a knife for someone else ...
Matus

Post by Matus »

I gifted an M4 Sage 5 to my wife. Since it is still not sticking out of my back, then I guess she likes it )))

I am considering to git the sprint Catcherman to a friend of mine who is a fisherman.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

An Atlantic Salt and a Swick to my singlehanding sailor friend. A Delica to an Army friend. A Caly to a friend who is a field biologist. A Dfly for my wife. I can remember them because with each one I thought to myself, "I'm really gonna miss that knife." Of course I don't...have many others.

I have never been able to give away a Manix. For some reason I need all the Manixes.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:33 am
I have never been able to give away a Manix. For some reason I need all the Manixes.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C